PDA

View Full Version : Night rating printed on CPL?

StatorVane
19th Feb 2013, 20:02
I have just received my CPL from the CAA. Since I was converting from other licenses this is the first CAA/EASA license I have held and I am new to the format.

I recall, from somewhere or someone, that the CPL will come with a night rating or qualification appended automatically. This license does not mention night rating/qualification on it anywhere. Should it? Or is a given that one qualifies by virtue of the fact I am holding it in my hand?

Cheers

Curtis E Carr
19th Feb 2013, 20:25
You cannot be issued with CPL in accordance with Part-FCL without holding a night rating.

See Paragraph 10 (b) to Subpart E to Appendix 3 to Part-FCL.

StatorVane
19th Feb 2013, 20:57
I do understand that. But, since I converted from another license and do meet the night hours requirement for CPL issue I understood it that a night rating was automatically attached. After all isn't a night rating simply a case of logging a number of hours of night instruction, gaining experience of night operations, take offs and landings etc, and documenting as such - no flight tests required.

I clearly annotated my logbooks to show that I met the night experience requirements. Presumably, they would not have issued the license otherwise?

Curtis E Carr
19th Feb 2013, 21:00
Presumably, they would not have issued the license otherwise?

You presume correctly.

StatorVane
19th Feb 2013, 21:04
Ok. I was expecting to see an entry on the license but what you are saying is that would be unnecessary. The wording of "holding a night rating" threw me since a never "held" a night rating but rather have night experience.

Thanks for clarifying this.

RTN11
21st Feb 2013, 09:22
It's a night qualification, not a whole separate rating.

Under validity it will quote a JAR or EASA reference as to the privileges of the licence. If you look those up, they will state the night privileges.

If it was a PPL there would be a line at the bottom of the validity section which would state "the privileges of this licence may also be exercised at night" or something like that, but as it's a CPL these are built into the validity of the licence.

It will never appear in the ratings section, as it is not something which needs to be revalidated or renewed. The only currency requirement is 1 night TO and landing in last 90 days to carry passengers, and even this doesn't apply if you have a valid IR.

FlyingStone
21st Feb 2013, 09:37
It's a night qualification, not a whole separate rating.

It was a qualification under JAR and become rating under EASA Part-FCL.

It will never appear in the ratings section, as it is not something which needs to be revalidated or renewed.

My EASA licence shows night rating despite having valid IR for type and class rating - although you are correct that it is valid indefinitely.

Dufo
21st Feb 2013, 10:23
EASA has night rating listed despite having IR.

http://shrani.si/f/1s/Fg/3vQSgrRg/rating.jpg

RTN11
21st Feb 2013, 11:10
I wasn't aware of that little EASAism :E

It doesn't really matter where it is shown on the licence as long as you have the night privileges, which by definition you must have to have a CPL in the first place. :ok: