PDA

View Full Version : FAA Aircrew Process & Questions

HongKongCargoPilot
10th Feb 2013, 20:48
Done some pretty thorough (but not thorough enough) research into the process of becoming either an observer or pilot in the RN. I am yet to head down to my local AFCO to get the lowdown, but I still can't seem to get clear on some things so I thought I'd create a post of my own:
- Seeing as tests such as the aptitude testing and so on are done at RAF Cranwell, does this mean the medical checks and requirements are the same in the RN as they are for the RAF? I've seen a couple of topics regarding eyesight but none seem to reach a conclusion (eyesight being my main concern), although my eyesight is very clear, I do currently wear glasses, so if anyone knows for sure what the situation is then I can be sure to run that by my optician.

How vicious is competition for pilot/observer jobs? I've been told that all military flying jobs are highly competitive, but I'm more concerned about eligible competition (not the people who have heard of the Navy and want to join) :rolleyes:

-How else can I improve my chances and making more of an impression? I've had some hours in sims, (Airbus and King Air) and a few flying lessons too, which I'm looking to continue, Bronze D of E, work experience and voluntary work, plus I'm in the process of applying to a gliding scholarship run by the FAAOA. Is it really worth joining the cadets?

Like I said, I do need to get down to my AFCO, but I can't get the time free until half term, so I'm making do for the moment!

Cheers guys :)

SoleilRumRation
12th Feb 2013, 10:18
HKCP

FAA Pilots need Visual Acuity 1/Colour Perception 1, which is the highest grade of vision required by the Navy. Don't let this deter you, as no applicant can know for certain whether he/she reaches the required standard until he/she has seen the optician. All applicants for the Navy have their eyesight tested early on in the recruitment process and the optician will be able to confirm whether your eyes reach the required standard. The CAs in the AFCO will give you the details you need as to which Optician you need to go to for testing.

Re the Medical, the Navy has its own standards. Something which will be different will be the anthropometric standard, as you will need to be measured to see how you fit into what the Navy wants you to fly.

Something which is looked for in the Officer Sift Interview is Leadership Potential, so consider what you would offer as examples which demonstrate that you have that to the Area Careers Liaison Officer.

The first stage for you will be the RT, the multiple choice test. This covers Literacy, Numeracy, Mechanical Comprehension and Reasoning. Each job has a score you need to reach; the one for Pilot is pretty high, so once you start the process, put your heart and soul into preparing for it as it is the gateway to the rest of the process. If you don't get the Pilot score, you won't be able to choose that job.

The Area Careers Liaison Officer has some Air Experience Flights, Gliding and Powered Flight camps and Potential Officer Air Courses on offer. Make an effort to get on some of those.

All RN Officer roles are heavily competed for and Pilot is no different. Something which happens to a fair few people is that they do well in the RT but then don't get past the Aptitude Tests at RAF Cranwell; others start off well and then are tripped up by some medical issue. By the time candidates get to the Admiralty Interview Board, they all stand an equal chance of making it; whether they are selected depends on how well they do at the AIB. You shouldn't take the attitude that the competition out there is worrying - if you want to succeed with this, you should take the attitude that you are going to give this your best shot and that you stand as good a chance as anyone else. Confidence will stand you in good stead at the AIB.