PDA

View Full Version : Types of background checks in aviation industry

Krautwald
18th Feb 2013, 16:22
I guess I might just as well get to the point first thing: my CV is :mad:. Well, not all for that matter. For the last 7 years itīs actually ok with a decent job and all.

However, there where 5 years before that and they keep haunting me through every application process. Not to bore you with anything here, but itīs got to do with a pretty screwed family background, being a disoriented and depressed kid with low self esteem and all that. Not something one likes to talk about, but is forced to during interviews.

Itīs FIVE years where all I can list is one college semester (dropped out) and a few odd jobs, all of which are probably not even verifiable because some of them where unofficial, and for the rest people there wonīt even remember me. If the place still exists at all, that is. I was even without an address for some of that time, crashing on peoples couch, and mostly unemployed, but not officially. You could say I was invisible.

As most people here, I am about to do something about that flying thing. I hold a PPL, doing IR right now and I would like to get on, but I seriously, seriously worry about my background. Aviation is competitive as hell, and those five years make me look nothing like the energetic, enthusiastic type. In fact, I have a serious history of quitting, donīt I? I am pretty sure that many employers, or at least the prestigious ones, are off limits to me already.

I have no intentions of lying or faking, but I do have deleveloped some application survival skills, just telling enough and not more than necessary, something which prob wonīt work with aviation psychologists. Anyhow, letīs get to the real question: I need to know how much and how far back they will dig in various stages of a flying career?

1. Student in US flight schools: Visa-wise (prob J1), is it a problem?
2. Same, Europe flight schools?
3. Applying in US (instructing, lowtimer job)
4. Applying in Europe
5. Other parts of the world
6. Different for helicopters / company jets and other specialized branches?

What I am trying to understand is this: Will they go really deep into my circumstances or would it be more of a check of criminal records, driving record, and such? I am 100% clean in this regard. I guess there are two types of checks, one to verify my experience and see whether I am the right type for the job/company, the other being a mere security clearance, right? Any branches/countries that do so extensive clearances that those 5 years will look suspicious? I guess that clearance to jump about SAR or Oil firm bases will be stricter than clearance to fly a King Air regionally, you get the picture.

You may also tell me to stop being weird and worry so much. Will it be all good and no worries, as soon as I hit the 10-year mark with a perfectly normal decade behind me? ;)

No seriously, what do people like me do? Apart from not becoming pilots at all, which is true statistically...

POS_INT
19th Feb 2013, 07:33
I just read your post!

intresting story, 5 years of nothing wow, you must have been board as hell :sad:

Airlines dig deep, they are letting you loose in equipment which cost's millions of dollars, and also letting you fly X number of pax

interview yourself honestly and decided wether you would give yourself the job based on your C.V

redsnail
19th Feb 2013, 09:32
Security checks are one thing. If it's clean, happy days.

Background checks? Personally I think you're working yourself up over nothing.
You could turn it around into something positive. Eg, I had a turbulent time in my youth, tried a few different things, nothing illegal and then I found what I wanted to do. Got on with it, held a steady job etc

Most companies just want to know if you have a licence, have no restrictions on your passport, can fit in and you're not a complete numpty to spend all day with. (Sadly, more and more are also asking "how would you like to pay for those hours..." :( )

Krautwald
19th Feb 2013, 12:54
POS,

I wasnīt bored. Just struggling. Would I give myself a job? Prob not a valid question, as I have an inside perspective on this stuff, while recruiters donīt. Competitive industries tend to be dominated by middle-class types who will very likely know zip about experiences like mine. So while I would at least not dump an applicant because of bad times, and give him a shot to show me what kind of pilot he is, many recruiters will prob use the same bad times for reducing the nauseatingly high stack of applications on their desk. Not blaming them here.

Itīs not failing the requirements I worry about, itīs being wrecked long before I ever get to face a recruiting Cpt. or SIM-flight.

What I basically did in these years was learn to function, learn about how to get along. It may sound weird, but I was raised in a very uncommon environment and apart from the real heavy stuff that was going down there, it was also quite isolated from normal society. You could say I had to raise myself, teach myself and grow up by myself, AFTER I left home. But that is not something you can write in an application.

If stuff so far back doesnīt matter, good for me. If they check your youth as much as your current situation - not so good.

bravobravo74
19th Feb 2013, 15:53
If you can provide an accurate and legitimate five-year employment history (along with the details of personal referees to cover any gaps) and don't have any criminal convictions then you should be fine.

Use your experience to your advantage when it comes to interviews.

TeaTowel
19th Feb 2013, 16:37
I hope you don't mind ,e jumping in on your thread.

I have much the same problem but due to lack of work in Ireland rather than personal reasons. I have been unemployed 2 and a half years but in that time I have done my ATPL's, hourbuilding and CPL/MEIR. I have two large 5 month gaps between my PPL and ATPL's, and hourbuilding and CPL. I was actively looking for part-time work in those periods(still am!:mad:) but the Irish recession has been a disaster for me.:uhoh: In fact everyone I know in every industry has large gaps.

I already have police clearance so fine on that front but can I use my parents fro personal references during my gaps? I was living with them then and back with them now.

Krautwald
19th Feb 2013, 17:28
Donīt mind "interference" at all. I have always wondered where all the others where.

As TeaTowel said, people do have gaps. Even more so since a fast paced global economy has taken over. This is not the 60s where you started as an apprentice at 16 and retired from the same company 50 years later. On the other hand, not everybody is in a position to move to Dubai or China. Many people will simply be stuck with their countrys economic ups and downs.

Coveted industries with many hurdles (pre-selection, psych interview, aptitude test, clearances, background investigations) may very well become extremely hard to enter for an increasing number of people. I find more and more young people affected by unstable personal or professional circumstance, both of which will reflect on their CV. Still, the problem of getting around gatekeepers with an unhelpful personal record, is rarely discussed on aviation forums. Or maybe these people are in fact too scared to enter competitive fields?

737aviator
19th Feb 2013, 19:04
Personal references are normally from friends and not people who are related to you.

From a security check point of view, as long as one can honestly put down on paper what one was doing during that time and a non-relative can submit a written declaration that verifies this and the time period then there shouldn't be a problem.

Most of the time just the last 5 years is fine too, although some airlines ask for 10 year!

tom775257
20th Feb 2013, 09:42
In both airline jobs I have had (1x European flag carrier, 1x UK 'major'), there was no mention about anything apart from my flying history at the interview. Certainly to get a job as a flying instructor I don't think I had any questions about my past! So long as you haven't been in trouble with 'the law' you will get your security check okay. Even if they ask you about it, so long as you can explain it, why would it be a problem?

If you have had a tough youth but you pulled yourself together and managed to get a commercial licence, to me that is impressive.