PDA

View Full Version : Posting to Dubai?

serf
18th Feb 2013, 16:19
UK forces in talks over placing troops and airbases in the UAE - The National (http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/politics/uk-forces-in-talks-over-placing-troops-and-airbases-in-the-uae)

smujsmith
18th Feb 2013, 16:31
I actually spent around 2 months there in the build up to GW1 in Abu Dhabi, with part of Her Majesties finest tactical air transport operators. Alway a nice place, never had any threats from locals etc. Good, western friendly food, KFC etc. and nicely warm. I would think most would enjoy a tour then as opposed to Afghanistan etc.

Smudge

sisemen
19th Feb 2013, 14:49
If Denis Healy hadn't done such a good hatchet job we would still be in situ. At the time we said it would all end in tears and we'd be back.

Motleycallsign
19th Feb 2013, 15:24
Sharjah was an enjoyable short tour for me; with Sunday outings to Deira/Dubai, swimming off Ajman beach and occaisional flying to places like Firq & Saiq in Oman.

sycamore
19th Feb 2013, 16:22
C/S Mot, thread on `Historics about Sharjah...

oldmansquipper
19th Feb 2013, 22:01
Four landings there earned the `4 Firq Saiq` tie, I beleive :D

Heathrow Harry
20th Feb 2013, 16:52
"If Denis Healy hadn't done such a good hatchet job we would still be in situ. At the time we said it would all end in tears and we'd be back."

wow !! 40 years waiting to be proved right......................

alisoncc
20th Feb 2013, 21:46
A posting to Dubai could be fun. Probably hasn't changed much since I was there in '66. :) The Souk, ferries to cross the river, no tarmac'ed roads. Yup, definitely a good posting. :ok:

Motleycallsign
21st Feb 2013, 08:04
ferries to cross the river

They seemed to be the same ferries running 5 yrs ago as they were back in '71, same old Perkins diesel bus engines too!!!

Trim Stab
21st Feb 2013, 09:57
Plenty of nice hotels in Dubai - perfect for the RAF.

cheese bobcat
21st Feb 2013, 16:38
I have just returned from Dubai. The last time I was there was around 12 years ago; the changes were incredible!

If anyone thinks there would have been no change from the sixties, they must be joking!

CB

tommoutrie
21st Feb 2013, 16:49
just got back from a beer in the Irish Village, Dubai, beside the tennis stadium where the open is taking place. Its 21 degrees C, there's a cool breeze, there's pretty girls wandering about everywhere, its brilliant down here. Spot more swimming tomorrrow I think..

Boy_From_Brazil
21st Feb 2013, 17:40
I couldn't agree more with the positive statements. Sadly, I have just left Dubai after 3 very happy years. Definitely the best Emirate to live in. Abu Dhabi is a distant second, although friends who live there really love it.

Sharjah is dry and pretty boring, fortunately it is only 20 minutes from Dubai!

The Emirati people are very welcoming and refreshingly liberal compared to most of the GCC states.

The Friday brunches with unlimited alcohol and amazing food are the best on the planet.

moggiee
21st Feb 2013, 19:50
Sharjah was an enjoyable short tour for me; with Sunday outings to Deira/Dubai, swimming off Ajman beach and occaisional flying to places like Firq & Saiq in Oman.
You wouldn't enjoy Sharjah now - dry, dull full of car scrapyards and VERY "conservative" (the government idolises Saudi Arabia!).

Abu Dhabi is OK, Dubai is fun, cheap fuel, expensive everything else (especially pork and beer for obvious reasons) and you do have to be terribly careful about offending local sensibilities. The most friendly people are to be found across the border in Oman.

vascodegama
22nd Feb 2013, 06:10
My guess is that it is Minhad on offer -not quite the same!!

BBadanov
22nd Feb 2013, 08:25
D**k B**k was the RAF QFI secondee in Dubai in the early 80s - he had a ball flying their Macchis and single-seaters, then as a bonus had to go back to UK for the Hawk pick-up. He swore by the place.

I later visited myself - both in AD and Dubai - for business in the late 80s and loved it. But that was over 20 yrs ago before all the island and high-rise development. I guess I wouldn't recognise it!