PDA

View Full Version : sky demon georeference plates

Pilot.Lyons
8th Feb 2013, 20:48
Hi all

I just purchased sky demon on iPad and pooleys plates due to a recent piece in pilot magazine...

Does anyone know how i can get the plates to work automatically when entering the area or is it something i need to manually do?

I have tried to simulate the flight but the plates don't open?

It may be something simple I'm missing but I'm a little disappointed now

piperarcher
8th Feb 2013, 22:00
I think you have to open them up manually by clicking on the 'plates' tab and clicking on the yellow plane symbol. I guess if it did it automatically other people would complain it was distracting everytime they flew over an airfield. I must admit if the airport was a destination airport, as opposed to en-route, then it should open up automatically, but I havent found a way to make it do that. Still, its a brilliant product in all other respects.

Pilot.Lyons
9th Feb 2013, 06:38
True......

One thing i thought would be better... For example

Welshpool has a lot of areas to not fly over... It is clearly marked on the airfield information with an image. I cant use this image i have to use The standard plate which does not show the no-fly areas.

At some airfields it would be much easier to use an image like this To ensure you will not fly over an area and cause trouble especially if you are not familiar with the airfield surroundings.

That is the impression I got from the advert in the pilot magazine which is why I just spent £205 last night buying it!

kevkdg
9th Feb 2013, 07:45
When your destination airfield name appears at the top of the screen (whether this be on ipad or GPS device) in the text format:

DEST: <airfield_name>

Just tap/touch the screen over the DEST: part of the text and the approcah plate will pop up.

This is easier and quicker (in flight) than holding your finger over the actual airfield position on the chart for a few second and waiting for the menu to appear and then selecting the 'airfield name' then 'approach info' form the menus.

doing it by using the text at the top of the screen is a one touch way to acces the airfield plate for your destination.

Pilot.Lyons
9th Feb 2013, 14:09
If anyone here has the pooleys flight guide can you look at shobdon egbs and see the "noise abatement" map....

Can sky demon show your position on this map?

wb9999
9th Feb 2013, 21:00
Pilot.Lyons, no Pooleys noise abatement procedures appear as geo-referenced for me, but bear in mind that the Pooleys geo-referenced airfield plates were only added a week ago, so you might need to wait a short while before visual approach and noise abatement procedures appear for the UK. SkyDemon are adding and improving features on a very regular basis.

Take a look at a Class D French airfield's plates for an example of the potential of SkyDemn and geo-referenced plates for visual approaches.

Pooleys don't appear to have any noise abatement procedures for Welshpool - only the airfield plate.

Pilot.Lyons
10th Feb 2013, 12:57
Wb999
Thanks for that. I actually meant to say shobdon has them on the pooleys guide.

I hope they will manage to do it as it will save a lot of hassle and will be one less thing to concern myself with when visiting airfields with a lot of no fly zones dotted all over the place

wb9999
10th Feb 2013, 17:06
Pilot.Lyons, I hope they do it also. It would be a great feature that would make things easier when flying to unfamiliar airfields.

Bobby Hart
19th Feb 2013, 13:31
Regarding Pooleys noise abatement plates, we do not have georeferencing co-ordinates to allow us to show them on the SkyDemon chart. It would be fantastic detail to have though so this is worth following up.

We are asking Pooleys if they have this information available or if they intend to make it available in the future. I will come back with a post here if I get an answer quickly.

Rob - SkyDemon team

Pilot.Lyons
19th Feb 2013, 19:46
Brill thanks rob, this feature would make sky demon untouchable in my opinion....

To be honest the advert/article in the pilot magazine was what indicated that you could navigate around noise abatement areas and thats what finally sold it to me.... £205 later And i didn't get it :(

TotalBeginner
20th Feb 2013, 07:22
It's a shame that NATS don't produce VFR approach charts like the French. The georeferenced French plates are fantastic in SkyDemon!

GCRSR
20th Feb 2013, 19:17
Rob

FYI... Runway HD have georeferenced Pooleys plates including circuits and noise abatement areas that overlay on the chart in their application.

I recall talking to the lead developer of Runway HD at one if the Sywell shows last year and he claimed they did all the work to align these plates with the GPS position themselves.

As they are a competitor to SD I guess it's unlikely they will volunteer to supply this data.

Sounds like the perfect job to outsource to an offshore team to me!

I agree with previous comments, this is a real value add especially as complying with noise driven odd shaped circuits is becoming more common, even to the point where Wycombe now insist all club planes carry a data logger so the circuit patterns flown can be checked after each flight.

Bobby Hart
21st Feb 2013, 10:46
Interesting follow up comments here, and I can confirm that a lot of the georeferencing work has to be done in-house. That said, Pooleys are definitely responsive to our requests and where we need extra co-ordinates or clarifications they are most helpful. Its great to be working with them.

Naturally I cant make any promises, but watch this space.

Pilot.Lyons: In some cases, noise sensitive areas are shown on the plates, but I fully understand your position. Getting those additional documents into SkyDemon will be an important step for us to take, and I want to take that step as soon as possible.

Pilot.Lyons
22nd Feb 2013, 19:18
Thanks rob i look forward to it.... I hope it comes sooner rather than later so my subscription doesn't need renewing first :)

Phil Histine
22nd Feb 2013, 20:21
...and now that Elstree has ditched its straight-in approaches, visitors will have to endure the bizarre ever-changing irregular circuit patterns that only students have learnt up to now. Having these circuits georeferenced within Sky Demon would be thing of wonder.

Pilot.Lyons
23rd Feb 2013, 06:44
That sort of thing is exactly my point phil, when i want to chill out and fly somewhere i don't want the hassle of not upsetting this farmer or being told off by perfect pilots if i accidentally passed a set of houses that don't like planes flying overhead when they live by an airfield!

I just fly somewhere else instead... The only thing is now days there seems to be more noise abatement areas popping up all the time

Ever complaining british public

Erm....... This means in complaining just like british public doh!:o