PDA

View Full Version : Depth of knowledge runways!

vctenderness
24th Feb 2013, 11:41
I have just heard a Labour MP with the wonderful name of Mary Honeyball ( I bet she isn't) comment of runway capacity at Heathrow.

Her contribution on the need for more capacity to India and China was that as London Heathrow is in the west of London and India is to the east we need to consider this very carefully!

This absolute lack of any intelligent debate by our representatives is the reason the UK will fall further and further behind the rest of Europe.

Maybe we should develop Newcastle airport as that is definitely in the east so must be closer to India!

2Planks
24th Feb 2013, 12:27
(Pedant hat on) Ay - but its further west than Heathrow

LN-KGL
24th Feb 2013, 12:33
More pedantic - 1°13'49" further to the west and for a flight to DEL from NCL compared with a flight from LHR gives 10 miles extra distance to fly.

vctenderness
24th Feb 2013, 12:41
2Planks (http://www.pprune.org/members/199623-2planks)

(Pedant hat on) Ay - but its further west than Heathrow

Not to Mary Honeyball it's not!

Fairdealfrank
24th Feb 2013, 19:00
Quote: "I have just heard a Labour MP with the wonderful name of Mary Honeyball ( I bet she isn't) comment of runway capacity at Heathrow.

Her contribution on the need for more capacity to India and China was that as London Heathrow is in the west of London and India is to the east we need to consider this very carefully!

This absolute lack of any intelligent debate by our representatives is the reason the UK will fall further and further behind the rest of Europe.

Maybe we should develop Newcastle airport as that is definitely in the east so must be closer to India! "

Get her into the Dept of Transport immediately! It's this kind of thinking that has been lacking all this time.

Didn't she used to be in the European Parliament? Says it all!

Quote: "(Pedant hat on) Ay - but its further west than Heathrow"

As are all the large UK airports except LGW and STN.

Quote: "More pedantic - 1°13'49" further to the west and for a flight to DEL from NCL compared with a flight from LHR gives 10 miles extra distance to fly."

Even more pedantic: and if going to Bombay, it's an extra 54 mi..

Barling Magna
24th Feb 2013, 20:52
Mary Honeyball is an MEP, not an MP. Although she doesn't know too much about how airports work, she did have a pop at Michael O'Leary in 2009 so she can't be all bad......

Fairdealfrank
24th Feb 2013, 23:16
Quote: "Mary Honeyball is an MEP, not an MP. Although she doesn't know too much about how airports work, she did have a pop at Michael O'Leary in 2009 so she can't be all bad......"

That's what I thought (see #5 above). Explains the thinking.