PDA

View Full Version : A Wonderful Sunday

dmussen
7th Feb 2013, 13:33
For me the memory is far away and long ago.
We had briefed and done a dummy run over Wales on the Saturday before. It was all good.
On the appointed Sunday we kitted up and jumped in the most beautiful jet I have ever flown.
U/S at start-up,Seats safe, straps off and run for a reserve. The jetblast as we ran was not as bad as one had imagined.
We were last cab of the rank and caught no.2 before the straits.
Boss Homer called every man for himself. So Yellow Two leads to Three and Four over that big long lake south of Snowden. We were not above 2500 ft.
Long one short we 'called in' the formation at the IP. The banter was pretty rich on the R.T.
I believe and truly hope we looked good to all the folk on the ground.
Then the fun began. Can one imagine 16 Gnats overfly the BBMF(Lanc and a Mk5 & Mk 19}. We relaxed all the way back to Valley.
As we were yellow section we ran and broke first with the rest of the section
following at one second intervals. I estimate we at windsock height on the run in. The ground crew applauded when we climbed out.
We had a most enjoya:*:8:8:8;)ble barby on the veranda that evening.

Davey Mussen

Per Ardua Ad Loungebar

jimgriff
7th Feb 2013, 14:47
You flew on Sundays??

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 06:32
Yes,
We didn't get paid but it was great. When you decide you want to fly you fly.
QED. Oh, the barbeque was something else.

Davey.

Per Ardua Ad Loungebar

Halton Brat
8th Feb 2013, 08:35
In the Gnat era at Valley, you could hardly blow your nose loudly on a Sunday, due to the sensitivities of the Chapel fraternity on the island of Anglesey.

As a 'rough shooter', my shotgun had to stay in its' case on the Sabbath; OK, you might think, let us partake of a modest libation in a local hostelry. Well, the pubs were closed on Sundays - we Blue jobs had access though to the usual array of Mess bars & on-station Underwater Basket Weaving Club etc bars. Those who were most affected by this bizarre rule were the tourists of course, who had no access to such venues. Oh yes, and it was a holiday destination...........

I remember my girlfriend & I being rebuked by an elderly gentleman in an Anglesey village for actually travelling in my car on the Sabbath; this would be about 1973/74.

So, dmussen, perhaps you could clarify your post with a few more details, such as how you were able to launch 16 of my beloved Gnats on the Sabbath? The Station Commander would have been buried free of charge in one of the numerous local Chapel graveyards, methinks.

HB

Wholigan
8th Feb 2013, 08:50
I'm a bit more confused by these phrases:

We didn't get paid but it was great. When you decide you want to fly you fly.

Flap62
8th Feb 2013, 09:14
The ground crew applauded when we climbed out

I definitely smell a rat!

GolfSierra
8th Feb 2013, 09:21
Rat on the BBQ?

Wander00
8th Feb 2013, 09:25
Not a Sunday, but as duty stude in the Valley tower during night flying, overheard duty instructor take complaint call from the local hospital about an aeroplane flying over and disturbing the patients -response was to the point - if he cannot get his undercarriage down soon the pilot might be joining them. End of complaint!

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 09:30
that big long lake south of Snowden

Lake Bala?

Halton Brat
8th Feb 2013, 10:03
Lake Konstanz?

HB

Stuff
8th Feb 2013, 11:55
Surely you need only consult the Aircrew Map of Britain to resolve the problem
http://www.bannedphrases.co.uk/assets/aircrew_map_of_uk.gif

Chris Kebab
8th Feb 2013, 12:44
I think he per adua'ed to the loungebar and has been there ever since:confused:

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 13:03
True story.
We were banned from several pubs. We didn't speak the lingo.
How come they did not / could not play rugby like the greats from the valleys.
Flying low flat strap on a Sunday was good. I also apparently killed about 20 sheep in the Conway valley one morning. Their Airships at MOD paid up. I was only flying as briefed-ish. I could also jump on a ferry from Holyhead in minutes
to watch Ireland play the game in Dublin and get back the same night-ish.

