PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding aircraft door opening

Bungfai
23rd Feb 2013, 07:50
May I ask ,about your airline, who open the aircraft door when completely parked,
cabin crew or staff outside the aircraft?
Thanks.

Tray Surfer
23rd Feb 2013, 08:10
At BA it is Cabin Crew.

I believe QF it is Ground Staff.

Don't know about any others.

Bungfai
23rd Feb 2013, 08:28
Thank you.
We open by cabin crew.
The point is we inadvertently deploy the slide 3-4 times a year and are trying to get the groud staff to open the door from outside instead of the cabin crew.
But the company want cabin crew to open from inside to save cost.
To open from outside they need to pay extra for the qualified personal.

Locker10a
23rd Feb 2013, 14:35
At Aer Lingus and Ryanair the cabin crew operate the doors after a crosscheck is completed .
Just a general aviation observation! I find most European airlines(if not all) have their cabin crew open and close the doors wheres American and Aussie airlines have the ground staff do it!
And to be honest i dont think the rate of inadvertently blow slides is higher among European airlines! A diligent cross-checking procedure should be sufficient in reducing blowing slides

BlueTui
23rd Feb 2013, 15:12
Thomson cabin crew can open aircraft doors effective from this winter, providing you've received the correct training on each aircraft- following either a conversion course or our triennial training.

Piltdown Man
23rd Feb 2013, 21:51
Apart from Boeing 737s, which other aircraft DON'T disarm armed slides when the doors are opened from the outside?

PM

givemewings
26th Feb 2013, 11:03
PM, can't think of any current, western types. 737 only because the girt bar is manually engaged by the crew.

Possibly some older Russian/Chinese makes may be the same, as far as I can remember every Boeing/Airbus except the 73 disarmed the doors from outside. I know definitely for 767, 330, 380, 777 they disarm when opened from the outside.

As an aside, I have worked at one airline where ground crew open, and many where cc open. At the airline where the ground crew now open doors, we were told since they implemented this change, the only blown slides were due to aircraft slide faults/engineering work and not cc error.

At my current outfit, we have at least a few every year due to cc/pilot/engineering error. Can't help but think this would reduce, then again, the first airline one could rely on the ground crew doing their job properly! Bit hit and miss here depending on where you are in the world.

Interetingly, QFcrew do not cross check each other's door. They are exected to know their jb and therefore be personally responsible. I feel that this means crew are more likely to take it seriously if they can't blame it on someone else. Current airline has a senior crosscheck, which personally I don't like. I'm responsible for my own door thanks.

Aus380
12th Mar 2013, 14:26
We do not cross check at QF and all doors are opened by ground staff. Although we do not cross check I personally have a glance at the door opposite to see it is armed/disarmed. Its not something i do to check up or catch out a work mate and its not procedure but just a habit I have gotten into over the years. Four eyes are better than two

TightSlot
13th Mar 2013, 08:09
who open the aircraft door when completely parked
The answer is that the process will vary by airline, nation and finally by aircraft type. There is no "right" or "wrong" answer.
Older aircraft, usually narrow body types may use manual girt-bar slide-arming mechanisms: These types will therefore not have slides that are automatically disarmed when opened from the outside by ground staff.Operators may therefore decide that such doors can be opened by FA's, or may decide that there is one procedure for steps and another for airbridge.
Newer, and larger aircraft types may be different.