View Full Version : Flt Lt Bill Auckland 20 (R) Sqn

Al R
8th Feb 2013, 17:41
I have found a few nice shots of Bill taken as we organised the Wittering moped mayhem a decade or so ago, and presented a rather nice cheque to the local air ambulance afterwards. If anyone knew Bill and would like them, or perhaps is in touch still with his family and would like to be able to pass them on, can you get in touch and I'll gladly drop them in the post to you.

WalterEgo
8th Feb 2013, 21:02
Al R

Is this the same Flt Lt Auckland that is buried in Easton?

Al R
8th Feb 2013, 22:44
Yes, it is.

spoff
9th Feb 2013, 07:00
Top bloke-as was his Big brother.

Dammed shame..

MSOCS
9th Feb 2013, 11:05
The most moving funeral I've ever been to - the respect, admiration and emotion from his Harrier (and other) friends and family was incredible. An amazing instructor, pilot and mentor who shall never be forgotten.

Brian 48nav
9th Feb 2013, 11:07
My son was on the same IOT, JP and Hawk course as Bill and they remained great friends until his sad demise.

I will ask him if he is still in touch with his widow or parents; I know he would be very keen for any mementoes to be offered to them.

Al R
9th Feb 2013, 12:10
Thanks Brian, and replied.

MSOCS

Didn't Bill pass his selection for the Reds before he was grounded? Yes, Easton was a very moving and sombre place that day - and justifiably so, Bill was one of the good guys.

Stitchbitch
9th Feb 2013, 17:57
You gents aren't referring to 'Oz' who was a top bloke and on 3 Sqn in the late 90's? If so, bugger. Double bugger.:sad:

MrBernoulli
10th Feb 2013, 02:45
Stitchbitch, I don't recall Bill ever being called 'Oz', so you may be mistaken, but I can't be sure.

I first met Bill when he was a BFT stude at 7 FTS, RAF Church Fenton in 1989. His course were a lively lot - SW, JP, NC and co! I then met him again briefly when I was doing my CFS course at RAF Scampton in 1994 - had he just done the CFS groundschool? I can't recall. I must admit to being stunned when I later heard of his passing .....

Brian 48nav
10th Feb 2013, 09:31
I told the sprog that he ought to take things more seriously, especially after his valiant attempt to fail IOT.:=

SW's Dad;)

PS They were a good bunch and S often brought them back to our place. S was a pall-bearer at Bill's funeral, which apparently he (Bill) had written the op' order for. Great guy.

Maxibon
10th Feb 2013, 13:51
I was on 38 cse at CF behind Bill and only found out about this last year; what a shock, a really nice guy.

A2QFI
10th Feb 2013, 15:02
The only "Oz" I knew in the Harrier world was Oz Hatton-Ward; alive and well, still flying and based in Oz(!) with his family. I think may be working in Sordid Arabia.

MrBernoulli
10th Feb 2013, 17:41
Brian 48nav, I see! ;)

I did see S on various further occasions during my years in the RAF. One memorable one was at RAF Swinderby in early 1993, where all the Squadron Standard Bearers congregated for the parade rehearsals for the 'big do' that would be held later at (a very wet) RAF Marham.

I, along with several other chaps, was quartered in the same barrack room as S, and with Swinderby still being a recruit basic-training station, we were all a bit surprised to be subjected to the rather loud 06:00 reveille call, via an in-room tannoy. You will have to ask S what his answer was to that particular annoyance - it garnered a round of applause from the rest of us, and we all went back to sleep for another hour or so, LOL! :ok:

WalterEgo
10th Feb 2013, 19:36
Al R

If no luck with someone who knows the family, I am close by and visit the grave regularly to check condition etc. Happy to leave a contact request to enable passing on of photographs.

Al R
11th Feb 2013, 08:36
Walter,

Thats very kind of you; I have just responded by PM to someone who is also in touch with Bill's family. I'll post the pics on here for those who would like to see them and be reminded of Bill - when I work out how to do it!

blimey
23rd Feb 2018, 22:51
I was pointing a beer in the direction of Somerset for Mike this evening, when I thought of Bill.

To the Auckland boys.

Sometimes life's very unfair.

ExAdvert
26th Feb 2018, 22:14
Bill was my "primary" QFI at Valley & a great instructor....even when faced with a distinctly average stude like me. I will never forget the 2 minutes silence we observed at 11.00 on Remembrance Day, high over Wales on a beautiful November morning.

Blue skies Bill.