For any doubting Tomas' check out the aeros. comp. board outside the mess bar.
75 course Plt. Off. D.T.Mussen
Henry you might well be able to confirm given all the fun you had on 74.

Per Ardua Ad Loungebar

Davey.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 13:09
To quote John Cleese "Go for and Multiply" you pratt.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 13:14
Bala sunshine. Maybe you need a proper map.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 13:29
If one can smell a rat check out the roof space. There is no bull**** in anything I have written

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 13:42
You chaps in the tower were superb.
Saved my bacon on a few occasions.
A belated thanks to all in ATC and the Chief and his fine band of fo;k who looked after us so well. The groundcrew at Valley were superb.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 13:53
Not me,
I only ever did an inverted run over Blackpool tower the night they turned the lights on. No see no Know. I was reasonably high but moving along apace.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 14:06
Only after 17.00 my dear rude offensive chap.
Get a life.:ok

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 14:24
Two very simple little statements. Grammar looks fine. Where are you comming from.

lj101
8th Feb 2013, 14:34
Dmussen

Would you like a cuddle?

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 14:42
Drink more scrumpy and take it easy.
D.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 14:49
If you are a wonderfully rounrded lady the answer is yes. If not go far away.

eastern wiseguy
8th Feb 2013, 14:49
Who the hell is he talking to??:confused:

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 15:12
Who's Henry?

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 15:22
Still flying and a fine chap.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 15:26
This is an open forum. You work out who i am talking to.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 16:07
Valley was an MDA and weekends were always noisy with the 'missile camp' over near the sand hills full of Frightnings and Tombs. As far as an op were concerned thier Airships somewhere told us to do it and we did. We were really quiet compared to two pairs of avons in reheat at 0600 on a Sunday. A wonderful alarm clock regardless of the previous nights fun. If, per chance, there might be anyone reading this who was there do tell your story.

Davey Mussen

Per Ardua ad Astra & Any Bar

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 16:56
You know when you join a conversation in the bar and can't quite work out what important bit you missed at the beginning? Well, that's what I'm feeling now.

It did paint a great picture in my head though. Thank you, Davey:ok:.

alwayslookingup
8th Feb 2013, 17:07
Most bizarre thread/poster on Prune for a long time. I didn't get the original post (much) and was hoping some replies might enlighten me. Seems, however, that most readers are as mystified as me, still.

Halton Brat
8th Feb 2013, 17:26
Davey, please could you tell me:

How many pins did the Gnat ejection seat have? Was it:

a) 3
b) 4
c) 5

Thanks for an intriguing thread!

HB

Fantome
8th Feb 2013, 17:28
Faint shades of James Joyce at his most convoluted disjointed but altogether lateral and above all original droll and head shakingly absurd.

There must be more and more again where the foregoing came from Mr Mussen sir? (You owe it to the gallery, now that you have their attention)

And please, never feel a need again to protest your veracity. It shineth like a golden stream of . .. . . .

Were Les Mikey (Duke Elegant) still with us he'd bounce right in now with a fine wisecrack or two. Bless his memory. A man with the best of military credentials he was too.

CoffmanStarter
8th Feb 2013, 17:44
Halton Brat ... (it was a) Knob :E

Just so there can be no misinterpretation :E

Courtney Mil
8th Feb 2013, 17:51
Yes, it was a bit nobbish. Not like you, HB, but I think I understand.

I suspect we may a source of good stories here. And so much fun decoding them. I say keep it up, Davey.

lj101
8th Feb 2013, 18:13
The first Gnat to enter service with 4 FTS was XP502, joining the unit on 7th November 1962 having first flown on 24th August 1962. Retired in 1978 to instructional use as 8576M at RAF St. Athan, she was auctioned off in 2000 and acquired by Delta jets at Kemble. Subjected to a cosmetic restoration, XP502 now wears Red Arrows colours as do so many preserved Gnats (despite never flying with the team), and is now standing 'on guard' in front of the control tower harking back to the days when the Reds were based at Kemble.

