PDA

View Full Version : Akrotiri Kebab Houses

OldAgeandTreachery
27th Feb 2013, 17:38
Having spent many a night on the strip devouring Kebabs and Kokkinelli I now find myself on the island in a civilian capacity wishing to introduce Mrs OAaT to the delights of these wonderful establishments. I was always detached,never posted, which is why she has not enjoyed the experience.
My problem is that I have been out of the picture for some time so wonder if anyone here can give us a pointer. Sylvanas, The Swan and Chris' spring to mind. Any idea of price? Paphos area mezes are eye wateringly expensive.

TwoTunnels
27th Feb 2013, 19:55
Polis was the kebab restaurant of choice a couple of years ago. Was on det there a lot in 2011 and Chris' had gone out of favour- expensive and quality of food had gone down. Haven't been to Sylvanna's for a long time, not that I've been there much anyway.
Yep, Polis definitely was good for a group kebab on det.

lj101
27th Feb 2013, 20:04
Ryan's does great food - JPA friendly too.

BEagle
27th Feb 2013, 22:23
Chris' had gone out of favour- expensive and quality of food had gone down.

Unless he was there in person to look after his RAF customers, it was quite common for Chris' food to be rather indifferent.

But expensive?? Surely not.

I used to prefer the Swan, now closed, for the authentic kebab experience. But Polis' was indeed the restaurant of choice.

Younger readers may wish to peruse this old PPRuNe thread: http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/77559-kokkinelli-kebab-darkens-stool.html

ExAscoteer
27th Feb 2013, 22:38
I'd agree with Beagle there.

Certainly in my time Ascoteering, Sylvanus and Polis were the choice if Chris wasn't about.

Having said that, after cracking a case of Keo with the crew outside Block 100, having a Tac 'Z', and then a couple of jugs of Brandy Sour in the mess prior to the sally, I'm not sure it makes a jot of difference which kebab house one visits!

More lookout
27th Feb 2013, 23:41
In the early nineties, Polis was the best for quality. Chris was best for dealing with a large crowd. A few years back my family and I popped into Chris's for a kebab; the best part was them remembering our names after 10 years. Is there still a pizza restaurant just before Polis, that was very nice. The best place for a meze was arivano??? Gardens in Limassol.

Marly Lite
28th Feb 2013, 00:57
Those in the know went to Michael's in Erimi, a short 5 min taxi hop from the Strip, so good, many of the local villagers went.

Many happy memories...

gayford
28th Feb 2013, 02:02
The Italian Restaurant is called Il Gusto and is well worth a visit. Their Creme Brule is to die for !!

just another jocky
28th Feb 2013, 05:11
Their Creme Brule is to die for !!

Weren't they that famous 70's pop band? :}

OldAgeandTreachery
28th Feb 2013, 05:52
Thanks to all. The memory fug is clearing and I can remember Polis as a nice place to eat. I'm planning a visit tonight. Thing is: I don't think I've ever eaten one fully sober. I'm driving from Paphos so no option, could be interesting.
Hoping for a quiet meal, wouldn't want those drunken RAF types on a night out!
Singing,insulting staff,setting fire to their faces and arguing over a couple of euros. Tsk Tsk.

Clicked on the link to the older thread and yes, Beagle has it spot on with his description.

salad-dodger
28th Feb 2013, 08:00
Some of you seem to be forgetting the excellent food served at the exclusive Shalimar restaurant :uhoh:

Seriously though, I always found that the best kebabs were to be had at The Swan. Good food, good service and plenty of Kokkinelli. Had my first one there for the grand price C£2.50 in 1987. The usual special group deal negotiated for a 'first night kebab' including as much Kokkers as we could drink.

If you wanted something a bit more 'upmarket' (it's all relative), then you went to Sylvanna's or Polis. Chris kebab okay if you had a large group. He had a bus, would sit your party outside and tolerate the carnage that often ensued.

S-D

Motleycallsign
28th Feb 2013, 08:41
Polis was always my preferred taverna, excellent traditional kebab, help yourself salad bar (no having to keep asking for more) Kokkinelli, and in the winter a good old log fire to stay warm by. Not to mention the super friendly service.

