PDA

View Full Version : PVR time for WSOp(Cmn)?

humpndump
5th Feb 2013, 23:00
Hello all. I'm a time served Chinook crewman looking for a greener field. Does anyone know the PVR time and if there is a chance this may change in the next 12-18 months?

Thanks

hnd

NutLoose
6th Feb 2013, 00:09
There isn't a lot of greener fields on the outside, unless you otherwise.

ALM In Waiting
6th Feb 2013, 05:47
We had a guy PVR recently and he seemed to be gone overnight. This was probably down to masses of resettlement leave though.

Sideshow Bob
6th Feb 2013, 06:44
There isn't a lot of greener fields on the outside, unless you otherwise.

Well there may be for those of us that have a grasp of the English language. ;)

Sideshow Bob
6th Feb 2013, 06:51
On a more serious note, though I was an Air Eng not a Cmn, I did manage to do a deal with the Desk Officer (same bloke) and left within weeks of a job offer.

There was couple of riders though, I had pre-warned him that I wanted to leave at short notice and I wasn't in a flying post. I always work on the premise that if you don't ask you don't get, give him a ring and talk it over with him.

Avionker
6th Feb 2013, 06:59
Sideshow Bob posted:-

Well there may be for those of us that have a grasp of the English language.

Closely followed by:-

There was couple of riders though,

Stones and glasshouses perchance? :ok:

getsometimein
6th Feb 2013, 07:31
Make sure you check in with your resettlement people before setting a date with manning.

Lots of people left with a few weeks notice recently, but could have had another couple of months paid vacation if they'd have checked!

Sideshow Bob
6th Feb 2013, 07:57
Stones and glasshouses perchance?
Forgot to put the caveat that I am from Yorkshire therefore English is a second language.

Make sure you check in with your resettlement people before setting a date with manning
Well worth doing - I had to waiver most of my Resettlement Time.

rarelyathome
6th Feb 2013, 08:41
Avioniker. Slideshow only missed an 'a' :)

NutLoose
6th Feb 2013, 09:02
1am, full of damn flu and venos, capped off with Apples damn spell checker that makes words up out of what you post.
Still does not get past the fact that there probably isn't a lot of vacancies for time served Chinook crewmen in Civi street.

Avionker
6th Feb 2013, 10:12
Slideshow only missed an 'a'

Mmm, are you sure? I would have thought that:-

There was couple of riders though,

Should actually read:-

There were a couple of riders though,

Yozzer
6th Feb 2013, 11:31
isn't a lot of vacancies for time served Chinook crewmen in Civi street.

Sometimes it is not the road ahead that is important but what is seen in the rear view mirrors instead. I wouldnt focus too much on the lack of crewmen jobs either for every time served crewmen is capable of writing a CV that will be attractive to the wider scope of industry and you soon learn that flying whilst nice, is not the be all and end all compared to a positive quality of life.

Willard Whyte
6th Feb 2013, 15:10
Still does not get past the fact that there probably isn't a lot of vacancies for time served Chinook crewmen in Civi street. Rather depends what one wants to do.

Plenty of train companies are recruiting for drivers, and they seem to like ex-military peeps. Shift work, but the pay (~£43K + overtime) & conditions (5 day weekend every 3 weeks + 30 days holiday p/a) aren't too bad. Not too much pen pushing either, unless you count filling in time sheets.

The application & joining process can take months though, and they won't give long, towards the end, for you to sort out leaving your old job.

Oh, best of all? No BULLSH*T.

Chinny Crewman
6th Feb 2013, 16:04
6 months and given the numbers in the pipeline waiting for an OCF slot this is not expected to change in the next few years. Depending on how long you have served you may be entitled to up to 3 months resettlement and terminal leave. You loose your FP immediately when your PVR is accepted and you can not rescind it once submitted.

You may be entitled to NGR which is 18 months notice with no loss of FP.

Every crewman from Odiham I know that has left in the last 2 years has walked straight into another job ranging from overseas SAR, project management in London to Captaining a small vessel ferrying workers to wind farms.

If you want to PM me we can meet for a coffee/beer to discuss further.

humpndump
6th Feb 2013, 21:49
Thanks all for your wise words, esp. WW, CC & Yozzer. Losing the flying pay will be a bitter pill to swallow. NGR is a new one on me.

hnd

NutLoose
6th Feb 2013, 23:17
I probably put that across badly, I was trying to say that a lot of big firms are now going belly up as the recession bites deep, BMI, HMV, Blockbusters, Jessops etc, and personally to walk away from a secure job at a time like this is a brave and some would say fool hardy thing to do. Either way, good luck.

The Old Fat One
7th Feb 2013, 11:00
Don't do it on a whim...your probability of finding a "better" job is not great.
How long to your immediate pension (or whatever they call it now)? Trust me, having a paid pension when you are still relatively young (even if it a small one), is a wonderful thing. So if you are halfway home, I'd suck it up.
If not, go as quickly as possible, whilst still young to climb the next career tree.
GL

minigundiplomat
7th Feb 2013, 11:27
Having PVR'd from Odiham almost 2 years ago - I wouldn't base on a decision on the advice of those still slumbering under the comfort blanket of RAF employment - unless a career in retail at Jessops or HMV was top of your to do list.

There are craploads of opportunities - but it depends how flexible you are willing to be. If you want to spend each weekend at home in Basingstoke, then you will probably be disappointed.

If you have a bit of get up and go, and are prepared to work away, or overseas then there are plenty of opportunities. The world is your oyster if you can cut the strings of expectation and realign your mindset.

The one's that will tell you the grass isn't greener are either:

1. Still in and scared of making the jump.
2. Those that expect civvy strasse to work exactly the same as the RAF.
3. Those that probably were 'sub-optimal' in work ethic when they were in.
4. Those that think the world owes them a living.
5. Those that expect to find a high flying job they can walk into within 10 miles of their home.
6. A very small percentage who are just unlucky in timing.

That said, nothing is for nothing in civvyland [my invoice for this post is in the mail] and you will work far harder..... people actually work Friday afternoons and past 16:55 from time to time.

Depends what you want; if it's a change and regaining control over your life, then the grass is greener. If you want to live in your own house, commute 10 miles, have Friday afternoons off and free gym membership.... your probably best of where you are.

There will be difficult times, but even during the difficult times [down to my last £5 at one point] I didn't regret leaving.

Al R
7th Feb 2013, 13:32
I liken my transition to leaping into an ice cold bath (well, a bath full of ice cold water). Trepidation, uncertainty, excitement.. almost like winding the clock back.

TOFO is right about the importance of the pension, especially if you have a family. You'd be amazed at how valuable even the smallest final salary payment can be when you're as young as 38/40.