PDA

View Full Version : Baggage Handlers Beware....& Other Uses.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Feb 2013, 07:12
This latest little gadget could be used to catch out any baggage handlers who openly 'mistreat' our fine 'Red Dot' luggage....

I wonder if it could also be attached to an airframe in a suitable location to gauge a pilot's landing....??

I N T E R E S T I N G ......

Bad baggage handlers busted, finally? | Perth Now (http://www.perthnow.com.au/travel/holiday-ideas/bad-baggage-handlers-busted-finally/story-e6frg40c-1226572816178)

Bad baggage handlers busted, finally?

February 07, 201312:48PM

The DropTag could help identify when luggage is dropped. Picture: DropTag

CARELESS baggage handlers beware: a new device could help air travellers prove when their luggage has been mistreated.

When attached to an item of luggage or piece of equipment, the DropTag device can recognise when it's dropped or mishandled via its motion sensor.

A warning is then sent to the owner's mobile phone.

Busted!

The device, invented by UK-based company Cambridge Consultants, is adjustable.

"The device is entirely configurable," a company spokesperson said. "It's very sensitive, and can even detect ambient noise, but has adjustable thresholds – the user can decide whether they want to track general movement, catastrophic drops, or something in between."

A patent has been granted for the DropTag.

While similar devices exist already, they are often "hugely complex and expensive", according to the spokesperson.

So there....:p

MakeItHappenCaptain
7th Feb 2013, 08:47
Ever seen a baggage sorting machine at work?:E

PLovett
7th Feb 2013, 08:55
Having done some baggage handling over the past few months it is not all beer and skittles. One tries to be as careful as one can but when Bloggs & co decide to load everything including the kitchen sink they can be bleedin' hard to move carefully. :mad:

Anyway, what are they going to do about it when their phone rings and lets them know their bag has had an abrupt ending to its short flight? :E

TWT
7th Feb 2013, 09:13
Waste of money.If you assume that your bag will be dropped from a great height,and left in the rain (unavoidable mostly),and pack accordingly then you'll be happier.

avconnection
7th Feb 2013, 09:29
I thought electronic transmitters were not permitted to be used during flight? :=

My personal rule, if you can't drop it from waist height, don't bother shipping it. I've watched freight handlers drop punt fragile packages because they were pissed off at a supervisor.

The SSK
7th Feb 2013, 09:44
Reminds me of my old economics master at school, a wonderful character with a handlebar moustache. He used to tell of his time as a porter on the Great Western Railway, at the end of the summer holidays the toff kids would go back to their posh boarding schools with their iron-bound travelling trunks. The porters had a knack of tossing them into the luggage van so they landed on their corners and split open.

It’s how the bag is dropped that matters :E

kimwestt
7th Feb 2013, 10:00
Allright . . . allright. . . I've ordered you 12 dozen indicators for your flying activities.:ok:

semper idem

Ex FSO GRIFFO
7th Feb 2013, 10:36
After 'practising' for ALL of this time....Oi reckon Oi can 'grease 'most' of 'em by now.....'

Whaddya goin' to do wif a 'zero' reading..??:p

Jabawocky
7th Feb 2013, 10:57
These kids of devices ahve been on our freight items from the UK for about 12 years.

Not as fancy as that but, not new.

If you go to the USA you should see what the airlines and TSA, mostly TSA do to your baggage.

I am tempted to include some small camera's when we go again in March. :ouch:

MakeItHappenCaptain
8th Feb 2013, 05:58
Don't even start on those fcuking nazis!
They make Australian security screeners look like the most polite people you have ever met!
Some are OK, but most only got the job because the aptitude screening result came back as "complete asshole".:mad:

You usually find a leaflet in your bag notifying you that you have been screened and If anything was damaged, you have no recourse for compensation. If you're going to lock your bags, get a "TSA Approved" one that they have a master key for, otherwise, they'll cut it off just for ****s and giggles.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
8th Feb 2013, 09:52
Aye Captain,
Have seen this litle bit of paper in moi bag in the USA...thank goodness Oi didn't lock the damn thing.
They were able to open it up and inspect me 'Yesterday's U-Boats' and close it again - no probs....
:}

18-Wheeler
8th Feb 2013, 10:14
I wonder if I could set off a couple of hundred with one of my landings?
Would I get a prize?

AussieNick
8th Feb 2013, 11:20
New competition huh, who can set the most off at once? Would love to read the headlines after that one.

"Wreckless pilots triggering DropTags for fun"

Ixixly
8th Feb 2013, 11:52
"Right, I know one of those p***ks has a mobile on back there... make it a hard landing there son...and get someone up the back to listen out for the ring tone!!"