PDA

View Full Version : BBC - Fighter Pilot series

FlyingOfficerKite
27th Feb 2013, 11:44
Just downloaded and watched the 1980's BBC Fighter Pilot series.

All very interesting in view of the fact that the hairstyles, kipper ties and training aircraft are all history.

More interesting is that Mike Jamieson and (I think) Martin Coales were two of the instructors - whom I flew with over thirty years later.

The Mike Jamieson 'bad instruction for the camera' saga has been dcoumented previously on PPRuNe, however I don't remember any mention of Martin.

If my memory is correct Martin was based at MAN on the DHC8 with Brymon?

Mike I understand is (was) based at LPL with easyJet?

KR

FOK :)

Will Hung
28th Feb 2013, 09:12
Don't recall that series, unless it was the Test Pilot one ?

Wander00
28th Feb 2013, 15:25
Isn't it the one in which a can of baked beans featured, and infuriated a CAS. ISTR it led to the "no first tourists living out" policy.

wiggy
28th Feb 2013, 15:41
Don't recall that series, unless it was the Test Pilot one

No, it was very definitely "Fighter Pilot", Followed a bunch of guys going through the RAF flight training system very late 70's - very early 80's. (79-81 ish??)

The Mike Jamieson 'bad instruction for the camera' saga has been dcoumented previously on PPRuNe

Isn't it the one in which a can of baked beans featured, and infuriated a CAS.

I was on a course along with one of Fighter Pilot's "stars" :bored: a few years after the progamme was aired - needless to say he had some very interesting stories about the way some of the filming was set up and how it was subsequently edited for viewing.......

gareth herts
6th Mar 2013, 14:37
Rather coincidentally, I have literally just written this re making contact with Martin Oxborrow, one of the 'stars' of Fighter Pilot.

Might be of interest to some of you:

A ‘Fighter Pilot’ contact from the past, looking firmly to the future | Gareth Stringer (http://garethstringer.biz/martin-oxborrow-bbc-fighter-pilot-contact/)

b15oxo
6th Mar 2013, 15:21
Reference all above, I'm in touch with mike J and martin W and G Stringer see previous. I've never been based in Man on DHC anythings(!) I did 3000hrs total on JP3A/5A,C130H & K Mk 1&3, HS125 600/700 + a couple of sorties Hunter T7 and about 15hrs on Hawk at Farnboro'.

My book will tell all, it's about time (33years in fact) that a few wrongs were 'righted' and they will be. Nothing personal or salacious mind you just the big Picture about all the editing tweaks and 'set ups'. Any body with stories or who wants to air their grievances I'm on twitter @b15oxo, and facebook, or reply here and I'll get back to you - eventually. At the moment I feel like I'm sitting underneath Niagara Falls. Tweets, msgs, e-mails, phone calls - I'm flippin mentally exhausted all ready. Must remember to Schedule a weekend off for Rugby & Guinness!
Regards,to all, Martin Oxborrow
ps Not doing this for money! but RAFBF, Combat Stress, and Cancer research.

Smudger
20th Mar 2013, 14:56
Martin... Spence Smith here.. you may not remember me but it's good to see you're still around and about ! Best wishes mate