PDA

View Full Version : VET-FEE Help Approved Providers

rodrigues
6th Feb 2013, 08:48
Hi Guys,

Is anyone able to contribute a current list of VET-fee help training providers? Is it solely RVAC in Melbourne?

Real desire to knock over an Instructor Rating and subsequent MECIR, but funding is the sole issue.

Thanks in advance.

RWY18
6th Feb 2013, 08:59
oxford down at YMMB also have Fee-Help however that is part of the university program I believe in conjunction with Swinburne.
Just be careful with FEE-Help at RVAC I have seen the prices for both their MECIR and Instructor Rating and they are not pretty.
Roughly 25k each

Progressive
6th Feb 2013, 10:14
Polytechnic West in Perth have fee help courses available including one aimed at instructor ratings.

Polytechnic West - Home (http://www.polytechnic.wa.edu.au)

Skydiveandy
6th Feb 2013, 12:26
Look at training.gov.au - Home page (http://www.training.gov.au) or follow this link

training.gov.au - Organisation / RTO search (http://training.gov.au/Search/SearchOrganisation?nrtCodeTitle=avi50510&ImplicitNrtScope=true&ImplicitNrtScope=false&IncludeUnregisteredRtosForScopeSearch=true&IncludeUnregisteredRtosForScopeSearch=false&orgSearchByScopeSubmit=Search)

Lists all of those approved for AVI50510 Instructor

Be 100% certain that this is the correct path to take.. Being the person that set up the RVAC RTO courses I am well aware of how they are structured and costed.

Like many supplying via the Vetfee Help system, it will cost you $24000 plus approx $1000 for flight test and mandatory club membership if your not already a member.

20% loan fee by the Australian Government will set you back $4800, so the total course will cost approx $30,0000

If you compare that against doing it not on Vet Fee Help and paying around $16,000 for the same thing. Yes I know, money is the issue.. Do your sums, see your bank, see your parents.. Standard interest rate of 12% may just prove to be a better option.

On a standard bank loan based on 12% interest you will pay $356 per month for 5 years at a total cost of $21,355.00. If you can afford more per month, then you will reduce the total cost.

That also gives you the power to choose the best school for you.

As one of my students has written in former posts on this very matter. $30,000 is quite steep, unless they offer you a job.. not a possibility but an actual job before outlaying or signing on the dotted line.

There are schools in Moorabbin offering at least the first 50-100 hours. Have a talk to the boys at Vortex and the Tristar, they have offered experience in the past.

If you want further information PM me

Andrew

VH-UFO
11th Feb 2013, 05:34
Gee, i wonder why people are opting for other professions other than becoming pilots?!

Jimboboy
12th Jun 2013, 12:37
I would definetly call it crystar and not tristar,choose whererever but tristar.

eskimounltd
13th Jun 2013, 00:13
FWIW, the one in South Aus is through Flight Training Adelaide, these are the most current prices that I was given a few weeks ago, I have a PDF Doc outlining the details if you wanted to have a squizz.

PPL (self funded) - $15,525

CPL – 76,373 Covered by fee help.

ATPL – 9,780 Also covered by fee help.

eskimounltd
13th Jun 2013, 00:25
I got a PDF for the costs doing through the flight school in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago, costs were are follows;

PPL (Self funded) - $15,525

CPL – 76,373 fee help

ATPL – 9,780 fee help

The Kelpie
13th Jun 2013, 08:59
This was a previous post on the Virgin Australia thread but repeated here as it is just as relevant.

As far as I know there are over a dozen flight training organisations around Australia that will put your whole flying bill on Fee Help.
What they are doing is not allowed under the rules concerning eligibility for VETFEE funding.

The following is an extract from the VETFEE providers handbook

Quote:
3.3 Eligible unit of study

An eligible VET unit of study is a unit of study undertaken as part of a VET course of study. The VET course of study must meet the course requirements for VET FEE-HELP assistance [HESA, Schedule 1A clause 45].

