PDA

View Full Version : JP5's up for sale Nine of them!

NutLoose
16th Feb 2013, 17:01
Sweet :)

JET PROVOSTS FOR SALE - Jet Provost File (http://www.jetprovostfile.org/jet-provosts-for-sale/)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
16th Feb 2013, 17:24
Nice little runabouts and quite easy to keep. My last JP flight was through the Rocky Mountains - in one of the jets sold to private owners in the US.

500 ft MSD only applies if there are any persons, vessels, vehicles or structures; and in the Rockies, there aren't :E

Green Flash
16th Feb 2013, 17:56
Blimey, I hadn't realised so many had gone over the pond, the skies of North America must be thick with 'em! :ok:
Fond memories of trips in the Linton weather ship many moons ago :) What a lovely little jet.

CoffmanStarter
16th Feb 2013, 18:07
Just asked Mrs Coff if she had any ideas for my 56th birthday present yet ... got a stern look when I ... don't bother ... socks again :(

Pontius Navigator
16th Feb 2013, 18:27
Buy them back in, I am sure a unit at Scampton could put them to good use.

CoffmanStarter
16th Feb 2013, 18:32
PN ... Naughty boy :E

Reform The Poachers as a 9 ship Team :ok:

brokenlink
16th Feb 2013, 19:15
I do hope there are some left at that nice RAF training base with the museum attached. Annual camp there for some local cadets this year, was hoping to get them a "trip" in a JP.

beardy
16th Feb 2013, 20:19
They could even replace the grounded Tutors

Tiger_mate
16th Feb 2013, 21:04
Brokenlink:- already too late for that one I am afraid. All taxi aircraft are Jaguar nowadays and the JP have not been started in over a year. All JP are set aside for disposal.

Beancountercymru
16th Feb 2013, 21:48
Tiger Mate
Are not the ones for sale those that you refer to?

The ad says "IDEAL POTENTIAL RETURN TO FLIGHT AIRCRAFT HAVING BEEN USED FOR INSTRUCTIONAL GROUND TAXI USE FOR THE TRAINING OF GROUND CREW. LAST FLOWN IN THE EARLY NINETIES BUT HAVE BEEN REGULARLY GROUND RUN, PROFESSIONALLY MAINTAINED, DRY STORED/SERVICED FOR GROUND TAXI USE UP UNTIL LAST YEAR."

CoffmanStarter
17th Feb 2013, 09:07
You could always whip out the Vipers and build a new generation of MRD's (we probably only need nine these days :()... an ideal project for those thrusting young engineers at Cosford.

airborne_artist
17th Feb 2013, 09:20
May I be the first to say that the JP was perhaps the finest example of the constant thrust, variable noise aircraft ;)

Bigpants
17th Feb 2013, 10:09
Hmmm. Well assuming the enthusiastic engineers have not buggered, over temped the engines while starting them up and taxiing etc there is the small but expensive issue of replacing the MB cartridges in both seats.... Oh and ensuring there is a parachute in the brown bag and not a collection of rags...Oh and installing the seat properly with the top latch engaged otherwise someone might fall out the plane again while doing loopy loops....

A good aircraft if run by a decent group with sensible engineers.

Wander00
17th Feb 2013, 10:11
Heck, did the JP really go out of service 20 years ago - now where is my zimmer..................

Basil
17th Feb 2013, 10:21
Lovely little fun machine - but only if someone else is paying.
Never flew the 5 - been told that the pressurisation bleed reduces the power to about that of the 3 :(

Wander00
17th Feb 2013, 10:23
JP3 - "power" - no, just the triumph of hope over experience!

BEagle
17th Feb 2013, 10:43
Never flew the 5 - been told that the pressurisation bleed reduces the power to about that of the 3

Not true.

The JP5 had a simple, effective and reliable pressurisation system and flew very nicely indeed with the extra oomph.

Dan Winterland
17th Feb 2013, 13:25
"Never flew the 5 - been told that the pressurisation bleed reduces the power to about that of the 3"

Not so. The Mk3 had a viper 101 series engine rated at 1650lbs (IIRC) and the Mk 5 had a Viper 201 series engine rated at 2450lbs (again IIRC). The Mk5 was a rocket ship compared with the athsmatic Mk3. Perhaps you are thinking of the Mk4 which also had the 201 and no pressurisation. I often heard the Mk4 was a better performer than the Mk5, but chaps who had flown both said it was impossible to detect any difference in performance.

