PDA

View Full Version : DfID to fund MoD Peacekeeping?

Squirrel 41
21st Feb 2013, 02:53
Interesting if true....

David Cameron gives green light for aid cash to go on military | Politics | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/feb/21/david-cameron-aid-military)

S41

Whenurhappy
21st Feb 2013, 06:36
Actually, this is just clawing back what the MOD has lost over the last 7-8 years. Fore example, the Security Sector Reform team, based at Swindon Poly, were part of the old Def Dip structure and were passed across to DfID, alonng with teh funding lines. DfID's discretionary budget exceeds that of the Foreign Office, too.

paully
21st Feb 2013, 07:25
`About time too` many will say....yet another U Turn from Mr Flip Flop with a difficult By Election looming. He really does look a clown..Now don`t get me wrong I`m delighted if this occurs but sadly too late to save the Harriers, MRA 4`s and many of the scrapped warships. Lets hope it will save the disbandment of large parts of the Army.

As a nation we really do have to suffer these fools dont we :ugh:

Courtney Mil
21st Feb 2013, 07:58
too late to save the Harriers, MRA 4`s and many of the scrapped warships

I don't think you'll find this is going to transfer that much into the MoD treasure chest. There is no way this would be allowed to fund major equipment programmes; peace-keeping or security ops, only, and even then only on carefully scrutinised and specific ones.

Churchills Ghost
21st Feb 2013, 09:50
The first reasonable action endorsed by what history will I am sure reveal to be an ineffectual Prime Minister.

Melchett01
21st Feb 2013, 11:38
The sandal wearing tree huggers are already up in arms about it. I think I would quite like to live - or at least visit - their world. It must be nice to live an existence that is so clear cut and well defined that there is no blurring of boundaries, makes life so much simpler.

Unfortunately, in the sort of places where aid is needed, it is often precisely because a lack of security has created a vaccuum which fairly ruthless, power hungry, money grabbing actors have been only too happy to fill. And if the likes of the Oxfam directors can't see or understand that, they have no business operating in those parts of the world whilst relying on other organisations for the provision of their security. It also questions just how well they do actually understand their own areas of expertise.