View Full Version : Canada recommendations

PilotAlpha
5th Feb 2013, 22:27
Hello guys Im looking to get my CPL (integrated) license in Canada

I would like to know which one is the best school there

thank you

paco
6th Feb 2013, 05:29
try harvs air at steinbach manitoba - Harv's Air (http://www.harvsair.com)

custardpsc
9th Feb 2013, 04:00
Try Pacific Rim Aviation, pitt meadows vancouver. I did my flost rating there and liked it enough to go back there from uk two more times.

Chelton
12th Feb 2013, 12:23
Moncton Flight College is located in Moncton, NB

clunckdriver
12th Feb 2013, 12:31
Pilot Alpha, check your PMs.

Hasan7
17th Feb 2016, 00:38
I`m planning to start my training in Canada hopefully in May and I was pretty convinced with the integrated program offered in Moncton flight college, it seems like a solid college. But today I decided to email harv's air after all the positive reviews I read about them, just to get a feel of how they`re like; and I have to say I have a good feeling about them too (they even said they can help me with my first job when I'm done with the program, I understand that they cannot guarantee me a job and they made that very clear, but at least they will help).

Please let me know if you have any experience with any of the mentioned above schools. And would Moncton or St Andrews be a better place to live and enjoy your training?

Thanks in advance.

paco
17th Feb 2016, 03:13
People don't generally have experience of multiple schools, but I can personally recommend Harv's Air. Moncton have a good rep, too and the advice is usually to visit them both, but Canada is a big place and they are miles apart!

Harv's Air has a pretty good ground training program, available over the Internet. They are about an hour's drive from Winnipeg, which is a very under-rated city. You will need a vehicle. Something you might want to check out with Moncton.

Hasan7
18th Feb 2016, 11:33
Thanks Paco! you just made things a little harder for me :ugh:. Visiting both schools is not really an option for me as I live miles away from Canada, and as you know picking a school based on online research is not easy work, and wouldn't have been possible without the good people in pprune.

paco
18th Feb 2016, 12:22
The Winnipeg area gets 265 clear days a year on average, if it helps :)

Moncton is a nice town, popped in there once or twice on the firefighting gigs.

striker26
18th Feb 2016, 12:33
Hasan7 - its understandable before you make a big move you are limited to travel to each school to visit personally. Both school's you mentioned have very good reps, the school i am in Toronto is top tier as well. But i can tell you living in Toronto that we have many choices and when i got around to visiting each one my views changed drastically. Everyone has a different experience and opinion, some of the schools i had negative views on, i have friends who say its been their best experience. My advice - make a phone call and setup a session with each school, have questions ready and write their responses down. Compare them after, you'll notice which school is more open and for you just by doing that! You should also look at cost, make sure you compare some FAA programs in the US as well, Canadian winters can extend your stay for a longer time than say Florida :O Hope this helps, best of luck.

Darthkader
19th Feb 2016, 05:15
Hi, I've been studying at the Moncton Flight college for just over a year. I can tell you it's as good as it's rep. However as the guys above have said, every region has it's Pros and Cons.

For example MFC is located at an airport with a tower, so you get to build confidence talking to ATC and sharing radio time with CargoJet and AirCanada, the flip side is that some days you spend an extra 15 minutes holding short when tower has 2 heavies coming in on the approach.

The airport has a community around it with lots of accommodation within walking distance of the college, our head of admissions usually has a print out with lists of available options. On the flipside, Moncton is not the city for you if you are a party animal, You'll probably have more fun outside the cockpit in somewhere like Toronto.

The school has high safety standards, as do majority of the schools in Canada. Fair warning, winters get quite cold here (We are in Canada after all), but the summers are also awesome with nice sunny beaches and the works.

Darthkader
19th Feb 2016, 05:23
As striker26 said, look at all your options taking into consideration your after school plans. you might not be able to visit all the schools, but make some calls. a couple of minutes on the phone might give you more of a feel than exchanging emails.

Hasan7
20th Feb 2016, 01:37
Paco - helpful as always, thanks.

Striker 26th - you have a lot of good points, thank you for your response. I will call both schools by tomorrow and we'll see what happens. FAA license in Florida was my first option tbh with you, but in my country an FAA license is not useful unless it's an atpl. On the other hand any icao frozen atpl is the minimum requirement for our national airline, which is why i need to go with the integrated program instead of the modular. Besides canada is nice too (minus the wheather of course) and I'm sure that they have high standards. I could go with the JAA but I'm not a fan.

Darthkadr - fortunately for me I'm not a party animal. In fact I like to stay somewhere friendly and quite. Of course I like to enjoy my life every now and then but I'm not alcoholic so it's not an issue. Overall would you recommend the school?? Pros and cons? I appreciate your help, cheers!

Darthkader
20th Feb 2016, 03:39
I would definitely recommend the school. I've had a great time studying here, the program is quite tough though, you have to give it your 110%. The instructor's are all friendly and always ready to give explanations and clarification. Overall, if you have your mind set on MFC, then there is no reason for you not to come over.

paco
20th Feb 2016, 03:44
Of course, Canadians are God's frozen people :) Awesome place, though.

If you don't need an EASA licence I would avoid it like the plague.

Steinbach (Harv's Air) is a nice little town, and dry, as it has a Mennonite community.

Speedy_Gonzales
23rd Aug 2019, 17:59
I have been pricing up flight schools around the globe as my financial means are limited (borrowing most of it).
Getting a commercial pilots license in canada seems to be pretty cheap compared to reaching that level in europe, australia and even the USA (where i dont have the right to work anyway). From what I've read online there are lots of jobs, but some people dispute that.
I'm from ireland and jobs here seem to be fairly limited other than airlines, which is a long way off. I cant afford to get all the way to fATPL without work.
I would love a shot at working canada for a couple of years to build flight time and explore the country and they have a visa system that will allow this.
the end game would probably be to settle down back in Europe though.

Are there any europeans here that are training in canada, or did so in the past? Hows it going, any regrets or concerns?
Anyone in canada that can offer insight on the job market for someone with a fresh CPL ME / IR?
and finally anyone who has transferred their Canadian licenses to EASA, I know how it's done etc., did you find work hard to come by as you trained in a different system?

rudestuff
24th Aug 2019, 17:00
Plan to work where you are allowed to. I'm guessing that's the EU. With low hours you'll find there are more jobs there anyway. You're on the right track - Canada, US and South Africa tend to be the cheapest, but don't get a CPL. The cheapest option is PPL, hour building and IR then come back and fly your last 25-30 hours converting the IR and doing the reduced CPL course. You can do all that for under £40k.

paco
24th Aug 2019, 18:34
For that price you can do an EASA licence based in South Africa, inc accommodation etc. Talk to [email protected]

Fehzan Farooq
6th Jan 2020, 10:56
Looking at flying schools in Canada, Any advise?

Jimmy Hoffa Rocks
10th Jan 2020, 12:43
How much has it cost you to the full integrated ? PPL to CPL in Canada, with minimum flown hours ?
Please let me know integrated costs in Canada ?

What is the best University degree integrated CPL pilot program?

Could someone please recommend the best school to go integrated CPL in Canada then frozen ATPL conversion to the EASA license after?
EASA approved Canadian school to facilite the conversion process to the EASA with a CPL ?
Is there one school that works with a European partner?

If you converted your Canadian license to the European frozen ATPL ? How much ?

Thanks a lot in advance.