PDA

View Full Version : Bloated belly problem

MonarchOrBust
13th Feb 2013, 16:00
No doubt this will provide you guys with endless amounts of laughter but as I have no one else who can quite comprehend my problem, I thought I'd share it with my fellow aviation pals. OK, so I started flying commercially a few years ago and have this annoying problem after an hour or two in the air. Basically, after a while my belly feels bloated and my waste line becomes extremely sensitive. Measure me up for a pair of trousers and I'll fit into a 36in waist but I have learnt through experience that 36in doesn't work for me when flying. So I normally buy 38in. Now, ordinarily and without a belt, these 38in trousers want to fall onto the floor if I'm standing, proof they are way too big for me. Yet, the same trousers, sitting down and only an hour or two into the flight, become unbearable and I must pop open at least the upper button and loosen the belt by about 3 notches.

I initially thought it was the fizzy drinks but have since noticed that it's eating or drinking in general (anything for that matter) that brings it on. Any ideas?

PS: I'm in my early 30s and though the belly is starting to appear now I'm not quite tubby yet :). I'm average build and weight is spot on for height 5'11.

Thanks

Cognoscenti
14th Feb 2013, 02:54
Your question attracted me to this unfamiliar territory :D

I want to troubleshoot this problem for you :ok:

It's not uncommon for people to experience the same level of discomfort whilst driving a car long distances. This uncomfortability arises from the torso and lower body converging from 180 degrees (standing) to 90 degrees (seated) and remaining fixed for extended periods of time. Now, as a consequence, compression results in the abdominal region. This causes the stomach muscles to flex outwardly. If this area is layered with excessive subcutaneous fat, the outward protrusion of the stomach is exacerbated, it propagates further. Essentially, you are increasing the volume of matter into an area incapable of accommodating the protuberance, i.e. size 36 pants (amber caution).

If left unresolved, because abdominal organs are fitted with various pain receptors that detect abnormal mechanical and chemical stimuli, they send signals to the brain which leads to the sensation of pain or feeling bloated, etc. The mechanisms to produce the “bloating belly problem” would be:

Inflammation: This leads to the production of special chemicals that activate the pain receptors.
Ischaemia (lack of blood supply).
Stretching of muscles and the capsules (coverings) of organs.
Nerve stimulation: Sometimes tumours can invade nerves and cause pain signals (master caution).

To resolve the discomfort would be divergence of the lower and upper body (stand up). But you can’t do that. So what do you do? What you did, wear size 38 waist pants (>36), but with an elasticised waist. You can either buy them of the shelf or have yours tailored. They exist and work as advertised.

Alternative long term solution would be healthy eating and exercise (my choice). Will reduce not only subcutaneous fat, but reduce the stubborn visceral fat.

Of course, seek professional medical advice from your physician if the irritability persists.

fernytickles
14th Feb 2013, 11:12
Not an uncommon problem. Gastric barotrauma was brought up in our "human performance & limitation" classes. I don't remember there being much detail about it, just that it does occur & is very unpleasant, but trying googling the term. You may find something helpful there. Maybe try homeopathic anti-bloating remedies such as fennel? A quick google search brought up this website, which seems to have some really sensible, non-CAA alarming suggestions to avoid bloating. I'm sure you'll find many others out there.

Stomach Bloating Home Remedies & Treatment (http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/remedy/Bloating.html)

MonarchOrBust
14th Feb 2013, 15:04
Wow, thanks for the suggestions. Will get to work with them right away.

gingernut
14th Feb 2013, 21:30
How old are you ?

homonculus
14th Feb 2013, 21:36
Interesting answers

I presume you are flying in a pressurised aircraft and so you are depressurising to about 8000 ft. As a result the gas in your guts will expand. Most people notice some abdominal distension but you are to put it mildly more aware

The two reasons that spring to mind are

1 you are air swallowing so there is more gas in your stomach. This can be due to eustatian tube issues or anxiety or boredom!!!!! Might be worth excluding the former

2. You have more gas in your guts already. This may be diet dependant such as a high roughage diet. Equally chronic constipation may be a exacerbating factor.

I would suggest you see your family doctor to explore these issues in the first instance

Agaricus bisporus
16th Feb 2013, 17:26
The Daily Wail to the rescue!
Staggering, simply staggering...

Holding in wind during flights is bad for your body claims scientists who suggest flatulence-absorbing solutions | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279678/Holding-wind-flights-bad-body-claims-scientists-suggest-flatulence-absorbing-solutions.html)

cavortingcheetah
16th Feb 2013, 18:34
A little something which might help relieve the symptoms and permit resumption of the usual svelte figure would be a little white pill containing hyoscine butylbromide. It derives from Duboisia commonly called Corkwood Tree which is a genus of small perennial shrubs to trees about 14 m tall having extremely light wood and a thick corky bark. There are four species which occur in Australia and one also occurs in New Caledonia.

homonculus
16th Feb 2013, 19:17
Hyoscine is an anticholinergic which effects the heart, vision and brain. Take it and you will be illegal.

Reading the aforementioned newspaper is not illegal but.....

MonarchOrBust
17th Feb 2013, 02:19
I'm 32

(ten characters)

cavortingcheetah
17th Feb 2013, 15:09
Ask your AME about the side effects of (shhhh) Buscopan.
Failing that option and here with the courtesy of the favourite rag of the farting classes........
Holding in wind during flights is bad for your body claims scientists who suggest flatulence-absorbing solutions | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279678/Holding-wind-flights-bad-body-claims-scientists-suggest-flatulence-absorbing-solutions.html)

homonculus
17th Feb 2013, 18:43
Buscopan is hypos cine

Anyone got any sensible suggestions?

gingernut
17th Feb 2013, 21:42
Try and avoid the gas forming foods (beans etc), maybe worth having a chat to your ame about mebeverine.:)

homonculus
17th Feb 2013, 21:58
Me eternise is indeed good for hyper mobility but not sure this is the issue here and reducing peristalsis may make the problem worse

Side effects include heart block, dizziness, headache, reduced levels of consciousness. Psychosis has been reported in this group of drugs. He the sufferer is flying multi pilot !!!!!

But agree about diet so go see a GP

Nas
18th Feb 2013, 01:20
You need to fart. Let it out. :O

cavortingcheetah
18th Feb 2013, 03:16
What you also need is a list from the CAA of banned or prohibited medication. Since there doesn't easily appear to be such a list on your website perhaps you should consult your doctor for a dietary suggestion or medical remedy and give your AME or the CAA a call to ensure that any specific product has no limitations or restrictions. The previously mentioned anti spasmodic works well although were you older and had you prostate problems such a product would possibly not be such a good idea. Check it out, but softly softly lest the CAA get worried that your wind problems might cause you to catastrophically blow up in the cockpit or become so pain ridden as to become incapacitated. They might like to see you referred to and signed off by a gastro enterologist, which might be a thought anyway.

Bearcat
18th Feb 2013, 06:43
I use Colofac and buscopan. I had similar probs, cramps and serious wind. All associated with IBS. All sorted now.

Fearless Leader
19th Feb 2013, 00:54
Experts tell flatulent flyers: let rip (http://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-02-experts-flatulent-flyers-rip.html)

Nas
19th Feb 2013, 13:23
80% of the bad odor is eliminated in the first 30 seconds and the smell-reducing capabilities are retained even after 100 washes. :O prrrrrp

Japan Trend Shop | Deoest Odor Eliminating Deodorant Underwear (http://www.japantrendshop.com/deoest-odor-eliminating-deodorant-underwear-p-1554.html)