PDA

View Full Version : Forres Gets its own Tornado....WHY?

bluetail
23rd Feb 2013, 15:17
Unveiled this week by the HIE and within the Forres Enterprise Park was a 1/10 scale bronze Tornado, the official reason being to commemorate the towns links with the RAF. A noble gesture I agree but at least if you are going to do something like this at least get it correct and display it properly

1st It should have been a Nimrod or something maritime, Forres has no links with a Tornado, that is Elgin,s and Lossiemouth,s honour
2nd The cost was £47,000 (yes thats correct) could well have been much better spent in the community
3rd At least make the thing accurately represent what its meant to represent

Look for yourself, but to me its looks like its got a GR4 tail and an F3 nose and a GR1 lower fuselage
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/bluetail228/FORRESTORNADO23-2-135_zps5b612d6a.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/bluetail228/FORRESTORNADO23-2-13_zpsb89a4965.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/bluetail228/FORRESTORNADO23-2-134_zpscfe5b9cf.jpg

Oh and finally, why hide it somewhere where its not going to be seen unless you know its there :confused:

Courtney Mil
23rd Feb 2013, 15:45
Rather nice. Yeah, nose a bit long, but still a great thing that the community wanted to do that. Of course, it should have been a Nimrod, or a Hunter, or a Shackleton, or a Harvard, or a Buccanneer. It's still good.

Perhaps more petrol stations could keep the tradition alive and adopt thier own gate guardians, if you see what I mean.

Onceapilot
23rd Feb 2013, 16:17
Strange use of the money. Wonder how long before someone nicks it?

OAP

Clockwork Mouse
23rd Feb 2013, 16:19
Quite agree. Disgraceful that any community should spend so much money to commemorate links with the RAF. The RAF should complain in the strongest possible terms.

bluetail
23rd Feb 2013, 16:25
It actually wasn't the Forres Community who spent the money...it was the HIE who didnt actually ask what Forres would like I gather.

This is what Forres Councilhave done in the past
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s174/bluetail228/19OTUMEMORIALFORRES7-11-10.jpg

NutLoose
23rd Feb 2013, 16:25
Bronze huh..... So soon to be seen in your friendly local pikie's scrap van..

Lima Juliet
23rd Feb 2013, 16:48
Why does it have a F3 radome??? :confused:

Rosevidney1
23rd Feb 2013, 16:55
I assume post 5 is meant to represent a Whitley. Never seem spinners like that in my long and dissolute life! :O

bluetail
23rd Feb 2013, 17:05
Its the 19 OTU memorial to the west of Forres, by the side of the A96 its just over the road from the old Balnageith Airfield

OutlawPete
23rd Feb 2013, 17:07
In the big scheme of things 50 grand is hardly a lot of dough to make much difference to anything these days. And so what if it doesn't quite look right, it shouldn't, its art! Can folk not just enjoy something for what it is?

P6 Driver
23rd Feb 2013, 19:31
Oh and finally, why hide it somewhere where its not going to be seen unless you know its there

Well you found it - and thanks to you, we all know it's there as well, so it's become less well "hidden"!
Nice one!

TomJoad
23rd Feb 2013, 22:42
Somebody was bothered enough to have the town's link with the RAF honored with the commission of a statute. All you can do is complain and and with typical spotter zeal point at faults in point of detail and say what and where it should have been instead. Glass defiantly half empty with you Blue Tail. If it offends your eye and sense of injustice so much then don't look at let alone photograph it. Bye the way, have you ever lived in Tumbridge Wells, I think I've read some of your letters to the local rag there.

Norma Stitz
24th Feb 2013, 01:38
I think Blue Tail has a point, and his comments on the model's inaccuracies are spot on - if you're going to do something, at least do it right.

At least it won't be nicked, cos there's no crime anywhere near ISK unless you care to inspect certain 'potting sheds' in Findhorn.

The pics were clearly taken by a Canon though - a Nikon would've presented things in a much better light;)

Surplus
24th Feb 2013, 04:10
At least it won't be nicked, cos there's no crime anywhere near ISK unless you care to inspect certain 'potting sheds' in Findhorn.I take it you were being sarcastic ;).

