PDA

View Full Version : EASA PPL 2013

hazell270
5th Feb 2013, 22:29
Hi,

I have searched this site this evening and also the CAA website to try and answer my question. However my question is still unanswered so I thought I would post on here, as there must be someone in the same situation, and maybe someone knows the answer?

Due to my day job, I am intending to attend one of these courses where you complete all the PPL theory and exams in one week as I struggle for time to self study. I have already completed 16 hours flight training (in 2011) and want to complete my training to obtain and PPL this spring/summer.

So my question is this. Say I go on one of these courses (at significant cost!) that advertises 7 subjects, and complete the 7 current PPL exams. Would a pass in these 7 subject says in March/April 2013 enable me to obtain an EASA PPL (along with required hours, training and practical exam)? Or do you need to sit the new exams?

I am reading and hearing about the introduction of 9 exams. I hope if I sit the 7, this will still be sufficient to obtain a licence?

Thanks

Whopity
5th Feb 2013, 22:37
There are no New Exams; there are supposed to be 9 subjects and 120 questions according to EASA but this is baffling the CAA who have nearly twice as many questions in the current 7 papers. All you need to worry about is passing the current exams within an 18 month period, then you will have 24 months from the completion of the last exam to obtain your EASA PPL. Sometime in that period the exams may well change, but you will be able to continue with what you have done.

G-OE
6th Feb 2013, 16:08
Whopity is completly right. However off topic...from some personal experience, i would say try to attmpt to self teach . These teach in one week cources arein my opinion not fantastic.
You have an alocation of 18 months to complete all 7 exams. This is a lot of time, just go for it. Even better, organise some ground school with an instructor., this is what i did.

There is a whisper that there will be the introduction of 9 exams, however from my research this will be simply splitting up two other existing exams (cant remember what they are). The requirement is to cover the topics, so if you do the 7 and 9 is introduced, you have covered the topics all the same.

Dont worry about the exams. And go for the license, youll love it.
Sorry for the essay.
G-OE

:ok:

hazell270
7th Feb 2013, 12:31
Thank you both for the replies. Although self study would save me a lot of money, my job and the shifts I work, along with actually setting time aside to have some kind of social time and down time make it hard for me to take that route. All work and no play etc! Thanks again.

phiggsbroadband
7th Feb 2013, 14:17
Hi Hazell, I would forget the one week intensive course untill you have read each of the Air Pilots Manuals and have a copy of LASORs.

As each of these manuals is about 440 pages I found it difficult to read them from cover to cover in less than 10 days each. They also have example questions, which if you know the subject adequately, you should be able to answer 80-100% correctly.

If you get really interested in one particular subject you can become side-tracked... I for instance made sketches of all cloud types and their heights. I also studied Navigation maybe too deeply, but now I know how to use a sextant and a chronometer to find Lattitude and Longitude, thanks to some very old Navigation Handbooks.

BillieBob
7th Feb 2013, 14:39
I hardly think LASORS will be of any help as it's been obsolete for the last 5 months.

I understand that work is currently in progress to produce 9 exams, each of either 16 or 20 questions. Since this gives a minimum of 144 and a maximum of 180 questions, it is pretty clear that the UK CAA are, yet again, ignoring EU law and making things up as they go along. The plan is (was) to introduce the new papers in March/April but, since management at the Belgrano now resembles that of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Trust, this may well slip.

G-OE
7th Feb 2013, 20:10
sketches of all cloud types and their heights. I also studied Navigation maybe too deeply It was was technical and R/T for me that i went OTT about.

Hazel, if at all possible just read through the books (in the evenings or something) , have a bit of time with an instructor and then take the exams.