Davey Mussen from EARTHISH
Posted at 3:50pm on Saturday, August 25th, 2012
Won an aeros comp. at Valley in this machine in '74 ish. what a ride.
Per Ardua Ad Loungebar.
Watch your Six.
D

He's the real deal, odds on.

Chris Kebab
8th Feb 2013, 18:41
I'm pretty sure he's the real deal - it would have been late Friday evening local time in his stated location down under when he first posted and it has the feel of a mate getting all melancholy just back from Happy Hour.

Been there myself, just need to keep away from a keyboard:ok:

Doubt we'll hear from him for a good 12 hours - hopefully he won't just delete the thread!

Dunhovrin
8th Feb 2013, 18:56
James Joyce eat yer heart out. A "stream of (barely-)consciousness" at its best...

For those of us who mock - we'll all be there in N years where:

N=55 - E*T/(3*Gp)

and:

E = Number of ejections greater than 1 else = 1
T = Tours
G = Variable - Group 1 = 1
Group 3 = 3
Group 2 = 10

Can someone check my working? More paper please.

BEagle
8th Feb 2013, 18:57
He's the real deal, odds on.

No reason to suspect to the contrary. And there've been some rather unkind posts on this thread regarding a pilot who must be 'somdel stape in age*' in 2013, nearly 40 years after his aeros competition....:=

Dmussen

Would you like a cuddle?

My lips are sealed, lj101**!!

*For oiks who don't realise, that's a Chaucerian reference.
**but if it was me.....:E

500N
8th Feb 2013, 18:59
"it would have been late Friday evening local time in his stated location down under when he first posted and it has the feel of a mate getting all melancholy just back from Happy Hour."

That's what I worked out as well.

:ok:

Halton Brat
8th Feb 2013, 19:57
I do hope that this gentleman is kosher, and if so I would be delighted to offer my most profound and profuse apologies for having doubted the veracity of his original post.

As a humble earth-bound oik, I would not wish to impugn the honour of those who Slipped the Surly Bonds etc.......

HB

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 22:46
This little darling was the last Gnat I flew in the 75 course aeros. comp.
the gear didn't come up at the first retraction attempt but on recycling all was well. The date :- 08.11.73. My logbook records my victory.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 23:02
The Folland seat had none. Simply one one safe/ arm gizmo. What is this, ground school apres the event? I loved the first item on the check list.
BUNG IN. One gave it a good thump with a left fist.

dmussen
8th Feb 2013, 23:24
Come on Beagle, cuddling, no but a handshake and man hug followed by a glass or three of Aussi red and the telling of stories, both true and embellished (never let the truth spoil a good story) would be good fun.

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 00:03
I know what you mean. Lightnings on QRA at Leuchars getting airborne in steam was a joy to behold. I now enjoy watching the Spits at Duxford every year.
When Ray Hanna was once asked which type he liked best, his F Mk 9 or the Gnat his answer was "Both". God bless his cotton socks.

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 00:35
Now I am confused. is this taking the p1ss or an attempt at flattery. Tried reading Ulysses three times and failed. I shall stick to my bible,Catch 22 by Heller.

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 01:11
Well done. (80% correct). Happy hour? Yes. Not sad at all. Just very happy memories. We were very lucky to be able to do what we did.

phil9560
9th Feb 2013, 01:12
They're an evil lot here Dave.

Fantome
9th Feb 2013, 01:56
"I am confused. is this taking the p1ss or an attempt at flattery?"

Neither. either either (an anaesthetist said "ether". A farmer said "bollocks" Ronny Barker

The difficulty some earlier posters here had with comprehension spurred the thought, methinks . I'm also thinkin' a help it is to be havin' a taste of the Kilkenny when readin' your Joyce

Catch 22 ? ab-sa-bloody-lutely! The good book? Hebrews 13.8 is where I stopped.

Not about Major Major but straight from the dear old well known typographical error Spike Milligna

"The major will see you in his dressing gown!"

