PDA

View Full Version : IR Renewal Question

GazelleFan
25th Feb 2013, 10:14
I'm one those who did the old military bridging package a while ago and now have 3 years to get my IR. I'm not due to leave the military for at least 5 years though so I'm considering stumping up for the IR to get my ATPL(H) in the bag.

I've read the rules online and just want to ask about the reality of it from people who know a lot better than me. So if I get an IR, after a year I go 'uncurrent' and to renew it I have to do refresher training and a check ride with a CAA examiner. If I wait five or six years can I just do the refresher training and a check ride then crack on (as long as it is less than 7 years when I'd have to do the exams again?).

Is it going to look bad if I've left it for 5 or 6 years without revalidation when I try to renew it and apply for jobs (although I will have been flying in the military all that time)?

Just want to check there aren't any random gotchas before I shell out £25k!

handysnaks
25th Feb 2013, 10:31
As long as you do the renewal before you apply for the jobs then I can't see there being a problem. Of course, who knows what the market will be like in 5 or 6 years? One thing though! That 7 years creeps up really fast (I know from bitter experience)!:( :)

Sloppy Link
25th Feb 2013, 11:43
Mate, check pm