PDA

View Full Version : Aviation regulator in Germany?

RAJAM
20th Apr 2002, 15:29
Could anybody tell me the name or the website link to the Aviation Regulator in Germany??
I need to ask them about a conversion of an Australian PPL to an equivalent in Germany.
I have exhausted myself looking through search engines
Thankyou in advance..:)

Denti
20th Apr 2002, 16:31
Hi Rajam,

it's called "Luftfahrt Bundesamt" the website is www.lba.de. It's the biggest unlighted manmade obstacle to aviation in germany.

Denti

fcit
21st Apr 2002, 07:18
Howdy Rajam,

you might want to check out:

http://www.lba.de/Organi/gfl/l1/2485.htm

Good luck
fcit

RAJAM
22nd Apr 2002, 14:06
Thanks guys, I couldn't make much sense of it myself, quite a challenging site!! I have sent an email and hopefully they will reply....
Just at a guess, would you know the situation of a conversion or the inclusions if you hold an Australian PPL(A) licence but didn't do a radar endoresment.. we weren't aware that it was a requirement in Germany and have been told that basically your licence would be worth no more than toilet tissue!
Surely this couldn't be true??
Wouldn't it just be a case of doing a radar endoresment there and then doing the conversion??
Once again, thankyou for spending the time to reply..

FL310
22nd Apr 2002, 20:39
Rajam, there is nothing like a radar endorsement in Germany. What you can achieve is a simple validation of your ICAO PPL-A which will entitle you to fly single engine aeroplanes (land) with a MTOW of 2,000 kgs under VFR...nothing else.
Also all controlled aerodromes operate on English language, this beside the German one of course, be aware that most airfields still operate only in German language as they are not certified to use the English language, the reason is to have certified radio operators available at all times in both language. Also this appears odd, in Germany there still exists an all German Radio Certificate valid to operate on German registered aeroplanes under VFR procedures.

To get something directly from the licensing department, use following phone numbers:

Head of department
Mr. Kramer +49 531 2355-363
Officers
Mrs. Kluth +49 531 2355-330
Mrs. Salle +49 531 2355-326
Mr. Wadsack +49 531 2355-324
Mrs. Greve +49 531 2355-332
Facsimile +49 531 2355-731

There is of course a complete answer to your questions in the AIP, you may have friends in Germany who need to scan and mail the respective pages to you.

bookworm
23rd Apr 2002, 10:16
there is nothing like a radar endorsement in Germany

Doesn't the old CVFR rating still exist in some form, then? Or is it all wrapped up in the PPL these days?

bookworm
23rd Apr 2002, 10:26
RAJAM try

General Recognition of Foreign Certificates or Licences (NfL II - 4/95) (http://www.lba.de/dokumente/nfl/1995/ii495e.pdf)

validation of foreign flight crew member licences (http://www.lba.de/deutsch/lba/fachbereiche/l/l1/ll921.pdf)

for starters.

RAJAM
23rd Apr 2002, 13:53
Thanks again guys...
I read through the links and my understanding is that if you hold an Australian PPL the conversion just stipulates that you must have the total hours that are common to the German licence??
I will fill you in a little further-we had a German student here in Australia that completed his PPL licence and a week before jumping on a plane he went to a CASA office to collect his licence.
This was when he called us and emailed us very upset because he didn't have "radar" on his licence. he said that it was a requirement to convert his licence in germany when he got home. We told him to head along to the airport in Sydney to an Instructor we knew and it would take no time to hop in a plane and fly into "radar controlled airspace" and then his licence would include this which he never did. We received an email from him the morning he was jumping on his return flight to Germany telling us that we wasted his money because he had contacted the Germany IBA and they said without this which apparently is a mandatory requirement for the German PPL that his licence/ hours are worth no more than toilet tissue...
I am upset that he has this idea that we didn't do the right thing for him and have wasted his money..obviously I do care or I wouldn't be here doing my best to find out..
I'm not sure if he is just being misunderstood by them or there is some truth in what he has been told....??
Any more info would be gold!!
I cant for the life of me see where their site states anything to back up this story and their office hasn't emailed me back yet:confused: :confused: Once again THANKYOU...

FL310
23rd Apr 2002, 19:41
Don't know what this German fellow was talking, there is NO radar endorsement in Germany.
After you acquire the PPL you need some hours and than you can "upgrade" your licence with the C(ontrolled)V(isual)F(light)R(ules) rating, normally in a package including Night-VFR as well.
Special groundcourse and training as well as checkflight required.

This rating is required to follow radials, QDMs,QDRs etc in a special airspace established on top of CTRs of busy airports.

To follow VFR procedures, this CVFR is not required, as you can easily circumnavigate these areas, and it is not included in the standard PPL.

He was after something else which I still do not understand....:confused:

RAJAM
24th Apr 2002, 13:45
Thankyou FL 310.
As I thought and understood..
He did do an extra 10 hours command after his PPL test because he said he needed this to bring the command hours up to the german equivalant. Sounds to me that we covered everything..
What is he after?? Got no idea,perhaps a return ticket to Australia, after the emails he has been sending this is what I was considering as an option so my conscience could go back to sleep!!
Thankyou again and I will be emailing him to let him know what my interpretation is..hope I am right...
Kind wishes to all who helped..:) :) :)