Peter Carter
28th Feb 2013, 08:55
Does a kebab, including unlimited Kokkinelli, cost more than ten bob now?
Outrageous.
Has anyone else had a demijohn cork ricochet round the cockpit at 40K?

27mm
28th Feb 2013, 08:59
How does anyone remember which kebab house they went to? :O

claron
28th Feb 2013, 09:07
Wasn't there one called the Birds nest? The memory is a little clouded as it has been 30 yrs since I last fell in the storm ditches crawling back from the Pen club.

5aday
28th Feb 2013, 09:20
In Lim from early 70s visiting Akrotiri on 203 sqn (to
collect what seemed like tons of butter from the NAAFI:
Halil's, The Britannia, and Niazzis ?
spelling may be wrong but the headaches were real. Once I woke up in another country (Oman).

Rocket2
28th Feb 2013, 09:27
The Eagles Nest at Eppi?:ok:

Ali Qadoo
28th Feb 2013, 09:43
The Avenida Famagusta was good for a couth night out. For a non-couth night out, nothing can touch Pambos Best Food, assuming it's still in business.

salad-dodger
28th Feb 2013, 09:45
Wasn't there one called the Birds nest?

The Birds Nest was a decent steak house below the Akrotiri Arms bar. The latter being the scene of many very raucous table football tournaments. Amazing what several weeks in the sun drives you too!

S-D

ricardian
28th Feb 2013, 11:46
No doubt Big Arif's and Little Arif's are long gone (last visited in 1967)

Duchess_Driver
28th Feb 2013, 11:57
5 min taxi hop

Taking your life insurance policy with you IIRC!

:ok:

Canadian Break
28th Feb 2013, 12:33
OAT; if you have got wheels then get yourself up to the Phini Tavern, which is, surprisingly enough, in Phini Village. Ring before you go to make sure he is open - he only opens from about March to September if I remember correctly. When I was at 280SU and living half way up (or down) the mountain we used to eat there a couple of times a week - never had a better steak anywhere in the world. The owner/chef is a chasp named August! Go up from Limassol towards Platres but after going through Trimiklini turn left and go through Kato Platres and on to Phini. Enjoy chap. CB
PS: think this is the phone number but check it. 25421828:ok:

Flatiron
28th Feb 2013, 13:36
I don't suppose the Green Grot is still functioning down in Heroes Square, Limassol. That was the place for visiting V-force mates whereas the relatively elderly Britannia crowd inhabited a joint on the ringroad. The Green Grot had a bevy of Egyptian ladies as 'entertainment' and I recall a loud cry of "£10, that's outrageous" from OC Ops on the dance floor. That said, it was a very honest place. A Victor captain lost his aircrew watch in the taxi back to Akrotiti and the cab driver brought it back to him the following morning. Happy days!

Genstabler
28th Feb 2013, 14:38
Il Gusto is fabulous if you want to flog all the way over from Paphos to Akrotiri for old times sake. Personally I would stop half way at Pissouri Beach where there are many excellent tavernas and lovely surroundings too.

Dominator2
28th Feb 2013, 15:10
Is the Bunch of Grapes at Pissouri still open. We first went when they opened in 1978 and it was a great day out. In those days there was nothing at Pissouri Beach so you could have a few hours on the beach and then the Bunch of Grapes until bed time! I do recall that they had a mad chef for a while in the earley 80s who now and then intimidated the guests with a meat cleaver.
Any updates from any one?

Courtney Mil
28th Feb 2013, 16:00
It was still there a few weeks ago...

Bunch of Grapes Restaurant Reviews, Pissouri, Cyprus - TripAdvisor (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g616081-d1119566-Reviews-Bunch_of_Grapes-Pissouri_Limassol_Limassol_District.html)

Genstabler
28th Feb 2013, 16:46
The Bunch of Grapes has declined somewhat in the last few years. I reckon the best restaurant experience in Pissouri is Perry's Restaurant, down near the beach. Look it up in Trip Advisor.

