PDA

View Full Version : Radio Problems

Big Pistons Forever
28th Feb 2013, 23:46
I noticed in the "learn from my mistakes" thread a lot of radio issues.

One of the things that appears poorly known in GA is turning off the auto squelch feature if you think the radio is not working. If set correctly as soon as you cancel the squelch you should hear the background static at normal radio volume. If the radio is silent the first thing to check is the volume. If you have inadvertently turned down the volume you can reset the volume based on the static level without having to wait for a transmission from anyone else.

I think a systematic radio trouble shooting SOP is also seldom taught.

Mine is as follows:

If you think the radio is not working

1) Check Volume using squelch ( the most common radio problem IMO is inadvertently turning down the volume)

2) Check audio panel for correct selection

3) Verify correct frequency

4) If the radio has a digital display see if the "transmitting" icon goes on when you push the PTT

5) Check headset plugs

6) switch to second radio

7) switch to hand microphone

If none of the above work select the transponder to 7600 and follow Comm Fail procedures.

Note: The reason the radio is not working could very well be that the electrical system has failed, so be alert for this possibility.

tecman
1st Mar 2013, 09:36
I'd second all of those suggestions but I find it strange that anyone would complete the 'start' checklist without verifying the radio and audio system following engine start-up. When doing the 'radio(s) on, frequency correct' part of my well-ingrained mental list, I always open the radio squelch by using the 'test' function (in the newer radios) or by backing off the manual squelch control in the old ones. So, don't wait until you suspect something - do it every time. Obviously, repeating the check if you suspect an in-flight problem is good, too. It won't eliminate all your potential radio issues but at least it clears a lot of the silly issues we can get into with volume settings, audio panel receive switches etc.

One other suggestion I'd make is to know how to configure and use your comms in the most minimal way. In many older Cessna installations for example, using the console mounted mic and overhead speaker bypasses some of the gear that people will have added over time. It's not elegant, but just might save your nerves.

Captain Smithy
1st Mar 2013, 09:37
A common problem "finger trouble". I get a lot of radios chucked at me that are supposedly "knackered" and all that's happened is that the users aren't aware that the squelch is turned up too high. Happens a lot with ICOMs etc.

Good tips you post BPF, most folks don't seem to be taught this stuff.

Smithy