Burglar on the roof | Forres Gazette | News (http://www.forres-gazette.co.uk/News/Burglar-on-the-roof-01022013.htm)

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Stripping lead from a roof, a bronze Tonka isn't going to last long.

Dysonsphere
24th Feb 2013, 06:58
Bronze huh..... So soon to be seen in your friendly local pikie's scrap van..

Hmmm wheres my handy crane and cutting kit.
if its bronze someone is not thinking things through.

PeregrineW
24th Feb 2013, 16:46
Do my eyes deceive me, or does it have two BOZ pods fitted?

bluetail
24th Feb 2013, 17:46
"Well you found it - and thanks to you, we all know it's there as well, so it's become less well "hidden"!
Nice one!"

P6 I found it because it was on page 3 of the P&J..our regional rag...:=

newt
24th Feb 2013, 17:57
Must be a token gesture to the Free Scottish Air Force. Its about all they will be able to afford!!:D:D:D:D

OutlawPete
25th Feb 2013, 11:36
With oil investment at a new 30 year high and the promise of more to come(BBC News) a free Scotland should be able to afford a few more bronze aeroplanes. More than England anyway... :-p

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

Canadian WokkaDoctor
25th Feb 2013, 12:13
Given that some complaints here appear to be centred on the F3 radome - maybe a more apt material for the sculpture would have been cement, rather than Bronze, sponsored by Blue Circle perhaps?

CWD :E:E:E

Pontius Navigator
25th Feb 2013, 12:20
It's a good thing they didn't take the image from this site:

http://hitechautomotive.********.co.uk/2011/08/panavia-tornado-f3_06.html

Thelma Viaduct
25th Feb 2013, 12:44
Apart from having never heard of Forres??? Does anyone actually give a flying #### what they buy or display?

Just leave them to it, keeps someone happy.

MATELO
26th Feb 2013, 19:26
Apart from having never heard of ForresDepart KINLOSS on runway 25, turn left after 100m onto the B9011 and follow for 1 mile.

Gemini Twin
26th Feb 2013, 19:38
The term "Moaning Poms" come to mind right now. :ugh:

Captain Radar....
26th Feb 2013, 21:48
I think it looks better than a real one!
I don't think anyone should get their Jockey shorts in a twist about the choice of type though, or the niggly detail. Most of Joe Public would recognise a fast looking pointy jet as probably being something to do with the RAF. Most wouldn't recognise the difference between a Nimrod and an airliner flying out of Inverness so a Nimrod might not have got the message across.
At least there IS acknowledgement of the RAF's history in Moray. The way things are going it'll be all that's left up there (along with the odd forecourt guard and acres of redundant runway).
Got to be pessimistic about it's chances of survival though, in fact I wonder if it's still there! It'll be scrap as quickly as an MRA4 facing a JCB.

Wensleydale
27th Feb 2013, 08:08
Strange use of the money. Wonder how long before someone nicks it?

Where do you suppose it came from in the first place - if the Scottish Council were given a good deal in the first place then the aircraft type surely did not matter?

Wensleydale
27th Feb 2013, 08:16
The term "Moaning Poms" come to mind right now.

Kettle calling pot over....

I heard that after their poor showing at the London 2012, the Australian Olympic Team are having to change the colour of their national kit to "the Green and Silver".

OutlawPete
27th Feb 2013, 09:06
Captain Radar is bang on the money. There's nothing wrong with it.
GT I think you'll find the term is "winging poms" mate. Not wrong in this case.

diginagain
27th Feb 2013, 18:23
GT I think you'll find the term is "winging poms" mate. Not wrong in this case.

Or even "Whinging Poms". Dontcha just love racial stereotyping, Bruce?

OutlawPete
27th Feb 2013, 20:03
Diginnotagain,
Sorry mate, you had a long day?

I fail to see where you connect the term "whinging (thank you) poms" with the word racial since there are no ethic conotations that I'm aware of. Roughly translated I thought it meant "moaning Brit". Which, lets face it we do our fair share of...