Marly Lite
28th Feb 2013, 22:09
Duchess,

Absolutely, be prepared to intervene on the wheel after midnight! Saved my bacon once. Taxi driver had probably done a 20 hr shift!

juliet
28th Feb 2013, 23:05
Dont know how any of you can remember all of this detail, surely you weren't going for a kebab sober??!!??

My favourite one was a walk from the guardhouse (having been dropped off by MT) through some little streets. Felt like it was in the middle of all the local houses. Pretty sure we went to the left, ie away from the water. There was definitely a self serve salad bar. Was that Polis?

Never went there sober, and after plastic water bottles of Kokkinelli, and then that liquor they kept in the freezer at the back (Sylvana?) I was always very reliant on the GE to carry my young co pilot self home. Invariably they did!!

Juliet

gayford
1st Mar 2013, 05:21
Pissouri Beach is a beautiful spot, the ONLY place to eat is "Limanaki". IMHO it is way ahead of the competition but you may need to book. The Bunch of Grapes is not what it was in the good old days.

gayford
1st Mar 2013, 05:35
Thread creep I know, but if you want the best authentic meze in the Limassol area go to Forsos Tavern at Moutagakia village. The service is pretty rushed when they are really busy but the meat is the best.

kweelo
1st Mar 2013, 17:46
Can definitely endorse Canadian Break's recommendation - my ex worked at the 'Phini Tav' for 2 years (90-92) Augustus was legendary and I enjoyed many a night of his hospitality and witnessed him and his Mother having many a spat! Which was always great entertainment.

Loved the 'Bunch of the Grapes' way back when and was always fun trying to find your way into the village by following the grapes on the water storage tanks on the roofs.

As for the Akrotiri strip, we were always warned off as there were various rumours of the meat being collected 'fresh' that day! However, during Ellamy couple of years ago we went to Chris's kebab and have to admit after 3-4 courses I gave up - never eat the bread and fill-up on salad, it spoils things later on!!!

My favourite, I'm sorry I can't remember it's name was a fantastic Kebab House on the way to Yermasoyia Dam. As you went into the village, there was a fork - left, kebab house, right, up to towards the dam - Brit style pub, watch footie, drink beer and then back down to said kebab house!!!

Cyprus - happy memories, great people - need a separate thread for 'Happy Valley.' Anyone there for the 84 Sqn Caps demo 90-91, when they decided to set fire to the bondu when they set the flare off!!

smujsmith
1st Mar 2013, 19:20
Did a tour at Akrotiri 73 - 75, and we always eat at Halils in St Andrews Street. Not far away was Paul's Wines. He was a Swiss Expat, had wine from all over the island and sold them by the Demi John, after a suitable, generous sampling. Rumour had it that there was a brothel above his wine place, although I would never know :\

Canadian Break
1st Mar 2013, 21:27
Halil now has (and has had for a long time) a restaurant north side in Kyrenia harbour right on the waterfront.

smujsmith
1st Mar 2013, 21:50
CB,

Thanks for that. I was on holiday in Kyrenia when the Coup happened. Remember the harbour and its bars well. Of course it makes sense that Halils went "oop north" after the invasion because St Andrews street was the heart of Turkish Limmasol. And also Kebab is a Turkish meal !!!!

ExAdvert
2nd Mar 2013, 07:28
Went to the Bunch of Grapes 4 years ago as a Worthless Civilian on holiday with my other half.....

We were the last people dining al fresco in the courtyard that night when a couple of local cats started getting it on rather vocally on top of the 10ft wall in front of us. When the owner/ manager came outside to see what all the racket was, I pointed to the cats & made the "International gesture for shooting copulating felines".

He went inside & moments later reappeared with an air rifle, proceeded to shoot one of the cats "in flagrante", smile, bow & disappear again.

I felt guilty. For a minute or two.....

BEagle
2nd Mar 2013, 07:42
He went inside & moments later reappeared with an air rifle, proceeded to shoot one of the cats "in flagrante", smile, bow & disappear again.

No doubt the menu had an interesting new item the following day?

