PDA

View Full Version : Daily Mail - nostalgia in the skies

crewmeal
1st Mar 2013, 05:32
At last something interesting from the DM. I certainly remember wearing my white jacket and 'dicky bow' wheeling the caviar trolley when there were 27 seats on a classic 747.

Flying-high: Stunning images reveal bygone era of glitz and glamor in the skies long before mass travel, budget airlines and heightened security took over air travel | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2286312/Flying-high-Stunning-images-reveal-bygone-era-glitz-glamor-skies-long-mass-travel-budget-airlines-heightened-security-took-air-travel.html)

The SSK
1st Mar 2013, 08:45
A colleague of mine flew BOAC to Rome on an ID ticket and was upgraded to First. After the meal he was asked if he wanted dessert and settled just for a few grapes. A silver bowl was produces, a quarter bottle of champagne was emptied into it, and the grapes dipped in the champers before being handed to him. Now that’s class.

happybiker
1st Mar 2013, 15:21
Excellent stuff and not a shell suit, onesie or pair of jeans in sight......Hooray!!

WHBM
2nd Mar 2013, 08:29
One thing apparent is how tight-pitched the long-haul F seating was compared to nowadays with suites etc.

I have a BOAC 1950s timetable with a photo of in-flight service in progress. The (inevitably) 60-something couple are seated there, the man in dinner jacket and black tie, the woman with all her pearls on. Quite how this equated with flights in only semi-reclining seats, invariably overnight, and one/two day total journey time I am not quite sure. They would have been a crumpled mess disembarking.

Tableview
2nd Mar 2013, 08:31
My parents used to dress up to the nines even to travel in MiserY class. They could never understand how I could travel on intercontinental trips in jeans and a loose shirt and casual shoes!

Centaurus
2nd Mar 2013, 11:06
Excellent stuff and not a shell suit, onesie or pair of jeans in sight......Hooray!!

Nor today's typical Aussie bogans on Jetstar or Virgin "dressed" in the obligatory construction worker black singlet, board shorts, baseball cap reversed with sunnies over the top, flip-flops (foot-thongs), at least two water bottles and not forgetting tattoos on arms, neck and calves..:ugh:

DaveReidUK
2nd Mar 2013, 11:10
Can't decide which I like most - the "scale model" Concorde or the "portable alter". :O

603DX
2nd Mar 2013, 14:31
I'm rather puzzled by the "scale model" Concorde photograph. Certainly, if it is a non-flying mock-up, it's a very, very large one, maybe even full size. The only "scale model" I can think of was the reduced scale advertising one which used to be on the roundabout to Heathrow. But I find it hard to believe that it might be an actual airworthy example, for these reasons:

The critical vortex-generating strakes below the cockpit windows seem to be absent.
The small protruding sensors on the nose cone also aren't visible.
The paint scheme (white and natural finish) looks rather odd.
Anyone else have thoughts on this conundrum?

DaveReidUK
2nd Mar 2013, 15:21
Anyone else have thoughts on this conundrum?

Found it, thanks to Google.

Concorde mock-up at the 1967 Paris Air Show:

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/550x/60/c3/f1/60c3f1ff15e5831636b755c1293ec0a5.jpg

603DX
2nd Mar 2013, 16:01
Thanks, DaveReidUK. So it seems that it wasn't a "scale model" at all, it was a full-size mock-up. Very definitely non-flying!

I wonder what happened to that? With a reasonable number of actual Concordes now permanently grounded and exhibited at widely dispersed venues, it might be thought that the impressive-looking mock-up could be scrapped, but I would imagine that there would be some interest in preserving it for public showing.

BEagle
3rd Mar 2013, 18:22
I recall 'dressing up' even to travel home to Menorca on charter flights in the 1970s. One respected correct behaviour back then.

What I do find surprising is the way that 'pensioners in pink pyjamas', all of whom are considerably older than I am, choose to dress when flying these days. Bloody peasants! Some even sport visible tattoos.

Regrettably, the LoCo airlines have encouraged such untermensch to emerge from their appalling hovels to lower the standards of reasonable society. A quite appalling state of affairs.

I have to fly to Dublin in a few weeks. To avoid the worst excesses of the travelling public, I have chosen to fly with one of the more expensive airlines. I'm looking forward to a traditionally pleasant experience, rather than non-stop ear-battering advertising and uncomfortable seats covered in chewing gum.

TURIN
3rd Mar 2013, 18:28
Regrettably, the LoCo airlines have encouraged such untermensch to emerge from their appalling hovels to lower the standards of reasonable society. A quite appalling state of affairs.

A typical attitude of the Daily Hate reading 'elite'.

Jeesus!:mad:

BEagle
3rd Mar 2013, 18:52
I am most certainly not a Daily Mail reader.

Sorry if the truth hurts.....:rolleyes:

TURIN
3rd Mar 2013, 18:59
Yes indeed. How dare the less well off be allowed to fly.