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 07:28
No worries HB. I have always shot true to the best of my belief.
Were you an armourer? (dealing with all those frightful bang thingiies}
The Martin Baker Mk 4 seat had a lot of pins. Was it four or five?
The poor bastards in the back of a Victor only had chutes and as we say in
Aus. only had two chances. "Buckley's and none". Buckley got lost in the outback looking for the inland sea and died of thirst.

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 07:56
This is interesting. You picked James Joyce, what an honour. I have three books on the coffee table now.
1. Biographies of James Joyce
2. The Compulsive Spike Milligan
3. Round the Bend by Neville shute

How on earth did you work out Joyce and Milligan.
I am interested. Do tell.

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 08:10
This is a walk in the park compared to my current job. Bring it on but watch your six (low). Love a good chat.

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 08:59
Fantome
"Caw " said the crow. "Balls" said the Milligan.
The opening line of a very funny book.

Halton Brat
9th Feb 2013, 09:54
Davey, once again, heartfelt apologies. We are sometimes plagued here by bull****ters and Walter Mitty characters, and the prose style of your original post was a little confusing to some of us. You are clearly the 'real deal', and I offer you my salute.

I was a spotty boy rigger on 4FTS Gnats 1973-78, when I was elevated to the Sgt's Mess (age 23yrs, not bad going for an oik) and posted to St Mawgan. Clearly, this was an easy way to get rid of me. I really enjoyed my Gnat years, and I still have a soft spot for the pocket rocket jet. In later years, I returned to 4FTS as a tech instructor in the Ground School (Exercise Hawkeye memories, anyone?).

I'm sure that many here would like to hear more of your career in aviation - would you perhaps grace us with same?

Best regards,

HB

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 16:06
I thank you for your kind words. I return your sal.....ute at five paces. I liked signing the 700 and getting out of ops to find my "Pocket Rocket". No saluting on the flight line, just good honest work.
Sgt. at 23. Well done and then Nimrods at St. Mawgan. I recall the surf being fun down the road at Newquay.
OK folks, ..Quiz time.
1. Who knows the fastest way to solve a wet start problem with the little Gnat?
A hint- we still sat strapped in and the A/C was quite light and very well balanced by Petter (Canberra, Lightning and Gnat designer).
2. Where was the LOX bottle located?
3. Did anyone ever truly ever understand unlocking the elevators given a HYD. failure. Scary ****.

As to the rest of my fun in the service it was down hill.
If I am brave enough I may relate the story later.

Everyone take care and keep yourselves safe.

Davey Mussen

Per Ardua Ad Astra et al.

fantom
9th Feb 2013, 16:20
3. Did anyone ever truly ever understand unlocking the elevators given a HYD. failure. Scary ****.

Yes, but the original design left the tail in a less-than ideal position. Hence Mod 11?9 which allowed electrical motoring to the ideal sector.

Easy.

Lingo Dan
9th Feb 2013, 16:53
Slightly OT, perhaps, but a good fix for a wet start on a Wessex was a bucket of water down the intakes.

I recall a demonstration of a "Hangar Start" (to be done when wind was >55kt, IIRC) in the Gaydon Hangar (?), when the beast failed to start. The crewman caused some consternation amongst the assembled "wheels" when he threw a fire bucket of water into the engine.

Job done; all burning and turning in 3 minutes!!

Never did get to fly the Gnat; legs too long!:{

dmussen
9th Feb 2013, 17:51
I recall the green sector well. Flying the machine using a rocker switch was not much fun.
Did you ever try an overshoot in this mode and select the gear up?
I can only say I am thankful for the Gnat's power to weight ratio. Mona was the location and I can only imagine that the tourists may have thought one was showing off.
Massive pitch up with my instructor laughing and the stick on the panel. My little Irish brain said gear down and lock in the back end
in that order and then go home for a cuppa and hot buttered toast with strawberry jam. Yum Yum..