Poor moggie - but at least it went to its maker with a smile on its little face!

5aday
2nd Mar 2013, 07:49
Can any one remember an ex Chief Tech/Flight Sergeant who opened an eatery
In kyrenia. I have a name going around in my head and I think it was called Chesters or something similar. This was pre invasion and my last trip to Kyrenia
was 1968 on a Hastings out of Lyndholme.
Dave M

Motleycallsign
2nd Mar 2013, 18:31
Juliet, sounds like you're describing the Polis to me, always went there sober but often not so on coming out, taking 'back-route' (through gardens) to the Akki Arms, then sober again arriving at the block after walking back.

Canadian Break
2nd Mar 2013, 19:15
Smujsmith
We used to go to Halil's a couple of times a month. We would take apples from the orchard of the house I was living in (for some reason they couldn't grow them northside) and Halil provided lunch for me, Mrs CB and the two young CB ettes - always refusing payment - it was quite embarrasing really. On one occasion he joined us and was obviously feeling "mellow"; he recounted how he had a very softspot for the RAF - apparently after the "nastiness" with Turkey he was imprisoned in Limassol, subsequently "sprung" by people/peoples unknown and flown north in an RAF heliocopitre. Sounds all a bit far-fetched to me but I suppose stranger things have happened. Perhaps some Pruners have more knowledge of this incident?CV:ok:

smujsmith
2nd Mar 2013, 19:24
It was a cracking place in the early 70s. £C1 for a full Kebab and all the Kokinelli you could drink. With Akrotiri "humming" 2 Bomber Squadrons, 9 and 35, 56 Lightnings and 70 Argosy and C130 mix and 84 Whirlwinds in residence. Most eateries and drinking establishments were kept very busy. Great memories of my tour there and nice to know that Halils got out OK. Black Mack Makarious was winched out of the cr@p by 84 Squadron and brought to Akrotiri from where he was flown to UK I believe. So maybe that's where the story came from.

Smudge

Canadian Break
2nd Mar 2013, 20:52
Smudge - Halil told me that it was 84Sqn who flew him north one dark night - who knows? Maybe worth a punt as a new thread - "Who flew the restauranteur" north over the hills?
CB:ok:

juliet
2nd Mar 2013, 21:34
Cheers Motley.

Im sure I have great memories of Akrotiri, its just that I can't remember most of them!

J

OmegaV6
2nd Mar 2013, 22:40
Smudge .. you forgot to mention ...1971 .... Akrotiri Village and Heroes Square .. both "out of bounds" .. as were several other places on a weekly changing basis ... arriving crews had to have a Police Brief in the Movements Bar on arrival ... as a very new Sgt Engineer my skipper was adamant I wrote down all the places mentioned and to ensure i took the list out that night .... As a naive youngster (the first time) I was somewhat surprised that the list was given to the taxi driver with the instruction "take us to the best of these" ..... :) :)

It was somewhat surprising that the kebab house "entertainment" was watching the waiters dodge the traffic as they carried your food across the road in Limassol ... side bets on casualties being par for the course ... :)

smujsmith
2nd Mar 2013, 23:00
Now, there's another reminiscence. Anyone remember the antidote to a night out on Keo ? Pops soup kitchen, in the square, used to do a very "tasty" goulash for pennies, a great big chunk of bread to mop up the juices. Sober as a judge !!!

I wonder if this would account for the cat shot in an earlier post. Like our modern Beefburgers etc I doubt the goulash was Top Quality. :yuk:

Tankertrashnav
3rd Mar 2013, 16:17
Of course it makes sense that Halils went "oop north" after the invasion because St Andrews street was the heart of Turkish Limmasol. And also Kebab is a Turkish meal !!!!

Quite correct smuj and Niazi presumably went up there too (although a post-war rumour had it that he'd ended up in one of his own kebabs!) Limassol didnt seem the same after 1974, I'm sure I wouldnt recognise it now - nor would I expect the prices to be the same :(

Onceapilot
3rd Mar 2013, 18:42
Original thread: Polis is always good, Chris's for Big groups (no free taxi these days).
Where do they get the Bronto Pork Chops (upto 12")?
What a great place!

