PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Flying Time Shoreham/Generally Starting Out at 27

Siyouma
10th Feb 2013, 17:47
Hello Folks,

Newbie here having spent the last 24 hours reading a hell of a lot of threads on here. I've just turned 27, realised I hate my fairly well paid office job and I'm looking to change course career wise, especially as I don't think my industry has a future past 20 years. Having read some threads on here, I'm starting to think I am insane for even considering a career in aviation but it's something I've been passionate about for a number of years and I hold a lot more hope than some regarding the future of the industry (particularly globally) than others.

I am considering taking the modular route so I can continue to work during my training and start off doing my PPL in the coming weeks. Ideally, at Shoreham as it's near my work and my flat which I have a mortgage on.

This is the course (modular) I am considering doing: Zero > Frozen ATPL - Flying Time Aviation (http://flyingtime.co.uk/en/Zero_to_Frozen_ATPL_Course)

Does anyone have any knowledge of them? The PPL seems expensive and I suspect sections of it could be done cheaper elsewhere (hour building in Florida?) so any advice for a naive newcomer to the game would be very much appreciated, whether it's about Flying Time or more generally about whether I am insane to consider this career change (will obviously take a few years).

Contact Approach
10th Feb 2013, 22:32
There is little money, security, routine or certainty in this industry. Enter it at your peril.

gordonquinn
11th Feb 2013, 07:45
I don't think my industry has a future past 20 years

I wouldn't change careers into aviation based on that, the industry is not a good way right now, and the outlook is uncertain.

However I assume this is not the main reason you want to change, and more chase a love for flying.

There is a lot to consider, remember getting an fATPL as it's referred to doesn't equal instant job, if even a job ever. There are a lot of freshly qualified pilots who cannot find work and have been looking for years.
That does not mean there are not jobs out there, but they are very rare and with p2f pilots offering to work for free, it reduces your chances further.

I say get a PPL, if you love flying I'm sure you would be happy to just fly as a hobbie and maybe in the future you could do an FI rating and teach people as a hobbie job, and you will of course be able to count that time.
Make sure you really do love flying as much as you think, going from 0 to hero in an integrated course in my opinion is madness, aside from the cost, committing to something before you really know what its all about is mental.

As for training in the states, there's a divide on that. Some say its a rip off, you get quoted low prices but they don't reflect all the costs and don't forget extra hours will most likely be needed, very few are ready on the minimum hours. However some says if you play it right, do your homework and get things sorted before you land there, you can get your training costs down.

Overall, what I'm saying is spread your training, take your time, be realistic and understand what you are up against.

FYI, I'm a newbie too in a very similar position, and have done a lot of homework on this so far. Currently I'm working away in IT while training on the side, eventually I'll get my PPL then I'll probably instruct for a while for fun and to build hours and when I think there may be some oppurtunites in the near future, I'll look at getting my ATPL, CPL and I/R.

taxistaxing
11th Feb 2013, 11:29
No particular views on Flying Time, other than to say I have flown into Shoreham a few times as a PPL. Seems a lovely airport, apart from the high landing fees!

I'm in a similar position to you, couple of years older, doing ATPL theory and to decide shortly where to do CPL/MEIR. I'm choosing between CTC Takeoff and Stapleford at the moment.

What I would say about Flying Time is they seem to be pitching their course at a similar price to OAA and CTC which, as you probably know, are the two best established UK schools, at least in terms of placing people with airlines, but without either of these schools' track records. For that reason i would think very carefully - you could do CTC Takeoff for around the same price as Flying Time's offering, and they aren't that far away from you if you're based on the South coast.

In terms of whether training is a sensible thing to do, well probably not in financial terms if you already have an established existing career. But then (if you're anything like me) money isn't what is driving you! You'll find there's a lot of frustration along the way - weather delaying lessons, having to combine work and study to get through the ATPLs etc. Definitely something to keep in mind, and you'll probably find that doing a PPL first gives you a good idea whether you a. really like flying, and b. like it enough to go through all the associated aggro to try and turn professional, or just want to remain a private pilot.

I've started making contacts in the industry and they generally say "go for it", but without burning any bridges with your existing career.