PDA

View Full Version : RAF Aircraft Shot Down Over East Germany 1953: RF531

Dontmentionpenalty
28th Feb 2013, 09:17
Hello everyone,

I'm a journalist from Germany looking for information about a Cold War incident over East Germany on March 12, 1953. Then a RAF Avro Lincoln (RF 531) was shot down by Soviet MiG fighters near Boizenburg, killing most of the British crew and triggering a severe diplomatic crisis between London and Moscow.

Is there anyone who can give further information about that incident?

Thanks beforehand!

Fournierf5
28th Feb 2013, 11:02
. . . As you say you are a journalist perhaps you should clarify what you are after. Do you mean you have read the - easily found - history of this particular flight (in Prune archives and elsewhere) and want more information on top of that or that you would like someone else to point out the original story for you?

Dontmentionpenalty
28th Feb 2013, 14:15
Both, maybe there are family members of one of the killed crew members, who can tell me how trhe incident occured from theri point of view. Especially, are there memorial stones in Britain? Are there How did that incident changed the victims' families' lives?

And on the other hand I'm interested in the 'British' version of that incident.

I read articles in forums like this and in German regional newspapers.

chevvron
28th Feb 2013, 15:06
Why not study the other thread on this subject entitled 'RAF aircraft shot down over East Germany 1953'. It was started in 2006 after all!

(MODs I feel a merge coming on)

Dontmentionpenalty
3rd Mar 2013, 11:23
I did, of course. My point is, to find somebody, who knows a relative of one of the crew-mebers of that fligt in 1953. Maybe there is obne, who reads this. Then, I would like to ask him some questions.

Heimdall
3rd Mar 2013, 20:24
Here's (http://www.spyflight.co.uk/linc.htm) an article I wrote about the Lincoln which covers the loss of RF 531.

Hope this helps.

Heimdall

Stitchbitch
6th Mar 2013, 16:48
A good friends uncle was one of the Air Gunners who lost their lives on RF531 that day.

Onceapilot
8th Mar 2013, 13:21
A sad tale. The last British 4 piston-engined bomber to be shot down over Germany I guess?

critter592
10th Mar 2013, 03:29
The National Archives at Kew may hold the files on this aircraft, depending on the "closure" period.

The RAF Museum may hold a microfilm copy of the Accident Card (AM Form 1180), which they will copy for you for a small fee.

Don

beano1945
15th Aug 2013, 16:15
Hi, I am a relative of Flt/Sgt Peter Dunnell, there is a memorial grave/stone at Colton Church, Norfolk.