OAP

Canadian Break
3rd Mar 2013, 18:52
Don't know where they get them but we used to get ours from woolworths in Limassol! Honest guvnor'!

pedroalpha
3rd Mar 2013, 18:55
5aday,

i was at Akrotiri from 68-70. In those days, a kebab or mezze cost 550 mils or 11/- (55p in new money) Halil's and Niazzis were my favourites and I have many good memories. It was a mark of pride to be able to keep the kokkineli down until you reached the picket post before losing it out of the taxi window. On another occasion, a bunch of us residents decided to go to Halil's on our motor bikes. We had a good night but I fell asleep rounding a corner on my way home and woke up sliding along the road. My friend behind me paused at the scene, remarked that the roads were icy and roared off. I remounted and unknowingly passed another member of our group lying in a storm drain, badly injured.

The place you refer to in Kyrenia might have been Freddy Kerr's. Wonderful seafood menu and tables outside overlooking the harbour. Great days!

Cabe LeCutter
4th Mar 2013, 01:03
Niazi moved north the night before the invasion and set up a hotel, Denizkizi, 5 miles west of Kyrenia, stayed there many times when with the UN and wondered when he would get the bullet holes fixed. Halil was in Kyrenia harbour when last seen about 7 years ago, older and rounder.:D

The Kebab Houses seemd to change in popularity, Chris' was never the same when young Chris took over and Polis and Sylvanas seemed to rule. I was never sure where the pork chops came from, never saw a pig as big as an elephant but the chops always were. Michaels in Irimi, was the place to be if he played his bouzouki, real local colour. Have not been back for 5 years but was stunned by the cost of a Kebab, bl88dy EU.

Mickeys at Avdimou was as long as my piece of elastic would stretch when on call and it was great, off the beaten track and not too many tourists.

I wonder how many people went to Nick the Fish though, the only fisherman living on a mountain at Pakna, that was real colour.;);)

I am drooling so I had better stop:hmm::hmm:

Heads Down, look out for the flack

Tankertrashnav
4th Mar 2013, 08:52
With Akrotiri "humming" 2 Bomber Squadrons, 9 and 35,...

That would be the Vulcan static display, as we visiting tankertrash called them ;) Rumour had it that they occasionally flew, but the tumbleweed up against the wheels told a different story!

smujsmith
4th Mar 2013, 11:00
I'm sure I saw a couple fly during my time there, must have been anti det movements ! It was hard to notice much else than the magnificent F6s of 56.:ok:

OKOC
4th Mar 2013, 11:38
With so many reminising about Keo and Kebabs-why don't we all go back for a long weekend? (On the lash as they say today).

We could have Truckie w/e, fastjet w/e, etc

Anyone interested? Can anyone remember the name of the hotel up in the bundu about 20 mins away from LCRA--we would be accommodated there when 101 etc was unavailable. A fitting hotel for a possible reunion methinks?

KPax
4th Mar 2013, 11:49
FJ w/e, from my time there in the 90's 9 would plan, 8 would walk, 7 would taxi 5 airborne with usually a pair or a 3 ship making it to Ak, ah the F3 happy times.

OKOC
4th Mar 2013, 11:56
Just remembered it's the Episkopiana. Eur 63 per night for a single B & B (Eur 84 for a twin) but I am sure we can get a discount on that.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Mar 2013, 12:07
ah the F3 happy times. 1988 - 9 planned, 9 arrived
1990 - 9 planned, 9 arrived

The fact that a Taceval awaited anyone who didn't escape the UK may have had something to do with it!

F3WMB - Esteemed winner of the Plates Balanced on Head trophy bottle of Keo brandy - now which restaurant was that? I was very, very drunk at the time

BEagle
4th Mar 2013, 12:19
Indeed it was the Epilpetikopiana! Splendid place but rather isolated. Those prices seem rather high though! See Episkopiana Hotel (http://www.cyprus-hotels.com/episkopiana_hotel.htm) for more info., although their prices are 5 years out of date. But we are talking about Cyprus....

