PDA

View Full Version : Instructing for a career

seagrunter
20th Feb 2013, 00:51
Hey Guys...

I've been poking around for a while on here and I'm after some opinions and current information so I though I would actually post.

I've been working in L&D for a while now both in Aus and Japan and I love it. I also love flying and have started my PPL, my father was also a GA pilot for many years. I've always wanted to work a professional pilot since I was little and over the past 8 months I have been talking to people over the phone and behind desks at Moorabbin and I thought I would like to get general opinions.

I love professional training and I really want to combine this with teaching people how to fly. This would be a career that I can really see myself doing for a long term career. The flight school tried to sell me the whole deal with cpl through to instructor rating and then you might be able to "work at the flight school if the opportunity arises". That sounds fishy and my old man thinks so as well. He also hasn't worked in the industry for about 15 years so he said his opinion and knowledge is a little outdated.

Any info greatly will appreciated. I am based in Melbourne and although working in a capital city would be ideal and best for my family but I would be able to manage a 6 hours drive from Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne or Adelaide.

DeltaT
20th Feb 2013, 07:47
Look ahead to the future and make sure you are very aware of the hour requirements and costs for progressing to Grade 1.
Have savings to get yourself starting out while you are probably employed part time/casual to start.
Take a good hard look at where you do your training as that's really going to be the place you will get your foot in the door for that first Instructing job. If you don't get in with them it will be very difficult.
Lastly, no matter what they say lots of Aviation employers lie. I don't know what it is about the Industry, perhaps because of the $$ you are spending. You can have it writing they will employ you and it can still mean nothing due to a downturn or a contract that doesn't come off etc, unless of course there is a financial penalty in the promise haha, -fantasy. You really have to case the place, numbers of students, whats happened to past Instructors that were trained there.
OR of course the Golden Egg, you know someone...

Ultralights
20th Feb 2013, 08:18
Career instructors are few and far between.. if your a good one, you will find work, its the "im just instructing to build hours" types that have led to the well, lets say, lacking airmanship and skills new pilots over the past few years/decade. a genuine will to teach and instruct will will ensure your students come out at the top.

avconnection
20th Feb 2013, 08:27
Look to the big flying collages that conduct airline training, AFT, China Southern, etc. They can offer you a long term career in teaching aviation and instruction. The other option is to look at smaller outfits (MFT/MFS etc) that have a constant flow of CPL students that allow you the opportunity to set up your own theory courses for PPL, CPL, IREX and ATPL. This can provide a more steady income through the slower months. If you do it this way you can pocket the profits from the course. If you do it through a collage you just get paid a wage, though, you know what you're earning every week.

A bit of advice (from an ATPL theory provider), if you don't plan on using the ATPL, don't pass the exams; That way you can sit them as you wish to keep up to date.

As for where to conduct your training, I'd just read through the many many threads on the topic but essentially it is easier to get work where you train, just don't expect it. I'd recommend the above for Victoria.

solowflyer
20th Feb 2013, 22:37
"A bit of advice (from an ATPL theory provider), if you don't plan on using the ATPL, don't pass the exams; That way you can sit them as you wish to keep up to date."

Good idea but you would want to be very sure you will never want to use them multiple fails won't look too good on your CV.

seagrunter
22nd Feb 2013, 04:49
Thanks for the input guys. I will be heading off to MFT early next month to chat with the guy in charge there. He said he was willing to give career advice.

the_rookie
22nd Mar 2013, 01:34
I know of grade 2s earning about 45k for single work and 50k for twin. I think that's on the high end of the scale.
I know its been said to death, but god thats rubbish. My instructor does everything possible to help me out with anything im having trouble on. Knowing he doesnt get a cent for it. Especially stuff out of work hours. Teachers are striking for a pay rise, maybe instructers should do the same!