I am glad of all your responses. This gig has evoked many happy thoughts.
Come on chaps. Spill the odd bean. Tis good for you.

Stay safe,

D

Per Aurdua ad Astra and where is the Cab Sav?

BEagle
9th Feb 2013, 18:32
1. Who knows the fastest way to solve a wet start problem with the little Gnat?
A hint- we still sat strapped in and the A/C was quite light and very well balanced by Petter (Canberra, Lightning and Gnat designer).
2. Where was the LOX bottle located?

1. Remain strapped in whilst the groundcrew tip the tail down by lifting the nose. Although I never recall having had a wet Orpheus start -

2. No 'LOX bottle', it had a LOX pack. Somewhere on the RHS, if memory serves - or was that in the Bucc?

3. Yes - piece of pi$$ if you followed the STUPRECCC drill correctly. To unlock the elevators, you pulled the 'unlock' handle, counted 2 clicks, observed the white band and checked that the ELEV caption had illuminated. The full STUPRECCC drill was rather more complicated, Speed below 400/M0.85, Feel Trim to the 'ideal' sector, Unlock the elevators ('click, click, white band, ELEV), Power cock OFF, Raise the Standby Trim switch cover, Exhaust the aileron and tailplane accumulators (1½-2½° n-u TPI), Check control column response, Check Standby Trim response, operate the Changeover using the Mod 399 switches, which transferred Standby trim to the control column feel trim switches .....

You knew when your QFI had faith in you when you were allowed to fly a night Manual roller....at Mona :eek:

You did NOT select the gear up in Manual; without operative datum shift, control would have been rather difficult.

I flew the Gnat a couple of years after you did, dmussen. By then training was a lot safer and Manual certainly held no fears for me, provided it was carefully respected.

If I recall correctly, it was the fitting of the Feel Trim Position Indicator which sorted out many of the Manual issues. You had to get the TPI (not the FTPI) to the required position before hydraulics were lost as the Standby Trim could only motor the tailplane up from the failure value and if you didn't get it right you wouldn't be able to land. Elevator (not tailplane) response was very slow in Manual, so the trick was to keep the control column 'load-free / central', using Standby Trim as the primary pitch method, with the control column fine tuning the attitude with unlocked elevators. On final you selected the appropriate TPI value and pushed against it with the elevators, so that as you relaxed the pressure at touchdown you could still flare the aircraft.

Hunter and Hawk were such toys to fly, compared with the delightful G-nat!

fantom
9th Feb 2013, 19:33
Right, I'll shut up then.

Courtney Mil
9th Feb 2013, 20:34
Well. You know when I was going though pilot training I kept thinking that one day I would understand what QFIs were talking about. Not yet, Courtney. Not yet.

Oh, Q Cam, K gear.

Courtney Mil
9th Feb 2013, 20:36
without operative datum shift

Is that like dressing on the right of the left?

BEagle
9th Feb 2013, 21:24
without operative datum shift

Is that like dressing on the right of the left?

Only if you wrap a piece of bike chain around your todger and give it a 3° yank every time you sit down....:ooh:

Oh, Q Cam, K gear.

'twas Cam K and Q feel, Courtney!

Datum shift was a simple system which was nothing more than a bit of bike chain connecting part of the main undercarriage to the tailplane 'Hobson Motor' input system. As the landing gear extended, the CG move forward and the 'datum shift' chain automatically applied compensating nose-up tailplane incidence. Simple, and clever, like much of Mr Folland's finest!

Cam K varied the tailplane input value from the control column in a non-linear manner, so that the aircraft was less twitchy at small control deflexions whilst giving sufficient pitch control for landing; Q feel sensed dynamic pressure to increase stick force at high TAS. There was also a 'scissor restrictor' to prevent idiot senior officers pump-handling the control column so violently that the TPI became out of phase relative to the control column. A complete waste of time.....

All the analogue magic, cogs, springs and bits of chain of the well-loved G-nat longitudinal control system would these days be simple digital tweaks in a FBW system.

Then there was Fuse 13.....

