PDA

View Full Version : Sightseeing from a PA28?

Cunliffe
14th Feb 2013, 12:13
I'm going on holiday soon to Gran Canaria and hoping to enjoy a flight round the island. The aircraft on offer is a Piper PA28.
My question is about the view from the window. I have previously taken trips in high wing Cessnas and I wonder if the wing of the PA28 will impede the view.
Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Cunliffe

Captain_Snape
14th Feb 2013, 12:37
Hi,

I personally love the PA28 and I think the view is not to much impeded by the wing, not quite the same as a high wing but you can always tilt her a bit?

+TSRA
14th Feb 2013, 13:38
I used to do scenic flying in both a 172 and a PA28 for an operator in New Zealand. I found the Cessna was great for scenic flights where you had to fly directly over a spot - a volcano for instance - but was not very good for the scenic views for cruising along a beach. On the other hand, the PA28 was great for scenery which was off in the distance (about 5 miles or more), but was not so great if there was something immediately below you.

The great thing about the Piper is that if you see something you like, you can put your wing on it and get photos which include a lot of sky and a bit of airplane; however, the thing you're taking a photo of will be in the distance. The great thing about the Cessnas is you can get a lot of "close up" pictures of something you like, but if you want sky, you'll be getting mostly airplane.

It's a trade off, but if you're going to be following a coast, then piper all the way!

Cunliffe
15th Feb 2013, 10:16
Thanks for your comments.
Looks like it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
Cheers
Cunliffe