PDA

View Full Version : Thai Airways LHR-BKK-LHR

adambsmith
13th Feb 2013, 20:51
Just booked Thai Airways from Heathrow to Bangkok return.

The booking indicates a 747-400 on both trips.

Anyone any idea what inflight entertainment we can expect?

GAZ45
13th Feb 2013, 21:26
Pretty sure theres none I'm afraid to say...

There is shared TV (old style film on the shared monitors) on the 747 economy.
Unless your on the A340-600 which has newer personal IFE options

adambsmith
13th Feb 2013, 21:57
Cheers - iPad and a headphone splitter then!

Skipness One Echo
13th Feb 2013, 22:24
When are you flying? The route has been an A340-600 for a while. Did you book direct? I was looking to book a flight but the website was just unusable. Drop down destinations were empty and no option for free text!

GAZ45
13th Feb 2013, 22:31
I've flown the route a fair bit (last year) with Thai - LHR-BKK has been practically empty every time, so the lack of IFE was overshadowed by the fact that you could designate the full middle section of seats as your own bed for 12 hours - nice!

adambsmith
14th Feb 2013, 06:12
Skipness: flying during the third week in May. I had the same trouble with their website too. Told them about it by a tweet and email. The .com site works but not the .co.uk site. Ended up booking through Opodo - cheaper than Thai Airways .com site and £15 cash back from topcashback.co.uk (every little helps).

adambsmith
14th Feb 2013, 06:13
Gaz45: sounds good, fingers crossed we get an empty one.

The availability when we booked through Opodo was showing as "good" so we certainly weren't getting the last seats.

Skipness One Echo
14th Feb 2013, 08:24
LHR-BKK has been practically empty every time
It's going back to the B744 for the summer as well (!)

Smoketrails
14th Feb 2013, 08:52
Some B744's have been upgraded and have the newest IFE fitted!

ZFT
14th Feb 2013, 09:13
Did you book direct? I was looking to book a flight but the website was just unusable. Drop down destinations were empty and no option for free text!

Recently there was some sort of upgrade that seemed to make anything other than IE virtually unusable with the TG website but IE still works fine and I use it almost weekly

Smoketrails
14th Feb 2013, 09:25
This was meant to be a link to a photo on airliners.net of an upgraded Thai B744 cabin:}

adambsmith
14th Feb 2013, 11:53
thaiairways.co.uk is defo not working for me whether on IE, Chrome or Safari (iPad).

Skipness One Echo
14th Feb 2013, 12:33
Agreed, I tried IE to see if that made a difference. I am beginning to see why the flights are half empty (!)

ZFT
14th Feb 2013, 14:58
Try http://www.thaiairways.com/ cos just booked a flight and it works fine on IE

Businesstraveller
14th Feb 2013, 18:26
If you're turning left when you board, you'll have arm rest mounted TVs. OK size, but they don't compare with the new offerings from Swiss, Lufthansa or BA.

adambsmith
19th Feb 2013, 10:47
The .co.uk site for Thai Airways is now operational I noticed this morning.

Price on the Thai Airways site was more than we obtained from opodo.com :ok:

adambsmith
21st May 2013, 00:30
Just arrived in BKK on a Thai Air 747 and it had a full IFE system which was very good. 50 odd very new films available (economy).

Saved £200 over BA and got a far better service with Thai.

gdiphil
22nd May 2013, 14:21
There was a time I always used TG because of the lack of IFE. I much prefer the old days, more legroom under the seat without all that stuff and nobody tapping your seat behind you. The boredom was great, just looked out the window and daydream. If it was dark I dozed off usually. Or of course read. Now I accept I can do all that today and some of the entertainment these days is terrific but I did enjoy the journey without it. Nostalgia ain't what is used to be is it?