Wholigan
9th Feb 2013, 22:24
Never did get to fly the Gnat; legs too long!

They surely weren't any longer than those of the late Roger Turnill, who was (I think) 6 ft 71/2 ins. Lovely chap and don't ask how he flew the Gnat (it certainly wouldn't be able to happen nowadays).

Courtney Mil
9th Feb 2013, 23:15
Thanks, BEags. Just something I once heard in ground school at Valley. I only had a very vague idea what it meant. An era I sadly missed.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 00:21
BEagle and Fantom,
Yippy, I love it.
BEagle did you nick your pilots notes?
Fantom prey do not go silent.
The oxygen (LOX) was indeed contained in a cryogenic sphere painted white. It was somewhere down the back.
I was amused when I did have a wet start and two ground crew did indeed put a shoulder each under the nose adopting the knees bend position and straightening up. Problem solved.
What might the OH&S tossers say to that?
keep 'em lit and stay safe.

Davey.

Per Ardua Ad Superanuation

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 00:52
Courtney,
Father once told me that ones choice of dress could be accomadated by ones tailor if he were a good one.
As for datum shift the whole gizmo was out somewhere in left field. Still it worked when one stuck to the cx. list.

Stay safe,
D.
Per Ardua Ad Lunchtime

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 01:17
bEagle et al,
I had forgotten fuse 13. It would make a great title for a story just like Catch 22.
Anyone out there ever remove fuse 13?

He He, A good way to get yourself posted to the right seat in a Victor B1a tanker. A truly frightful experience.
D.

Keep 'em lit.

BEagle
10th Feb 2013, 07:24
BEagle did you nick your pilots notes?

Nope - but I did win the groundschool prize...:8

The Reds once removed Fuse 13 and obtained very high roll rates. Normally the max aileron with gear up was 12°, limited by a protection circuit which included Fuse 13. Without the fuse, the full 15° was available, hence the astonishing formation twinkle rolls of the day!

CoffmanStarter
10th Feb 2013, 08:31
I vaguely remember watching TV programme sometime back about the Yellow Jacks ... where the pilot (might have even been Lee Jones) talked about the first time they did the Fuse 13 thing to improve the twinkle ... the banter went something like ... "we had the girls at Boscombe Down look at it for us ... but we just carried on".

BOAC
10th Feb 2013, 08:53
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/72761-gnat-roll-rate-fuse.html

fantom
10th Feb 2013, 09:13
Thanks BOAC. Yes it was Mod 399 I was thinking of.

Two more memories: remember the fire warning test? In front of your right knee, I think. My to-be brother-in-law was on the same course as I and he tested the fire sys then discharged the agent instead of cancelling the test. Poor show because it reqd eng change. After tea and biscuits with the boss, he was sent on his way and did the VERY SAME thing next trip.

I was climbing out and my man shouted 'emergency descent'. So, over on one's back, pull like anything and buffet down. In the de-brief he complimented my handling but added we could have achieved a higher rod with anything less than climb thrust, which I had left on.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 13:10
BEagle,
I know. We all knew. Not to be attempted with full slipper tanks. Something to do with inertia perhaps.
I was unaware there was a prize for ground school at Valley. It is now perfectly
clear, given your posts, that I survived in a state of blissful ignorance.
Lucky me.

Keep them all lit,

D

CoffmanStarter
10th Feb 2013, 13:24
Nice snug fit for a cockpit :ok:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6917462603_95ccb676ff_z.jpg

Was there a height restriction ... I thought that if you we're +6' then it was off to the Hunter ?

BEagle
10th Feb 2013, 13:52
That's the very non-standard cockpit of XP505, the RAE's gust research Gnat.

CoffmanStarter
10th Feb 2013, 14:00
Is this right BEagle ... Looks like the pic is from the Pilots Notes ? I would be intrigued to know what the major duffs are if you have a mo :ok:

http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com/Aug2006.JPG

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 14:08
Might you recall the fun one could have selecting a stud on the radio. If one could not count the studs by memory and moved the stick to have a look the machine could roll with considerable effect.
The G-nat was all to do with counting clicks .The go stop lever was close by the flaps. air brakes/ U/C using the same little lever. One only had to count to five. I think as one felt the clicks one was very happy. Eyes were out of the office where they,did indeed, belong.