Until miserable, micro-managing fun detectors stuck their unwelcome snouts in, we had an excellent AAR trail training scheme running with the F3 mates. We would trail them as 2 pairs with 2 x VC10K 30 min apart from the the UK. Overhead Sicily, one VC10K would release his pair of F3s and go into Palermo, the other would carry on to Akrotiri. The F3 mates would have a nice weekend in the sun, then they would be trailed back as a 4-ship, with the Akrotiri VC10K handing over to the Palermo VC10K to bring the jets back to the UK. The Akrotiri VC10K would then QTR for a 'lunch-ching' (or nightstop if we could get away with it) at Palermo, before transiting back to Blighty. That gave us a wide variety of training opportunities (for the groundcrew guys as well - we often took a trainee GE along with the team) and was enjoyed by all and sundry. It didn't cost Brenda much in the way of blatts either. We also took ATSy Pol to Palermo with us now and then and they really appreciated being down route with tanker crews for a change. Those trips really added a lot of intangible benefits to life at the time..... But then the miserable, chiselling wannabe Air Wheels screwed it all up, the barstewards!

Lukeafb1
4th Mar 2013, 12:50
You youngsters of today!

Back in the days of Strike Wing (6, 73 and 249), in the 60s, Little Arif’s, Big Arif’s and The Britannia, in Limassol were de rigeur for a Kebab night out. Kokkineli still flowed like a toilet flush (and tasted the same), but the food was classic cuisine from a bygone era. None of this poofy Akrotiri stuff!! :E:E

OKOC
4th Mar 2013, 12:52
I just phoned the Episkopiana and if we booked 10 singles it would be Eur 45per person B & B or Eur 60 for a twin. That was for 3rd to 5th May inc. The hotel is open despite its website being 5 years out of date-reminds me of Cyprus!

A2QFI
4th Mar 2013, 14:43
What about Niazzi's place. Cooking one side of the road and tables and chairs on the forecourt of a petrol station on the other side ISTR (61- 64)

5aday
4th Mar 2013, 14:44
Pedroalpha,
Much obliged -it was Freddy Kerrs that i was thinking about (was it on the harbour front in Kyrenia?)
All so long ago.
I must go back one final time and see if it was all a dream or was it really real?
Best,
Dave M

Bob Wyer
4th Mar 2013, 15:28
Lukeafb1, Don't forget our old mates on 32 Sqn!!

Lukeafb1
5th Mar 2013, 07:07
OOps!..... Sorry Bob,

Completely slipped my mind.

Lukeafb1
5th Mar 2013, 07:09
And what is this pork chop nonsense? You'll be telling us next that you now have linen table cloths.

Rossian
5th Mar 2013, 14:45
......where did you take SWMBO to, finally? Did you sample the Tetrapak version of the purple liquid known, non too fondly, as "Kokinaboks"?
I do feel you owe it to us.

The Ancient Mariner

OldAgeandTreachery
5th Mar 2013, 15:20
After all that effort from various posters to point me/us in the right direction I'm afraid to say that the hoped for outing didn't materialise. We have been suffering from a dreaded lurgie which has left us both wishing that we didn't have to eat anything at all. No ones fault, just one of those things. Fruit we think.

Many thanks to all who posted:As usual, instructive,full of wit(WIT) and repartee.

jete
21st Mar 2013, 15:01
Niazi ended up in Kyrenia,his resturant is on the road from the harbour (opposite the Dome Hotel). It is run by his son and they still use the plates they had in Limissol. Late 60's early 70's were very "heady" and hazy days.

mr snow
2nd Apr 2013, 20:18
During my APC days with 29 Sqn in the late 70's, Mahmouts was always the fav detachment kebab house. The whole det would be booked in for an evening of total carnage and guaranteed next day hangovers. Free Kokkers and a good standard of kebab plus the staff were very forgiving of the 'high spirits' that were always displayed by all. Good times!

