PDA

View Full Version : Paramotor?

Flyaways
25th Feb 2013, 21:12
Does anyone go paramotoring on here? I've heard it's very cheap to do and you don't need much training.

I'm wondering if you can do a lot of paramotoring when in the UK (as the wind/ weather!)?

thing
25th Feb 2013, 22:27
I don't personally but I know they do at Boston if you're interested. Depends where in the East Midlands you are.

chevvron
26th Feb 2013, 01:21
I'm told FLPMs are bit of a handful in anything more than 5 kt winds, especially if the wind is not constant from one direction, as this affects the 'inflation' of the canopy.
I've watched a crew trying to launch a powered parachute with a trike unit in about 10 - 12kts and even with ground helpers, it kept falling over.
Of course there are restrictions too eg no flying in IMC or at night or in controlled airspace, and you're still subject to Rule 5 including the 500ft part.

ChrisA87
26th Feb 2013, 08:10
I used to fly paragliders before moving to fixed wing gliders and have a few friends who fly paramotors. They all recommend learning to paraglide first before adding an engine.

It's definately one of the cheaper ways to get airbourne but the weather window is very small and you can't go very far. Good for a bit of fun though!

The landing gear isn't very durable.

B Fraser
26th Feb 2013, 09:18
Agreed, paragliders are fickle beasts at times. Learn to fly one properly and get 200 hrs under your belt before adding a motor. If it all goes horribly wrong, you don't want to start learning how to deal with it on the way down with an engine on your back. Practice until forward launches, reverse launches, cross brake launches, in-flight collapses, cravattes, full and asymetric leading edge tucks and stalls become second nature. Get yourself a copy of the "Safety In Flight" video by Jocky Sanderson and watch it all the way through before you spend a pound on anything else.

Once you have done all that, you'll have a great time :ok:

davidatter708
26th Feb 2013, 13:36
They fly them out a strip near market harborugh. http://82.9.40.93:81/marstonairfield/index.html

Dawdler
26th Feb 2013, 15:18
Come a nice calm day, we often see them skirting the town (Rugby) I have guessed they are either from Husbands Bosworth or Wellesbourne. But I suppose they don't acually require an airfield to operate from, just a field :O

There are some Microlights operating from Long Marston. That might be a good place to start.

Flyaways
26th Feb 2013, 17:14
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'm surprised that some of you have said it's tricky! It looks so easy in the videos on youtube :O

Does anyone know how much it costs for lessons & equipment?

B Fraser
26th Feb 2013, 18:39
Set aside about 4 grand if you want new kit and a decent course. Schools often sell 2nd hand gear. A new reserve chute was about 400 quid 10 years ago. Never buy on E-Bay until you know exactly what you are doing as an ab-initio pilot and a DHV-3 wing do not mix well.

If you buy a wing intending to learn on it and then fly with a motor then remember to add the weight of the motor while selecting the size. You will be "light" on the wing while training but that's not an insurmountable problem, you will just have to learn to ground handle it. A decent instructor will look after you. There are also plenty of forums to be found where people will recommend where to go.

Enjoy !