D
Only straight and level if you lack brains.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 14:46
Looks a bit different. Anybody got a shot of the famous black and yellow bung ( Port side above the go/stop levers)?

Davey.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 15:03
What are all those strange lines top and bottom.

Never spotted those.

D

Fantome
10th Feb 2013, 15:14
How on earth did you work out Joyce and Milligan?
I am interested. Do tell.

Truth to tell I did not consciously go beyond the simple comparison of like with like, both being subtle, convoluted and arch-absurdist genii. (Especially Joyce, of course.)

Tickled tho' Davey that you happen to have samples of both
close to hand. (Tickled pink? Hug alternative?)

Spike once replied to my request for an autograph. He appeared on
TV with the Australian presenter Peter Luck. Luck said in conclusion "Well thanks for coming in Spike. What note should we end on?"

Spike sticks mug up closer to camera, pulling idiot face -

"A twenty dollar note! And send it to Spike Milligan at 393 Orange Grove Road, Woy Woy."

So I grabbed an envelope, wrote down the address, enclosed a note -

Dear Spike . .. . . . Your appeal for funds did not fall on deaf ears. Only yesterday I passed an audiogram. Please send your moniker in the enclosed SAE, then same may be stuck in battered copy of 'Puckoon'.

And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected - "Stick this in your Puck . . . Spike."

ps Another Sundee has passed here eastside, full of the pleasures of intercourse with family, friends, and a flier or two.

pps Seeing as how you are a relatively new sand-groper you might not yet have heard too many of the stories attached to the deep-seated suspicion in which eastern-staters have been held, dating back not long after the early days of settlement. Read Xavier Herbert's 'Disturbing Element' for some insights.

Pardon this digression from matters in hand. Dad used to describe the tight cockpit as needing a shoehorn to get in and a packet of salts to get out.

did the VERY SAME thing next trip.

fantom. . . .. Was this apparent tendency to fail to learn from stuff-ups in any way a genetic trait, in your experience? Or is this perhaps a bit too close to home? "WTF is that smell?"

(Bill Bailey DVDs been having a good airing at our place lately.)

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 15:34
Yes indeed, things in odd places.
I loved that tiny cockpit. Everything was a mere move of the hand away. Some machine.
D.
Anyone know where I might buy one?

Fantome
10th Feb 2013, 15:45
Yes. I do. Terms are COD.

Once upon a time there was a character in Melbourne who for years kept an Avro 707 in the backyard under the Hills Hoist.

CoffmanStarter
10th Feb 2013, 16:11
Dmussen ...

What are all those strange lines top and bottom.

Never spotted those.

Call out lines to caption boxes as per Pilot Notes :confused:

Fantome
10th Feb 2013, 16:33
WHEN IN MELBOURNE -

XJET Jet Fighter Adventure Flights (http://www.xjet.com.au/)

Courtney Mil
10th Feb 2013, 16:39
Well, a lot of posts during the Rugby - some even during the anthems. Ten demerits for all involved.

However, I'd really love to hear more about the little Gnat.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 16:55
Given my still being on this planet i do believe I have learnt from some mistakes.
I also love and nurture other mistakes which I live by.
If you have flown you may well know what it is to look at rock 30 ft. away when moving swiftly. This is a mistake I both learnt from and still nurture.
Glad to here you flicked the Milligan a 20. One of the funniest persons on this little globe.
I can imagine his reaction could well have been expected.
I note that you do not mention Joyce. A very complex chap me thinks

Rgds.,
D

Per Ardua Ad Everything

fantom
10th Feb 2013, 17:04
fantom. . . .. Was this apparent tendency to fail to learn from stuff-ups in any way a genetic trait, in your experience?