They'll be wanting the vote next. :ugh:

BEagle
3rd Mar 2013, 19:22
How dare the less well off be allowed to fly.

Quite so. Actually, not so much the less well-off, more the lower social orders.

airsmiles
3rd Mar 2013, 20:58
Perfectly happy for the less well off to fly but can't they get dressed before they leave for the airport? Mind you it's pretty much the same in many towns and cities. Slob gear seems to be very much the norm.

BEagle
3rd Mar 2013, 21:17
Indeed, airsmiles.

By 'lower social orders', I do NOT mean 'working class', incidentally. I mean those of a loutish, "Wan't it now, don't care how" disposition.

airsmiles
4th Mar 2013, 08:54
Agreed BEagle.

I've no quibble at all with everyone enjoying the benefits of travel where they previously couldn't (me included), but I wonder whether the 'herd mentality' and the fact that air travel is so crowded and mundane now is partly because that's how we treat it ourselves.

It's all about pride, lack of personal respect etc. What would happen if people did start dressing smartly for air travel, even on the LCC's, or even walking into town come to that? i.e. treated it as something they enjoyed the experience of and felt good about. Generally people like an excuse to dress-up (nights out, weddings, family gatherings) and IMHO actually enjoy doing so. In our glum, stressed times, would it be something to give us some cheer?

So, as a hypothetical social experiment, if people re-awakened their pride and dress-sense, and despite the crowds in airports/airlines, what would happen to air travel? Would it start to become enjoyable again?

603DX
4th Mar 2013, 09:53
Interesting, this subject of dressing standards. Speaking personally as a retired former professional man, I wouldn't be seen dead in 'pink pyjamas' even at bedtime, let alone for air travel in public! And tattoos of any hideous shape or form are anathema to me. But my attitude to other people's bizarre apparel and 'tribal markings' is rather more liberal than some views expressed here. If they wish to dress like clowns in our blessedly free society, who am I to dictate otherwise? I will continue to dress for air travel as I have always done, in my own interpretation of what is widely termed 'smart casual'. In temperate climates, this generally includes a shirt with collar and tie, slacks with blazer or sports jacket, and brogues or hush puppies for footwear. For hotter regions, no tie or jacket perhaps, or maybe my summer lightweight linen jacket.

Having worked or holidayed in various parts of the world, my own creed is to dress appropriately to the local conditions, but always with an eye to style and smartness. But my experience of the astonishing range of clothing worn by the indigenous population overseas makes me much more tolerant of what the folk around me choose to wear, wherever I am.

I can't help feeling there is a rather unpleasant air of snobbishness and class distinction being shown here ... :(

airsmiles
4th Mar 2013, 10:36
603DX - not snobbishness, but pride and respect for oneself (& others) as I mentioned.

I was in travelling in business class to the USA a while back and there was a woman of maybe 40-45 years. Clearly not short of a penny or two and probably spent a fair bit of on herself I guess. However, she had an ill-fitting tee-shirt on and jogging trousers with stripes down the side on and no shoes. Christ, she was ready for bed for god's sake. She had the money to look so different but chose not to. This is what I mean by pride and respect and we are collectively a society that is what we choose to make it.

Some say if you don't like travelling with the everyone in economy at low cost, pay the price and upgrade but money doesn't change this attitide, as the example above shows.

603DX
4th Mar 2013, 11:26
I am sorry, but it is snobbery to look down on the sartorial tastes of others and express this distaste on a public and worldwide forum! No doubt many of us might think such thoughts on occasion, but prefer to keep them to ourselves! No-one appoints us as arbiters of what our fellow travellers may or may not wear, we do not live in a totalitarian state.

One person's "pride and respect for oneself and others" can be interpreted as "personal arrogance and disrespect for others", it all depends on how you look at it ... ;)

BEagle
4th Mar 2013, 12:48
I am sorry, but it is snobbery to look down on the sartorial tastes of others....

That might be true if the 'others' actually had a modicum of 'taste'. It is abundantly clear that many simply do not.

Dr Jekyll
4th Mar 2013, 13:33
my own interpretation of what is widely termed 'smart casual'. In temperate climates, this generally includes a shirt with collar and tie,

'Casual' means no tie as far as I'm concerned. What on earth would you regard as formal?

scotbill
4th Mar 2013, 14:06
What used to amuse me were the ones who assumed after a fortnight in Tenerife in January that the weather in Scotland must be the same - so boarded in their beach gear and flipflops.
There was a certain grim pleasure in anouncing that the temp back home was -3 Celsius - with a risk of snow.

WHBM
4th Mar 2013, 14:16
For all that some here may look down on the attire of the pax, for a piloting forum that's a bit inappropriate because the explosion of air travel across all social sectors, instead of just the "right one" of 50 years ago, has meant way more opportunities for crew employment nowadays than there was in that previous time, when it seems to have been just a select few, well-connected, ex-air force types.

airsmiles
4th Mar 2013, 14:29
603DX - we'll have to agree to differ re; snobbishness then. There's no way on earth any of my friends would describe me as arrogant and disrespectful for others!

