PDA

View Full Version : Military helicopter pilot takes her 5 year old daughter on missions

mickjoebill
12th Feb 2013, 23:37
From a series of articles about 12 inspiring Asian women, the life story of Latifa Nabizada, helicopter pilot with the Afghan Air Force.

Meet Latifa Nabizada, Afghanistan's first woman military helicopter pilot - Mama Asia - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-12/latifa-nabizada-mama-asia-afghanistan/4489756)

Mickjoebill

Adroight
13th Feb 2013, 05:22
Thank you. Humbling.

Limeygal
13th Feb 2013, 13:11
Inspiring-let's hope the leaders of that country will drag themselves into the 21st century and give women the support they need and the respect they deserve (actually the 20th century would be a start!)

hueyracer
13th Feb 2013, 15:13
What do you expect? Applause, because she takes a 5-year old kid with her in a (military) helicopter when flying in a war zone?

:ugh:

homonculus
13th Feb 2013, 15:20
Two more victims of oppression and barberism, and another consequence of starting a war without a viable exit strategy

Matari
13th Feb 2013, 17:37
Two more victims of oppression and barberism, and another consequence of starting a war without a viable exit strategy

Really? This oppression of this brave woman and her child at the hands of the Taliban is the result of starting a war without viable exit strategy? So the good Taliban had rosters of female pilots and daycare centers before the evil Yanks arrived?

Baloney. Take it to Jet Blast.

Thomas coupling
13th Feb 2013, 19:26
It's probably the yanks that gave her the idea in the first instance.
Live and let live I say. 1 week after the west pulls out, she'll be back to where she was before the yanks arrived.
The whole process was and is a complete and utter waste of trillions of dollars.
[And above all else: Lives].

Low Flier
13th Feb 2013, 21:18
I think she's one of the "helicopter sisters" who appeared in the somewhat moving film made by the Danish woman who flew a small Piper plankwing from her home village all the way to kabul to encourage a young Afghan girl to pusue her ambition to become a pilot.

Interesting film:
Flight to Afghanistan.. - Video Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/kiW4MhCWM4Xzal66hy#.URwH8R1SjoZ)

The mean-spirited American don't come out much better than the Soviets/Taliban who promoted the helicopter sisters in the first place, but the film isn't about the USAF.

The Helicopter Sisters appear at around 44:00 if you have got the time or interest to watch the whole film. Some of the spoken words are in Danish and the sub-titles are in Swedish, but it's ll quite understandable really.

heliduck
27th Feb 2013, 08:34
Wow, never expected to read about a woman succeeding in that part of the world! Just a snippet I found in the local rag but quite inspirational given the challenges she faced to fly. Makes sweeping a hangar for a few years to get a gig flying seem like a walk in the park. She has been flying for 5 years with her daughter in the cockpit on military missions, anyone have a copy of the risk assessment for that one?!?!
Meet Latifa Nabizada, Afghanistan's first woman military helicopter pilot - Mama Asia - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-12/latifa-nabizada-mama-asia-afghanistan/4489756)

Brilliant Stuff
27th Feb 2013, 10:12
It's brilliant that isn't it!!!!!! That daughter will be an awesome pilot soon:ok::ok::ok:

Very humbling that's for sure, very humbling.

topendtorque
27th Feb 2013, 11:34
yes very humbling,

I do hope if she has to that she can get out and there should be more than enough entrees via the good people here for her.

i wish her well.

tet