PDA

View Full Version : CAA Pt66 Mod 13

kenguan
24th Feb 2013, 23:01
I have heard that UK CAA Pt 66 Mod 13 is an extremely tough paper to pass, with some saying 6 sittings before passing is a norm!

Has anyone sat for it recently?

I currently hold B2 with limitations 2 to 6, so as per UK CAA I need partial Mod 13 to remove those limitations. The partial mod 13 is about 70% of the actual full Mod 13 & is 100 questions.
Has anyone sat for this partial Mod 13 to remove limitations from B2?
Is it as tough as the full Mod 13?

ericferret
25th Feb 2013, 09:57
I would recommend going to LRTT if you can, I did a partial mod 13 last year and I would say it was the toughest thing I have done since my initial licence in 1978!!!!!!!
However if you put in the work you should pass.

Doing it through LRTT narrrows the reading scope and is far easier than self study. Fail rate for full and partial mod 13's is low with them. In my view the standard taught is high but the issue is the narrow scope, however it meets the EASA syllabus so they are playing within the rules. The problem lies with EASA.

Be aware the Mod 13 is changing this year so do a little research in to what is happening and the time scales involved. It is getting bigger which is probably to deal with the issue I raise above.

Capot
25th Feb 2013, 11:48
And, by getting the learning from the same people who set your exam you do yourself a power of good.

Especially with LRTT.

Don't forget to do the exam there as well.

boeing_eng
25th Feb 2013, 16:58
Hi Ho, Hi Ho.....its off to the JAR 147 factory I go!:ugh::ugh:

ericferret
25th Feb 2013, 18:36
I couldn't agree more Boeing. Thats where we are today.
The modern training syllabus is set by EASA and the UK training schools work within the boundary. If the CAA attempt to adjust the standard up unilaterally they can then be accused of over regulation.

If you don't like it lobby the CAA. I have.
I have complained about the narrowness of the current training.
I have also complained about the quality of some of the training. The response was that it meets EASA requirements.

Kenguan asked a valid question and I think he got an honest response.
I am no happier with the response than you.

There have been problems for years going back pre-EASA with "factory produced" licensed engineers. This issue is not new.

Exup
26th Feb 2013, 09:34
Agree with the last 2 comments but we can't blame the guys coming thru they can only work to the regs that apply now, it's EASA that need to wake up & see what's going on but fat chance of that happening.

boeing_eng
26th Feb 2013, 13:22
ericferret....I agree with most of what you say.

Of course those who attend the JAR147 superstores are only taking advantage of the system as it exists today (and who can blame 'em?!)

What concerns me is that very few of those who I have encountered studying for modules today actually seriously try and learn the subjects! At work I have watched several guys using one of the popular on-line question banks to "revise"! They all seem fixated on learning the actual questions rather than doing a little more work and trying to understand the topic. When the failure letters arrive in the post (as they invariably do) the most common comment is along the lines of "I'd never seen that question/s before!" Usually, most end up flexing their credit cards and heading for one of the JAR147 courses as its now common knowledge that there is usually a limited amount of studying required!

Of course there is always going to compromises when it comes to studying for license exams but I always tried at least to get an understanding of the subject. It certainly helped when it came to answering some of the more cryptic questions and saved a few re-sits!

ericferret
26th Feb 2013, 15:18
Boeingeng

I find myself in agreement with you and hold up my hands to say that the scenario you describe is exactly the reason I went to a training school.

Some of the partial modules undertaken were actually meaningless.

A good description was that it is like doing a jigsaw without a box lid, no edges and some of the pieces missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just random pieces of information to be regurgitated for an exam.
A pointless exercise involving no understanding of the subject.
87% what a star!!!!!!