1. Should be 'up-stuffs'.

2. Have no experience of his genetix, I only know he had a very sad few years at the end.

Or is this perhaps a bit too close to home? "WTF is that smell?"

You have the advantage of me, Sir/Madam.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 17:05
Bugger,
We didn't have lines in our notes. Just grubby finger prints.
These days it is called recycling.
Davey.
Up and Away.

dmussen
10th Feb 2013, 17:10
Damn. I missed it. What was the score?

fantom
10th Feb 2013, 17:12
ENG 12 IRE 6.

Courtney Mil
10th Feb 2013, 17:27
And what a hard match. A great game.

pontifex
11th Feb 2013, 15:54
The reason that fuse 13 existed was to prevent roll/yaw divergence. The reds' twinkle rolls never went beyond 360 degrees. In the late 60s (not sure which one) the solo aeros ace also had it removed. One day, in front of a senior audience, he tried a 720 at warp factor 10 and about 50 ft. He got roll/yaw and the aircraft was, effectivelt, confetti before reaching the ground. RIP and fuse13 went back into the reds' machines.

Lyneham Lad
11th Feb 2013, 19:04
One Friday lunch time - me (a 6' 3" Sgt rigger) called into the WO's office, where he is in conflab with our EngO. Said WO announces I am to go get flying apparel and go henceforth in the back seat of a Gnat to Macrahanish, there to sort out a faux pas by a stude on landaway. The stude had managed to mix his OM15 and OX38 up and had liberally topped up the Hyd system with engine oil. Death to any and all normal hyd seals and 'O' rings, so vital to drain the system forthwith. Whilst having a vigorous discussion about the wisdom of trying to stuff my long legs into a rear cockpit, a Gnat taxied past the window. Er, what was the number of the affected kite, Sir? Xwhatever came the reply. One problem solved then, Sir - it has just taxied in...

dmussen
14th Feb 2013, 10:10
Never more than 360 even with the fuse in. We had that one drummed into us big time. Divergence was to be avoided like the Black Death.

dmussen
14th Feb 2013, 10:28
Lynham Lad,
Once was diverted there and we were briefed to pick up two boxes from a Landie with a flashing light. These boxes were collected by a chap in an 1800 Austin on the deck at Marham. This was at about 02.30. Some weeks later we were served up salmon and partridge.
Alas I fear there is no more fun to be had.

Davey.

Keep 'em lit.

BEagle
14th Feb 2013, 12:41
It wasn't unknown for many types of aircraft to visit Machrihanish on 'fish runs'.

A significant number of freshly-frozen dublin bay prawns and lobsters could be stuffed into Hunter sabrinas in poly bags....then transferred to a freezer back at home.

Except, that is, for the d***head who flew back in the summer of 1976...

...at low level. On removing the sabrina access panel, he found a warm and rather soggy poly bag full of partly cooked sea monsters....:uhoh:

A fish run I heard about was in the early 1950s when a MOTU Lancaster flew down from Kinloss to Merryfield. The resident Vampire pilots watched interestedly as the mighty beast hopped and bounced its way down the runway, before taxying back to stop by the tower. The crew door opened and a sack was handed over, then the Lanc took off and flew back to Kinloss.

The sack contained fresh (ish) Speyside salmon for the Officers' Mess Summer Ball!

Lonewolf_50
14th Feb 2013, 15:24
Just a thought on the first two pages of a seeming soliloquy.

There are two different blue buttons on this forum for "submit reply" function:

one is below the whole thread, the other is within the post itself. On a lot of forums, using the latter will tuck your reply under the post you are replying to, regardless of time tag. This leads to nested conversations.

This forum software does not seem to do that faithfully, hence I suspect that Dave replied to a number of posts with the belief that his reply to a given post would link to said posts.

I may be wrong, but I've seen different forum software handle post-reply visual presentation differently.

As to the conversation, sounds like some fun flying. :ok:

As to quotables, I like this bit from Dave:

Per Ardua Ad Everything

That's a keeper