PDA

View Full Version : Kuwait Airways to privatise & replenish old fleet - article

Iver
7th Feb 2013, 00:52
Has Kuwait Airways been a good place for expats or have most migrated onwards to EK and QR? Good news for the existing crews even though not much fleet growth. Would be great to see some A350s/787-900s ordered.

See article:

Assembly approves law to privatise Kuwait Airways – Carrier to buy 20 new planes – Corporate law passed

KUWAIT: The National Assembly yesterday approved an Amiri decree calling to transform Kuwait Airways Corporation (KAC) into a shareholding company operating on a commercial basis. Twenty-nine MPs and Cabinet ministers voted for the law, nine voted against it while six lawmakers abstained. Chairman of the new Kuwait Airways Company Sami Al-Nasef told the Assembly that only 10-12 aircraft of KAC’s ageing fleet of 17 planes were operational while the rest were under “extended maintenance”.

“Initially we plan to replace the current old fleet of 17 aircraft. We look to purchase 20-21 new aircraft within the next two years, and the process will be gradual,” Nasef said, adding it was still premature to put a price on the planned purchase of aircraft, half of which will be small and the other half large. Nasef later told reporters that the new company is actively negotiating with aircraft manufacturers in order to buy new planes as early as possible.

Nasef and Communications Minister Salem Al-Othaina, who oversees the carrier, had warned that without passing the decree, the loss-making KAC will incur more losses. Othaina said that during the past four years, KAC posted a loss of KD 105 million and the airline took loans from local banks worth KD 180 million. Under the legislation, the government will pay all the losses posted by KAC because it is a totally state-owned establishment. Some MPs estimated the losses the government will pay at KD.450 million while others said the government is obliged to pay all the losses posted by KAC since 2004.

The new decree amended several key articles in a law passed in Jan 2008 to privatize KAC within three years, but the law could not be implemented because of no foreign or local investors bid to purchase the 35 percent stake of KAC under the law. Othaina said major obstacles obstructed the implementation of the law because it was issued just before the global financial crisis and that it continued to post losses. MP Safa Al-Hashem said KAC is “clinically dead” and the decree was needed to revive it, adding that it only has just KD 5 million in cash and without passing the decree, it will need to borrow more money.

Nasef said KAC has been badly affected by political disputes between the government and previous assemblies and as a result, previous assemblies refused to pass the final statements of KAC since 2004, thus preventing the government from paying its losses and forcing the company to borrow, which complicated its losses. The Assembly also passed the new corporate law which replaces the old law that was issued in the 1960s and was described as outdated.
By B Izzak, Staff Writer

jimmyg
7th Feb 2013, 02:19
An decent article of how government business is done or more aptly not done here in Kuwait.

Those of you who have the misfortune to operate in and out of the airport can see what an utter state of shambles the airport and entire system is in.

MP Safa Al-Hashem said KAC is “clinically dead”

The tragedy is that the country has the resources but not the civic pride or political system to fix this mess.

“Initially we plan to replace the current old fleet of 17 aircraft. We look to purchase 20-21 new aircraft within the next two years, and the process will be gradual,” Nasef said, adding it was still premature to put a price on the planned purchase of aircraft, half of which will be small and the other half large. Nasef later told reporters that the new company is actively negotiating with aircraft manufacturers in order to buy new planes as early as possible.

As of now no real plan has been set forth only informal discussions. Both major aircraft manufacturers are unsure of what KAC wants to accomplish with its fleet and commercial plan. Both are actively seeking answers but cannot make recommendation on an appropriate fleet without a business plan. The latest stroke genesis is to take 5 of Qatar's aging 777-200's.

I can only hope that Kuwait and KAC will get there act together. Although IMO what we can count on is more the the same inaction, corruption, waste and mismanagement for many more years to come.

Working in the Middle East comes with its inherit problems which are to be expected and have lent me to be much too cynical. The sad fact is that in Kuwait & KAC bad management and corruption are at an unprecedented disturbing high level.

millerscourt
7th Feb 2013, 07:18
Being ex KAC and GF the problems between the two are remarkably similar.Once the locals take over all the management positions things start going downhill due to infighting between different groups. Kuwait has the money where Bahrain does not so there is no excuse for them still operating old aircraft.

When I joined KAC a Palestinian was Chief Pilot and all the training Captains were British or Australian. Once the locals got their commands within a year or so they replaced the CP with a local and within the space of 3/4 years they got through at least 4 Chief Pilots due to different factions ( tribal ) within the company fighting amongst themselves. In GF's case it was fighting amongst the 4 owners, Bahrain,Qatar,Abu Dhabi and Oman.

Whilst this is going on EK quietly got started to much derision from GF and later GF fell apart as the other owners started their own Airlines and in the case of Qatar and Abu Dhabi, with money being no object. The rest is History.

I guess KAC are still alcohol free onboard which will not help their cause.In my day they had flights to New York via LHR something other airlines would no doubt love to have.

glock320
13th Feb 2013, 20:41
Hi do you think they will recruit again a320/310 crew :=:=

jojosam92
21st May 2013, 21:12
Finally the deal is done..KU buying 25 new Airbus planes-a mix of 350-900 and 320 neos..Deal worth 850 million kd..Delivery expected by 2019 and in the mean while plans to lease another 10 330's and 10 320 till the new aircrafts join the fleet and plans to remove 11 existing planes..Let's see where this takes them..The CEO expects a profit in 2 years..But i'm pretty sure ,even if new aircrafts come in ,if their services and crew attitude doesn't change,KAC will still remain a national burden

PT6Driver
12th Jun 2013, 13:35
Any info on who the current Chief Pilot is?

fantom
12th Jun 2013, 13:59
KWI is very difficult and there's a lot of truth in what's been said here.

However, four years there got me out of the hole I was in so I'm not going to slate them now.