PDA

View Full Version : The Longer Term

Chris the Robot
7th Feb 2013, 19:04
Whilst I see a lot of speculation about pilot jobs in the future in the Wannabes section, I haven't seen many Wannabes openly discuss the potential effects of Peak Oil. Is it worth considering, particularly since there were quite a few dramatic increases in the "reserves" of OPEC nations in the 1980's?

I suppose the best solution would be to start a career which is not linked to aviation then move since this could increase the odds of someone holding a job should a "black swan" like Peak Oil impact aviation.

I don't want to panic monger but I think it could be a useful point of discussion for potential future pilots.

POS_INT
7th Feb 2013, 19:39
Good Point, the world will eventually run out of oil. but if it was a mjor concern for the near future then it would be more wide spead publicised :ok:

Groundloop
8th Feb 2013, 07:39
Oil will be around for a very long time yet. There are still vast amounts not yet discovered, eg:-

$20 trillion shale oil find surrounding Coober Pedy 'can fuel Australia' | adelaidenow (http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/trillion-shale-oil-find-surrounding-coober-pedy-can-fuel-australia/story-e6frea83-1226560401043)

However, new finds will be much more expensive to exploit as the oil is much more difficult to get at.