View Full Version : CPL verses ATPL

IMC1
8th Feb 2013, 23:07
Looking to complete an FI course at some point soon, so therefore I understand that I only need to sit the CPL writtens. Everybody is telling me to just sit the ATPL exams just in case I want to do something else at some point. Any advice please regarding the differences between the two sets of exams and how much harder is the ATPL?
I would have to complete either by distance learning as I still need to work.

Many thanks

paco
9th Feb 2013, 06:41
Just do the CPL - there's a lot of stuff you don't need in the ATPs if you are just going to instruct. It's also only 250 hours of study instead of 550.

mad_jock
9th Feb 2013, 07:41
To be honest it depends how thick you are.

If you have a engineering back ground they really arn't much hassel.

And if there is even a 1% chance that you might have to do them again in the furture do them. But have a good think if your likely to do a Ir before the time limit is up. If its not likely don't.

By doing them and wanting to keep them active your commiting your self to about 25k's worth of training in the next 3 years if you take a year to do the theory.

ShyTorque
9th Feb 2013, 07:58
Thankfully, spelling and grammar aren't required for an ATPL..... :E

mad_jock
9th Feb 2013, 09:26
Nope multiple guess only :p

RTN11
9th Feb 2013, 09:51
It's a difficult decision, as it really needs you to make a 3-5 year plan.

Right now, your mind is probably saying "instructing is all I want to do, CPL ground school is all I need" and these are something like 9 exams which you could do in maybe 6-12 months distance learning.

After a couple of years with a CPL and some time in the industry, your mind may well then be saying "cor, I'd quite like an instrument rating now to further my flying ability/career" and at that point you would have to do all 14 ATPL exams from scratch, including the full ground school course.

If you do all 14 ATPL exams from the onset, it is more work now, but if you find you don't need them later on you just let them go. The other way round would be creating a lot more work for yourself in the future if you do ever change your mind.

Remember though that you only have 3 years from the end of the month in which you passed the last ATPL exam to get BOTH a CPL and an IR. If not, the exams will not count for initial issue of either.

CATS Support
9th Feb 2013, 13:22
There are in fact 13 exams and although 250 of study is mandated it takes much longer than that.

It is 70% of the workload of an ATPL
The main topics not covered are the medium range jet (B737-400)
In some subjects this cuts a lot of hard work out
In other subjects there is little or no difference from ATPL

Our advice to a budding is FI is do the ATPL is you plan to do the IR flight within 2 years

If you have no intention of joining an airline and want lesser workload then stick to CPL

You can always add the IR later but it will mean more exams = time / money and the your CPL and IR will not equal an ATPL!

CPL NEW SYLLABUS COURSE OUTLINE There are 13 subjects to pass at EASA level.
Each stage is comprised of approximately 3 months of Distance Learning (average study time 15 hours per week), accompanied with web based training. A one week Ground School is at the end of each Stage (which comprises subject overviews and exam preparation) at our Luton Training Centre just prior to sitting each stage of EASA exams at a CAA examination centre.

Heli students undertake Full Heli courses.
UK Military Personnel - we are ELCAS approved.

There are 13 subjects covered, grouped as follows -

STAGE 1
Human Performance & Limitations
Air Law & ATC Procedures
Operational Procedures
VFR Communications
Meteorology
STAGE 2
Principles of Flight
Performance
Flight Planning
General Navigation