PDA

View Full Version : Eurocontrol Phase 2

helicon1
22nd Apr 2002, 18:25
Recently been invited back to Maastricht for final interview, medical and further testing after successfully negotiating Phase 1 a fortnight ago. I'm aware that many have already posted help relating to this but I was hoping someone has the 'definitive' guide to the Eurocontrol selection process. I've been to NATS' second stage recently and there's a multitude of posts and tutorials about that....so, anyone....Eurocontrol interview stage??

PS anyone else going to Maastricht on or around May 15?

phil_marshall
23rd Apr 2002, 07:58
I'm back in Maastricht for Phase 2 on 13th May ... so I'm pretty interested in anything anyone's gotta say about it too.

WX Man
23rd Apr 2002, 08:55
The information that they send you is pretty comprehensive. They don't throw any nasty surprises at you. As for the interview, they will just try and assess your motivation. It's a good idea to be pretty quick with your mental arithmetic calculations for the Phase 2... it will get tested in some of the problems they give you.

Good luck!

phil_marshall
23rd Apr 2002, 09:30
Is this comprehensive information all contained in the two side sheet of information they sent with the letter?

WX Man
23rd Apr 2002, 16:27
Yes! You can't prepare yourself any more than just knowing roughly what to expect, turning up, and getting to know the other 3 people at your selection phase. Even if you knew the exact problem beforehand, it still wouldn't help.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's not what you know beforehand that they are assessing, it's how you deal with the information that you are given at the time. Seems very fair to me, but then again I would say that wouldn't I?

phil_marshall
23rd Apr 2002, 17:49
fair enough then.

NoWay
23rd Apr 2002, 19:52
Phil, send me an email........

phil_marshall
23rd Apr 2002, 19:58
NoWay ... tried to email you from the link on your profile, but it won't let me. :(

helicon1
23rd Apr 2002, 21:33
Has anyone got experience of both NATS' and Eurocontrol's interview stage and any comparisons between them?

NATS give a 30 page manual and Eurocontrol dish out a 2 page flyer....can anything be read into this?

Seems to me that Eurocontrol's selection process is concentrated more on identification of relevant key skills and attributes rather than NATS' fascination with churning out facts and figures. I think NATS rely way too much on the personality profiling whereas Eurocontrol seem to be more interested in situational testing.

:rolleyes:

NoWay
24th Apr 2002, 10:58
Ok, Phil & helicon email me at: [email protected] and
let me know the info. supplied in the 2 sided Eurocontrol sheet.
Thanks

WX Man
24th Apr 2002, 11:16
Would be interesting to see then if anyone who failed NATS's tests actually made it to Maastricht and validated on 2 sectors (i.e. is considered fully qualified in the eyes of Eurocontrol). Or, of course, vice versa.

NoWay
25th Apr 2002, 22:14
WX Man

I know of one at least one person who has failed the NATS tests and who is now working fully qualified in Maas. Also two people who used to be Ab-Initios who worked at Maas and are now qualified and working for NATS..

Any more??

Lon More
26th Apr 2002, 20:12
Helicon1
Psy. profiling was given up at Maastricht a couple of years ago as it didn't really work.
The working language at Maastricht is, of course, English. French, German and Dutch useful for co-ordination and of course in your daily life. It would not be fair to give one group any advantage by producing documentation more easily assimilated by them than by say, a Portugese.
Some general advice;
Think about the ICAO "definitions" of ATC; Why do you want to become a Controller in Europe; What is Eurocontrol and why was it created; Is castration a suitable punishment for spotters. :D
Be prepared for anything, if time permits before your interview it wouldn't do any harm to ask if it would be possible to visit the Ops. Room- beware of wind ups however.
The best advise is to be yourself, be honest rather than bull**** if you don't know an answer.

Good Luck to all of you

WX Man
28th Apr 2002, 08:18
Actually, as part of the phase II selection you visit the Ops room as a matter of course. The visit lasts 20 minutes or so.

Being alert to what's going on in the ATC business is, of course, a must. Know about stuff like RVSM, and pay attention in your visit to the Ops room!

Minimum Rest: Sent you an email to your PPRuNe address, did you get it? I have been a divot and lost your other email address. Something to do with computers getting repaired and hard disks getting formatted in the process. RSVP to my normal address?

mvn17997
28th Apr 2002, 18:10
for those interested; try http://www.eurocontrol.int

then choose site map, then jobs and finally "Become an air traffic controller" there is a lot more than just two pages!