PDA

View Full Version : Multi Engine Instructor course

Duchess_Driver
28th Feb 2013, 12:03
Looking for suggestions and RECENT reviews for somewhere UK ish to add ME instructor to EASA FI ticket.

Preferably BE76, but definitely not DA42.

Know about ontrack....

Thanks in advance.

DD

nick14
28th Feb 2013, 13:41
I would always recomend Craig and his team at Central Flight Training at Tatenhill. Very experienced, great people and access to lots of aircraft.

FlyingOfficerKite
4th Mar 2013, 12:56
I'll second that.

Although Craig has access to a DA42, I think he also uses a BE76 for his courses as well?

KR

FOK :)

Happy Wanderer
4th Mar 2013, 23:44
Purely as a matter of interest, can I ask why not a DA42 for the ME FI course? A cursory glance at some of the FI positions recently advertised on the Flightglobal and aviationjobsearch websites in fact confirm that Diamond experience is very much in demand now. The ME FI course should address the main differences between conventional and single-lever operations, whilst obviously being geared to the type used on the course (CAP601 refers).

HW

Whopity
5th Mar 2013, 07:12
The ME FI course should address the main differences between conventional and single-lever operations, Not if they don't use a single lever aeroplane. It is much easier to convert multi-lever to single lever than the reverse not unlike manual and automatic cars.

Happy Wanderer
5th Mar 2013, 11:28
Not if they don't use a single lever aeroplane. It is much easier to convert multi-lever to single lever than the reverse not unlike manual and automatic cars.

Whopity,

I only say this as someone who is currently part way through an ME FI course on the DA42 and who certainly has covered the principal differences between conventional and single-lever operations during the theoretical briefings (if only finances would allow these differences to be explored during the more practical elements of the course :\)

CAP601 (as I'm sure you're aware) does state that:

"The MEP syllabus is based upon the theory of conventional aeroplane operation and should not be over simplified because of the advance in technology. It is important that the MEP training course emphasises the theoretical differences between conventional and advanced systems".

I appreciate that the CAP defines the ME Class Rating syllabus rather than the ME FI course syllabus, but it should surely drive the latter in any event, although realistically I suspect that most ME FIs will always steer the course (including Integrated elements) towards the aircatft type being flown.

I entirely agree with you though that it is far simpler to convert from multi- to single-lever, rather than the other way. In a pre-FI life, I tried (and failed) to fly DHC-6 for a period having completed all my commercial training on single-lever/G1000 Diamonds - it is an extremely difficult transition as you quite rightly say.

HW

BillieBob
5th Mar 2013, 14:07
CAP601 (as I'm sure you're aware)That is quite the funniest thing I've seen this week! Guess who is the author of CAP601, HW.

Happy Wanderer
5th Mar 2013, 15:51
I had absolutely no idea (ie before posting), but now i guess you're going to tell me it's either your goodself or Whopity....???

I've instructed for a few years now (actually since completing my own training) and don't come on here very often. Maybe I should!! Of course, it'd all be a lot easier if we didn't hide behind vague usernames (me included :O)

HW

Duchess_Driver
8th Mar 2013, 09:30
Two reasons...

Vague username

And

That's what we operate where I would be exercising the privileges gained. Pure expedience dictates...

DumpingTheRat
8th Mar 2013, 12:37
Yep go see CP at tatenhill , one of the best instructors in the business and no mistake , IMHO

Duchess_Driver
29th Mar 2013, 23:10
Just completed the above with CFT at Tatenhill.

All recommendations turned out to be 100%.

Did the teach with Alan and the testing with Craig. Certainly know their onions.

Top job fellas! :ok:

high wing harry
9th Apr 2013, 11:20
Hi Duchess Driver

Is there a possibility of you using your own school's aircraft on the course - shouldn't be an issue if the school involved has used BE76 aircraft before...

Try Wycombe (Booker Aviation these days)...

I know you know where they are...

Trim Stab
10th Apr 2013, 06:55
but definitely not DA42.

Good to see somebody excluding themselves from the DA42 employment market:ok:

I currently fly DA42 and get paid twice what I made flying business jets - and it is a hell of a lot more fun too!

nick14
10th Apr 2013, 07:28
Just out of interes how did you guys build the MEP PIC time?

Duchess_Driver
10th Apr 2013, 07:57
HWH

Did speak with a certain person who was going to get back to me....never did. No issues.

TS

Excluding myself from the DA42 market.... := As was discussed earlier, if I'm now teaching in a Duchess and gaining some experience in the MEI world, it would be just a simple trick to add DA42 to my ticket. Not so easy the other way around. Whilst a DA42 is a nice machine, it isn't the only light twin out there!

Nick

Paid for them over a few years.

nick14
10th Apr 2013, 10:13
I wish my wife would let me spend 350+ an hour for a twin......

S-Works
10th Apr 2013, 10:30
There are cheaper twins around for rental but its still an expensive game to get into.

You may find it worth finding someone to share the time with on some trips.

I enjoy teaching/Examing ME and the CRI ME took me on to teaching and testing for Type Ratings which made the journey worthwhile!!

nick14
10th Apr 2013, 10:41
I keep trying to sell it to her as a business proposition but its not working :(

Happy Wanderer
10th Apr 2013, 15:17
TS,

PM'd you.

HW