PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate icing on every airplane?

AdamFrisch
9th Feb 2013, 08:56
Look at this hydrophobic spray on compound - it's absolutely astonishing stuff. I'm assuming, since ice is moisture, that this would simply eliminate any ice buildup on any surface, right?

Ultra Ever Dry - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IfUaKXasdD4)

doubleu-anker
9th Feb 2013, 09:23
It certainly looks promising.

Will be interested to see what comes of it for anti icing purposes.

fwjc
9th Feb 2013, 09:30
The instructions state that cleaning fluids will degrade performance. This may or may not be a problem, if it really performs as demonstrated. But it also states that high pressure water will also degrade performance. My guess is that 100mph rain will start to count as high pressure water, and any ice crystals present may start to act as light abrasives. They may not damage paint, but this is a very light layer that can be damaged by rubbing with bare skin.

Nice idea, not sure if this is the right application. Still it's worth a little more investigation. Will you be trying it out?

mad_jock
9th Feb 2013, 09:33
The problem is getting it to stay on and not erroded away.

Now coating uniform ties in it so you don't get your breakfast down them is a completely different story.

AdamFrisch
9th Feb 2013, 09:45
Well they have these spray on bottles you buy, just like any degreaser etc, that one could keep tossed in the baggage compartment. So one could just apply a coating whenever one was about to set off in inclement weather, almost like part of the preflight.

I'd love to try this stuff, but unfortunately here in California there isn't much ice to be had!

mad_jock
9th Feb 2013, 09:49
Could help on your Windshield though I would try it on a bit of perspex first though and leave it out in the sun for a year to see if it reacts.

doubleu-anker
9th Feb 2013, 09:59
One could always put a piece of rounded aluminum in the freezer, coated with this stuff. Once the core temperature was down to say -10 c, take it out and hold it under a cold water tap.:}