Tankertrashnav
17th Feb 2013, 15:48
As a nav holding awaiting the NBS course I was lucky enough to get a four week low level nav course at Linton. My first trip was in JP T5 XW300, which was almost brand new with only "delivery mileage" in the book. Great fun, my pilot Al Colesky thought I ought to learn to fly, and his version of ab initio training went - lesson one - the loop (no boring straight and level or gentle turns). With the JP5's ample power even I found I could do a pretty respectable loop with only a little nudging from Al

The aircraft didnt last long as it was written off in a fatal mid-air collision with a Sea Prince less than a year later.

Courtney Mil
17th Feb 2013, 19:02
May I be the first to say that the JP was perhaps the finest example of the constant thrust, variable noise aircraft

A well-based and well-constructed bit of banter against the JP. But, as Dan Winterland says, the JP5 and the Strikemaster were different beasts. No JP was a real rocket ship, but for a little jet of its day the 5 was worlds apart from the other versions. And, you can always turn the pressurization off if you think you need the extra thrust. I cheated, very successfully, in an inter-squadron 1v1 combat competition at Chivenor, doing the same thing in the Hawk.

brokenlink
17th Feb 2013, 19:48
Tiger mate, Thank you for the heads up, will just have to ask very nicely and see if we can get some of the sprogs in a Jag.

NigelOnDraft
17th Feb 2013, 21:12
Still fly / instruct on JP 3/4/5.

3: yes - light on thrust but the nicest handling of them all. And aeros low down is not just more capable, you don't have to move your left hand ;)

4: 3 with Mk 5 engine, in lighter airframe / no pressurisation. Good off the blocks, but the bulbous nose slows it down at higher speeds

5: Gentleman's cruising machine. Handles like a barge compared to the 3/4, but is quiet, quick with electric windows :ok:

4 v 5: Formation takeoff sees the Mk 4 needing slightly reduced thrust, but over ~200K, the Mk 5 needs less power.

NoD

NutLoose
17th Feb 2013, 22:56
Tiger mate, Thank you for the heads up, will just have to ask very nicely and see if we can get some of the sprogs in a Jag.

It will be a bit of a come down from the thrust of a JP

sisemen
18th Feb 2013, 01:45
They never post the bloody price :(

mike-wsm
18th Feb 2013, 08:28
Can't beat the original Alvis powered version for sound quality. :cool:

27mm
18th Feb 2013, 10:02
JP3 had 1750, not 1650lb of thrust, IIRC. Academic, really!

Dan Winterland
18th Feb 2013, 13:11
Thanks - I didn't remember correctly. I only flew the Mk3 a few times while going through CFS - I was a product of Cranditz. Can't say I noticed that extra 100lbs!

27mm
19th Feb 2013, 12:38
No probs, Dan; it reminded me of the Harrier mate on our CFS JP course, on his first dual trip in the mighty JP3 - he wound up to full chat, released the brakes - and promptly slammed the throttle shut again. The QFI asked him what the %$£*&% he did that for - Harrier mate responded that as nothing happened on brake release, there must have been an engine snag!;)

thing
19th Feb 2013, 18:07
All taxi aircraft are Jaguar nowadays

'Twas the Red's ex Gnats when I was there instructing. I seem to remember the anoraks howling when we scrubbed off the pilot's names and painted on the names of the techy instructors who taxied them.

NutLoose
19th Feb 2013, 18:48
Probably why the RAF had the embarrassment of having to buy a Jag back to make up the numbers for taxiable jets

hunty
20th Feb 2013, 20:20
Gents

Just had a message from the company selling these jets, which said the guide price is £20K each jet. :rolleyes:

hunterboy
21st Feb 2013, 10:13
It will be more interesting to know what the market price is for one of these...I'd be surprised if it reached 5 figures.....

NutLoose
27th Feb 2013, 21:48
Now on evilbay

BAC Jet Provost MK5 Aircraft JP5 Jet Trainer ex RAF. Very complete with engine | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAC-Jet-Provost-MK5-Aircraft-JP5-Jet-Trainer-ex-RAF-Very-complete-with-engine-/130859467927?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item1e77d50497)