PDA

View Full Version : C130 in Guernsey today

flyingflea
7th Feb 2013, 08:56
C130 doing circuits at Guernsey airport this morning. Short fuse (C1?) very dark paint, no visible markings, but presume RAF?
Quite unusual occurrence - we don't get many military visits.

Squadronbrat
7th Feb 2013, 09:11
It wasn't one aircraft. It was several. On the hush hush, I can tell you that we're forming an invasion force. We leave Guernsey tomorrow to take over France and raise the Union Jack.

flyingflea
7th Feb 2013, 09:17
Well whatever - we are always thankful for the landing fees

Pontius Navigator
7th Feb 2013, 09:45
You charge? That'll blow someone's budget :}

During nav training, whenever we flew the south west navex, we were always encouraged to get bearing, at least one, from the Scilly Island Homer. Probably a man and a bicycle chain but they charged by the bearing and we used it in case we lost it.

By coincidence, and I hadn't seen this, it was already mentioned on a different thread only last week:

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/506343-remember-silloth-homer.html

thowman
7th Feb 2013, 10:57
No, that was the Argentine Air Force preparing to take Guernsey to teach the pirate colonialists a lesson.,

Ken Scott
7th Feb 2013, 11:07
I was talking to one of the older brethren on the sqn the other day & he was telling a tale about the Jags at Coltishall which used to make an info call to Teeside Airport as they coasted in nearby from the North Sea, ATC then asking for their 'range & bearing' from their beacon. Some time later Colt started getting bills for 'navigation charges' & it seemed that Teeside were charging each ac in the formation a fee for the use of their beacon. All pilots were subsequently told not to pass range & bearing but to give an approximate position to foil this scheme.

thorpey
7th Feb 2013, 11:29
Do your circuits in Jersey, we don't charge the military, blooming donkeys!;)

tradewind
7th Feb 2013, 11:54
'Do your circuits in Jersey, we don't charge the military, blooming donkeys!'

Circuits in Jersey? more like a navex :)

brakedwell
7th Feb 2013, 12:14
Do your circuits in Jersey, we don't charge the military, blooming donkeys!

Correct. I enjoyed some very enjoyable weekends in Jersey during the early sixties. There were no charges for landing and parking our Anson. :ok:

November4
7th Feb 2013, 17:05
Remember a task to Jersey - collect a gorilla and bring it back to England. Said gorilla was going onto South Africa and no one would touch it in case it would show them as supporting apartheid...The RAF did not have such qualms.

smujsmith
7th Feb 2013, 17:41
Could have led to the start of "Gorilla" warfare :rolleyes: OK Message received and understood.

Union Jack
7th Feb 2013, 21:01
We leave Guernsey tomorrow to take over France and raise the Union Jack.

I can "raise" myself perfectly well, thanks all the same!:ok:

Jack

MAD Boom
7th Feb 2013, 22:14
The last time I saw a C-130 at Guernsey, I was getting off it for one of the best weeks I can remember; Battle of Britain week on the party island - amazing! Thanks for the lift guys!!

" 201 Squadron, the finest and best,
Hiq Et Ubique and .................." (sing along if you know it!)

Happy times