PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) from fixed wing

deltahotel
15th Feb 2013, 10:45
Don't know if this belongs here or Private Flying, but here goes - currently ATPL(A) 10000TT blah blah blah, also SEP. What's the path for crossover to RW for fun at PPL(H) level? If it's going to be added to an existing commercial licence, is it called PPL(H) or does it have another title (as SEP is rather than PPL)? Any credits given for hours/exams etc?

Many thanks

readgeoff
15th Feb 2013, 11:14
I believe you may get 5 hours flying credit off the 45 hour minimum requirement although most pilots need more time than that anyway to get to the standard.

The main thing to be aware of is that if you are flying both fixed and rotory wing and fixed wing is your main flying then you do expose yourself to some not insignificant risks if/when thing start going wrong in a heli.

In a helicopter when you have an engine failure your in built natural reaction has to be to pull back on the cyclic to flair the helicopter and lower the collective. The problem is that the stall reaction of an airline pilot is to instinctively push forward on the stick which has catastrophic and fatal consequences in a helicopter. It can be trained into you of course and there are many that do fly both but there are still a number of accident reports from low hours helicopter pilots with high fixed wing experience getting into trouble (check out this months Feb 2013 AAIB report that has another fatal accident of this type).

I used to fly both but decided to move entirely onto rotary to ensure my reactions in an emergency were ingrained - plus I prefer choppers :)

In terms of the exams I've no idea if they have to be redone in their entirety. You would have to do the Rotary theory paper and the helicopter type paper for sure.

muffin
15th Feb 2013, 14:50
You will find the complete crossover path in CAP604. I added a PPL(H) to my PPL(A) a few years ago and it was just two exams IIRC. As above, you do (I think) get 5 hours off the minimum training time but as almost nobody ever does it in min time anyway that is not really too relevant.

Good luck - best thing I ever did.

hiwaytohell
16th Feb 2013, 04:08
I also had the same scenario high time ATPL (A) to PPL (H) 40hrs minimum plus the flight test and 2 exams.

Fantastic learning curve!

Get a good instructor though! (If you are doing in Australia and want some recommendations PM me).

Arm out the window
16th Feb 2013, 05:07
You must also be ready to be ribbed mercilessly for being a fixed wing dick until such time as your rotary hours exceed your plank ones.

Seriously though, the transition isn't too dramatic for most people in my experience.

Have fun!