PDA

View Full Version : JAA to FAA need help!!

SHISHKIN54
12th Feb 2013, 06:38
Good Morning to everyone.
My name is Aleksandrs Silnikovs.
I'm a pilot holding an ATPL license issued by Latvian CAA. I want to convert this license into FAA ATP license. I already contacted FlightSafety school in Farnborough, UK to help me with this, but I still have some questions, may be someone will be able to help me? i already passed FAA medical check class 1, as well i want to go to Farnborough Flight Safety to pass my Written Exam, as i understood it could been done without any permissions from FAA side? The main question is about flight and oral test. Soon I'll probably go for initial Hawker 4000 Type Raiting Training in FlightSafety in Wichita, can i combine an FAA flight test and JAA Skill Test after my simulator training? And while filling the Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification form what FAA FSDO office i should write and do i need to visit it to pick some answers from them? What if I'll go for another Type Raiting to Dubai, UAE and not to USA? Do they have permission of FAA flight and oral test? Thank you in advance...!

custardpsc
15th Feb 2013, 06:39
Alexander, there are a few things here that a bit of googling could tell you quite easily. In particular the verification letter stuff is well covered on the faa website
Airmen Certification - Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

To do this from first principles you need to review the requirements for the faa atpl in
14 CFR 61.153 - Eligibility requirements: General.

and make sure you meet them and you also need to find out if you need an endorsement from an instructor for the written, and if you need to do any flight training you will have to do TSA security clearance and get an appropriate visa as this will be your initial faa licence.

There is a lot on pprune already about this so suggest you do some searching but to get you started look here http://www.pprune.org/north-america/300434-jaa-caa-casa-icao-conversion-faa-4.html

MarkerInbound
15th Feb 2013, 09:30
The basics have been covered many times in the North American section of pprune. As the holder of a foreign ATP you can take the FAA written test without any FAA permission or instructor sign off. Since you are going to FSI Wichita, it would be best to contact them to see if they can combine the JAA and FAA check rides. They see many international students so they know the procedures. And they could tell you if you need to contact the Wichita FSDO.

Once you have the FAA certificate there is no requirement to return to the US. In the past I've know of A320 rated FAA Inspectors going to CAE in Dubui. But again, to find out what they can do currently it would be best to contact them.

SHISHKIN54
15th Feb 2013, 18:52
Thank you very much! Applied to written test in FlightSafety at Farnborough without any permission from USA side, pushing on dautless software now! contacted some inspector in Houston flight safety academy about combining flight and skill tests, he told me that he got no idea! :) now, the main thing is to pass written test and then will start to solve the problem with sim tests.. Thank you one more time!