An entitled student can only access VET FEE-HELP assistance for VET units of study that make up the minimum requirements to be awarded the qualification. If an entitled student enrols or undertakes VET units of study that are over the minimum requirement for the course they cannot access VET FEE-HELP assistance for those units [HESA, Schedule 1A clause 45A].

Including all or part of lower level qualifications within a VET course of study cannot be used as a means of creating an entitlement to VET FEE-HELP assistance for students.

A student is not entitled to VET FEE-HELP assistance for VET units of study where the student is enrolled in a non-VET course of study, such as a certificate I, II, III or IV level course. These VET qualifications must not be subsumed into higher level courses to enable the granting of VET FEE-HELP assistance.

VET FEE-HELP assistance is only available for:

• VET courses of study: o VET diploma; o VET advanced diploma; o VET graduate certificate; and o VET graduate diploma

• VET units of study that make up the minimum requirement for the student to receive the qualification

VET FEE-HELP assistance is not available for units of study:

• where the student is doing more than is needed to receive the qualification;

• that are not a part of the diploma or above qualification; and

• that are part of a lower qualification, i.e. Certificate I, II, III or IV.

The only part of the flying that is eligible for VETFEE funding is the training specifically for the Command Instrument Rating, but not the test or CASA requirements. The Regulations and the handbook make it quite clear that all other flight training is not eligible to be funded in this way.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

The Kelpie
13th Jun 2013, 10:12
I should clarify that of all the schools investigated, only RVAC seem to be playing by the rules.

Yes prices have increased, but there is nothing in the rules to prevent this as the Government's view is that this will be dealt with by competition between providers.

As much as I resent Oxford for bringing high cost training to Australia, it sickens me even more that they will be the only ones getting away with it when the government decides to get involved.

Oxford themselves I understand are not VETFEE approved in their own right and rely on Swinburne Uni to provide this 'facility' for them. Oxford simply have a commercial agreement with Swinburne so any scandal that ensues in the future, and trust me that there will be one regarding the legality of VETFEE funding for the Cert IV Commercial Pilots Licence will be 'not their concern'. Oxford are just a company receiving an order from an educational institution - they are not concerned where the money has come from!!

Swinburne will be left very squarely holding the baby as will all the other VETFEE providers that are up to no good for their own commercial gain when the Government comes knocking for its money back.

The VET providers handbook is quite clear and this is supported by the Higher Education Support Act. Cert IV courses do not attract FEEHELP assistance, neither does lower levels of training that the VET providers are 'hiding' (and not very well) within the Diploma course.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

peterc005
13th Jun 2013, 11:10
RMIT Aviation over at Point Cook also have VET FEE-HELP.

The big difference is that RMIT have their own AOC and aircraft fleet, while Swinburne just handball students across to Oxford.

Blake Lockheed
20th Jun 2013, 17:09
Peter005c
Works for Rmit and is paid to say good things :)

He defends Rmit

I say DO NOT go to Rmit it is a trap, they will suck your money like a vampire sucks blood.
Believe me I'm a cpl holder out of there with a 94000 dollar bill I could prove it to you through pm

Jimboboy
17th Jul 2013, 04:02
at least you know that if you pay 29K to RVAC,you'll have your MECIR in your pocket within the time frame.

peterc005
17th Jul 2013, 05:17
@Blake Lockheed - I do not work for RMIT, and the only thing I am paid to write is software for banks.

My son is studying Aviation at RMIT over at Point Cook. Speaking to him and mates of his from the course I have formed an opinion that the facilities and training are quite good.

From what I have heard there may have been problems in the past with RMIT Aviation, but my impressions have been very positive. I've also visited to check the fleet and facilities and spoken with staff; my opinion is based on experience.

Last year they got a new Course Co-ordinator (Marilyn) and she seems to have made some big improvements and is very popular with students.

yep_ok_whatever
31st Aug 2013, 05:23
I have a question...I was told that if I didnt do a PPL with a particular VET FEE provider I would be unnable to take their integrated course of 150hr CPL which is covered by VET FEE.

Is this true?