Tinribs
3rd Apr 2013, 15:04
I sampled Niazi's for old times sake, took the child bride along. She enjoyed the meal and now doesn't think any of the stories about the place can be true. Seems the new place is too posh to live up to the legends

SOSL
3rd Apr 2013, 15:29
In the early eighties there was a stall at the top right hand corner of Dodge City, in Episkopi Garrison, which did pittas stuffed with souvla and salad - delish.

Also the Epi Village Inn and the White Knight were great restaurants in Episkopi village.

We also had good times at the Randevous, Pepis and the Three (or two) Brothers.

Rgds SOS

Ancient Squipper
4th Apr 2013, 15:11
Oh how times change Niazis today. www.niazis.com (http://www.niazis.com)

If you ever go back.

Top tip-1 Try Niazis fish caserole it really is special.
Top -tip-2 Never ask for Turkish delight in the south it's now Cypriot delight.

It was always the Old Romantic on St Andrews Street for me. Always finished with Turkish delight and a large brandy (At least 6 months old) included in the price. Always lamb chops with the Turkish I think that they came from a special breed of minature sheep or could have been cloned with Beagle's racing chicken!!

Nobody mentioned the Limassol Wine Festivals yet - 1/- (5p)for a plastic flagon, fill it up as many times as you could cope with- another brain cell and memory killing experiance.

Mystery? If IX and 27 hardly ever flew where did all those so**ing brake chutes that I serviced and packed for 3 years come from?:ugh:

Q-RTF-X
4th Apr 2013, 16:45
It was always the Old Romantic on St Andrews Street for me.

Agreed, a good place - was worth popping in at lunch time also - some interesting meals of the day type options occasionally !

Al R
29th Apr 2013, 19:59
Equipped,

I still have my 1984 vintage empty bottle somewhere. That was my first night on the island; we landed at 1300 and had been well and truly introduced to Keo and Kokkers in the Block by 1600. By 2000 I was wandering around a weird municipal park drinking weird wine. By 0630 the next day, I was on a sqn run revisiting the experience up and down Cardiac Hill.

pmills575
30th Apr 2013, 06:01
The Old Romantic was just a special place, they were very proud of the fact that they had not been closed for over 100 years! It was very close to the border between the Greek and Turkish communities and was actually on Ankara street, same street just changed name as it moved across the divide.

Wife asked one of the staff how to make Turkish coffee and he promptly whipped her into the kitchen to be shown. She was missing for almost an hour as they insisted she perfect the art to such a degree that the locals didn't notice the difference between her efforts and the chef's!

pm575

wub
30th May 2013, 11:01
Just back from a holiday in Cyprus and most disappointed with the quality of offerings at local tavernas. These days you are given sliced bread, which tastes more like Madeira cake, with your salad. I was tourex in 1977, probably at the height of the free salad and Kokinelli days, since tourists were thin on the ground then.

I did, however, spot this in Paphos...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/wub_01/Kebab2_zpscc0930b9.jpg

cargosales
30th May 2013, 22:20
Nobody mentioned the Limassol Wine Festivals yet - 1/- (5p)for a plastic flagon, fill it up as many times as you could cope with- another brain cell and memory killing experiance.

Ah yes, the Limassol Wine Festival .. and my introduction to an unusual type of kebab ...

After a short while experiencing the delights of the Wine Festival (still got the tiny glass with the logo on it somewhere) we were in need of sustenance so parked ourselves at one of the outlets there and ordered 4 kebabs which duly arrived.

Mid-munch, one of our number asked 'Lads, what do you reckon to this kebab then?' to which we all replied 'Mmm jolly nice .. very tasty .. etc'. Very quietly he then said 'That's good..' and then less quietly 'BECAUSE IT'S DONKEY' which was meant to be heard by George who came racing over..

'What's all this .. you accuse me of serving you donkey .. you impugne my reputation .. on the life of my mother I have never been so insulted .. etc etc etc'

To which our chap said ' Yep, it's definitely donkey. I grew up in India and have had it loads of times so I know what I'm talking about but yours is definitely very tasty and extremely well cooked so well done!' :ok:

George didn't really know which way to look and retreated back to his kitchen while we finished off the meal..

Don't think we got any free kokinelli though...

CS