I totally agree with the view that opening air travel out to all people whatever their background or income is a good thing for them and the people employed by the industry.

I just don't think there's a perfect correlation between the loss of the golden age of flying/enjoyment of air travel with the huge increase in the number of passengers carried. There are social factors at play and a general lowering of standards that affects all aspects of life.

603DX
4th Mar 2013, 14:37
'Casual' means no tie as far as I'm concerned. What on earth would you regard as formal?

Since you ask, my wardrobe includes a dark DJ suit, dress shirt, bow tie and cummerbund. It also includes a white tuxedo jacket for tropical climes, and a selection of dark and light coloured business suits. All of these are kept for formal occasions. 'Casual' dress for many of my generation can sometimes include the wearing of a tie with say a blazer or corduroy jacket, sometimes not. Depends on the occasion and the temperature, I will never suffer discomfort for the sake of pointless habit or convention.

What I do NOT regard as 'smart casual' attire are blue jeans (these are irredeemably working clothes, which I garden in), 'T' shirts or polo shirts. I am sure that opinions will differ widely here, it's mainly an age-related thing.

crewmeal
5th Mar 2013, 05:34
I believe it's all down to dress sense and standards. Is it true to and fair to say that all FR pax buy their clothes from Primark? We live in a world of choice and I also believe you get what you pay for. In those days choices for clothes and were limited and probably made in the cotton mills of Lancs. Now you can buy £10 jeans which can hang from your a''e. I remember when I used to buy Levis for a fortune, but they looked good, but wearing them on a long haul flight was sheer hell, because they were too tight and uncomfortable!

Maybe we should take a leaf out of the Arab dress sense, especially Saudis. Wear thobes which keep you comfortable and cool in the heat and warm in the cold. Oh yes and they are cheap to buy! (awaits for Primark to open in Jeddah)

India Four Two
5th Mar 2013, 05:59
Christ, she was ready for bed for god's sake.

A few years ago, my wife and I travelled in Thai First Class from Bangkok to London on a Star Alliance reward ticket. After take-off, we were given cotton pyjamas in that unique purple colour that Thai uses. After all the passengers had changed (in the toilet, I hasten to add), my wife commented "This looks like an upper-class lunatic asylum!"

Concerning what to wear when flying, I find it ironic that if you have paid for Business or First, you can wear what you like, but if you are hoping for an upgrade, you need to dress well, so that the agent might put those magic letters SFU (Suitable For Upgrade) in your file.

This is a fascinating thread. Sociologists in the future will find valuable source material here. ;)

603DX
5th Mar 2013, 09:46
if you are hoping for an upgrade, you need to dress well, so that the agent might put those magic letters SFU (Suitable For Upgrade) in your file.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that most gratifying feature of going for smartness rather than sloppiness on long haul flights! When I was still working, I was usually booked on business class by my firm, and I generally asked them to put me on BA flights where possible, so the trips were never uncomfortable. But with my quaint old-fashioned custom of never dressing down, I was several times upgraded without asking, to first. And some friends in Guernsey, who are frequent travellers on "SKI" exotic holidays ("Spending the Kid's Inheritance"), share my sober dress sense, so very often find themselves with free upgrades! On their last trip, the couple of friends accompanying them were dressed entirely for comfort rather than style, and suffered the humiliation of being rejected when they asked to be treated similarly.

What the Fug
5th Mar 2013, 09:55
One other benefit of being suitably attired I found out at a young age, was them nice officers from Special Branch (Terminal One) waived you through, or at least where civil when asking the usual questions.

Fantome
5th Mar 2013, 10:38
It is not necessarily snobbishness to feel a visceral aversion to slobs, where ever they may be encountered. If you have the misfortune to be seated next to one on a long flight whose body odour would repel a skunk, then pity help you.

The underlying import of the old saying 'manners maketh man' extends to the hope, however vain, that others have learnt or will learn, to respect themselves as you respect yourself.

Capetonian
5th Mar 2013, 11:46
There is nothing wrong with being a snob and admitting to it. There is a lot wrong with being a snob and denying it.

Fantome
7th Mar 2013, 20:49
If you are disposed to say that you possess characteristics that you manifestly do not have, then you may be either purblind, deluded , stupid or all three.

There are many who would deny ever feeling superior or inferior, happy in their neutral. non-judgemental, uncritical way of being. On the other hand, if you are required to say whether something or someone is good or bad, then it is almost impossible to do this and somehow be in all truth, non-judgemental.

It is good to remain steadfast in your convictions, but retain a degree of flexibility. A declining of the verb 'firm' -

I am firm
You are stubborn
He is pig-headed

DaveReidUK
7th Mar 2013, 22:08
A declining of the verb 'firm'Nouns decline, verbs conjugate. :O