PDA

View Full Version : iPad or IPad mini for Ozrunways

michael36
24th Feb 2013, 09:41
Thinking about getting an iPad and the first app I think I will buy will be Ozrunways. From peoples experiences have they found the regular iPad too large for cockpit use? Or the iPad mini too small for maps etc. Any input would be much appreciated.

Also how accurate do people find the GPS to be, I plan on getting a cellular model

evilducky
24th Feb 2013, 10:01
I don't have much to say on the practical side of use, but the draft CAAP (and the presentations I've heard from reps) that CASA's put together states that EFB's will need to be at least A5 to get certified. IPad mini isn't quite big enough, so if you care about having a legal EFB (if and when CASA finally gives certification to Ozrwunays and/or Avplan), you're going to need a full Ipad.

Jabawocky
24th Feb 2013, 10:26
Evil Duck,

Read the regs....and only the regs. (if you can :uhoh:)

A CAAP is only an opinion and often at odds with the regs and their intent. In fact far too often. Even if 99% are good, 1% is too many.

The bigger unit is the better choice, but if it goes on the blink the mini ought to be just fine.

Heck how big is the screen on a GNS430 or KLN90B etc.

CASA once again, caught out with their head in the technology sand. :ugh:

evilducky
24th Feb 2013, 12:05
Sure the CAAP is advisory, but maybe it shows that perhaps CASA is trying to get their head out of the sand?

And the presentations I've sat through from CASA and Avplan have made it nice and clear that they'll be pushing certification only on the full Ipad. Is this set in stone...? Nope. Was enough for me to make my choice? Yep.

Clearedtoreenter
24th Feb 2013, 18:30
The mini is sure a lot better than some of the old Garmin 296/396/496 type stuff. I like the mini. It's plenty big enough to give the info needed and its easier to handle. I find no problem with the full size version in most Cessnas but can think of some more cramped cockpits where the mini would be far preferable.

Square Bear
24th Feb 2013, 18:59
Have both the full size and the mini and although I don't use Ozrunways, (use Jeppview) personally find the mini to be the better of the two in the cockpit.

Actually find the mini to be a much more user friendly size for all the uses I have for an iPad.

In regards to regulatory approval, Jeppesen state THEY do not anticipate any issues to operators gaining approval according to FAA AC 120-76B or EASA draft AMC 20-25. Jeppesen have successfully completed Rapid Decompression testing of a mini to 51 000 feet.

A search of the web would probably yield further information as to this aspect of the issue.

Hopefully, it will come down to personal preference rather than regulatory preference.

Jabawocky
24th Feb 2013, 21:13
Sure the CAAP is advisory, but maybe it shows that perhaps CASA is trying to get their head out of the sand?

And the presentations I've sat through from CASA and Avplan have made it nice and clear that they'll be pushing certification only on the full Ipad. Is this set in stone...? Nope. Was enough for me to make my choice? Yep.

Compared to the post above, you really do wonder why some folk in CASA keep heir jobs. They all look for reasons why shouldn't work, not how and when hey can. The glass is always half full, and one could make some further references too:ooh:.

I use the full size, TS great, I have two just in case, but a mini would work just as well.

I wonder how many if any of the boffins in Cantberra who decided the minimum size had to be the full iPad actually fly, and actually fly IFR and single pilot. And have seriously tried doing so with the mini?

I could get a surprise, but I bet it is ZERO.

Heck if I had to I could do an approach off the iPhone, would to want to, bu as a back up I could. The mini is way bigger.

Once again the time to get with he game, be up to date has been missed, head still in sand.

Capn Bloggs
24th Feb 2013, 21:35
Heck if I had to I could do an approach off the iPhone, would to want to, bu as a back up I could. The mini is way bigger.
Hey Jabba, how big is the keyboard on the mini again? :}

VH-XXX
24th Feb 2013, 21:40
The GNS430 and the G296/396 don't display the WAC though. The 430 etc is used in conjunction with the WAC / VNC / VTC. You need to compare apples with apples.

baswell
24th Feb 2013, 22:34
Remember the CAAP and much of the regulation is references is for AOC holders only.

Private operations need only follow CAR233(1)(h), which says nothing about screen sizes. All the screen size and backup related stuff is in commercial regs only.

I prefer the mini in the cockpit. And some form of backup is good, certainly plug-in power and even an iPhone will get you out of trouble.

(That said: for now OzRunways are not CAR233 approved so to be sure, bring official paper also.)

Old Akro
24th Feb 2013, 23:20
Avweb have a podcast on the mini and its aviation performance.

For my money, its not small enough to be more convenient to carry, so you might as well have the bigger picture.

Ovation
25th Feb 2013, 00:23
I gave my Ipad to Mrs Ovation after I bought a Mini Ipad. Much lighter, less cumbersome and the display is fine for both personal and cockpit applications.

Very happy with it. :ok:

NIK320
25th Feb 2013, 08:23
Mini with avplan...

I prefer the size everywhere, not just in the cockpit.
As for accuracy, I loaded an RNAV in Avplan on the mini and on a G430.
0.1nm between the two of them and I don't have an external bluetooth GPS, not that I would assume that level accuracy all the time. I have noticed that if I put my metal A5 clipboard I use for the flightplan on top of the ipad the signal drops to nothing. Once its removed it updates to a fairly accurate position within 15 seconds.

I have tried flying a few approaches using jeppview, under the VFR. Personally I don't like the mini for that purpose. The chart doesn't fit entirely on the screen at a reasonable zoom level. More importantly to me I prefer the paper charts arranged nicely so I can quickly flick between them, not stuff around trying to select the one I want.

One of my work peeps has a yoke mount for the mini, it does fit landscape between a typical cessna yoke without obstruction. I think that comes with the risk of CASA claiming you have negatively affected the balance of the control column.