PDA

View Full Version : Returning to flying after Depression

KermitRulesOK
5th Feb 2013, 19:38
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light/contribute personal stories on how long it took them to get their medical back after suffering from depression.

The 'black dog' struck hard on me in June last year, the Doctor put me on 20mg of citalopram which was increased to 40mg a few weeks after. After some very difficult months, I made some life changes in September 2011 and am now reasonably happy and settled, living in a new place and in a great relationship.

I have been 'stable' for the last 4 months now and the doctor has said he wants to keep me on 30mg for the next 5-6 months, the changes in medication previously had a negative effect, so he would be reluctant to take me off them right away.

I told the CAA straight away after getting diagnosed and have my 'unfit to fly' letter.

I have a CPL and about 200 hours (ex Cabair survivor who didn't get a job like many others...). I love to fly at my local club taking family and friends up in PA28s and 152s.

This is the best help guide i've seen so far:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2499/Depression%20FC%20FN.pdf

This does seem a bit misleading because I was under the impression that Pilots could still not fly on SSRIs in the UK.

Any advice would be appreciated, I understand this can be a taboo subject.

taybird
5th Feb 2013, 22:03
I'm not a medic, firstly, so advice may be incorrect. Try talking to your AME direct for up to date info.

I have two colleagues who have been affected (is it something I said?)... One was able to return to flying duties relatively quickly but with limitations. I don't know which meds he was on. The other had to be off meds and stable for 3 months, then had to have written confirmation from the CAA that this was acceptable for medical issue. He got a Class 2 from this. I don't know if he would have got a Class 1 straight away, although I think he is planning to try for it in the future.

marioair
24th Feb 2013, 15:13
Hi

I have a Class 2 and in a similar situation. Having spoken to my AME i am inferring (though haven't asked directly) that the algorithm you posted is being followed.

Keep us posted on your outcome - I am sure there is a silent majority (shame on you all) who know someone or have been in this situation themselves.

Pace
25th Feb 2013, 16:13
Not a medic either but sure someone will pop in who is.

Was your depression caused by a life event in which case it is likely to be fairly short lived or something far deeper which means you overreact too easely to slight stimuli?

Medication is now approved but I believe you have to have been on the medication for a period of time before an approval is given.

Personally I am against medication other than in the worst extremes where people just cannot cope.

If you cannot cope then there could be a question mark over flying?
If you can cope then a question mark over drugs?

My ex was on medication for a long period of time and in some ways the drugs did more damage than good.

Her biggest turnaround was CBT not drugs.

As others have said a chat with your AME is the best route! If you are now in a stable relationship maybe look at dropping the drugs, CBT and taking up exercise?
Get back into what you love doing as soon as possible ie flying as that itself will focus you in a positive way

blue up
25th Feb 2013, 20:12
If it helps, Class 1 medical revoked when I started using Amitriptyline. I was told to not fly until 2 months off of it and also without any symptoms/problems. Seem OK but I'm fairly sure that I'd not been 100% 'right' for some time. It gave me a good chance for a 'reality check' that I'm sure has put me on a straighter path, if you see what I mean. Glad I followed the advice!
All clear and now back flying 757/767.

As mentioned, treat it like a short-term booster and try not to let it become a regular part of your life. Coming off of it gave me some weird nights with frightening dreams and muscle twitches.

marioair
27th Feb 2013, 09:06
I would recommend that you use the posts on this forum and others to take heart that you are not alone and that people do recover and get back to normal life.

I would definitely not use it for medical advice. And I would definetly not make decisions on your health based on how quickly you can get back to flying. You will know inside when you are ready to go back. Pushing yourself is a false economy in the long run.

Pace
27th Feb 2013, 13:07
I would definitely not use it for medical advice.

There are people here who are qualified to give medical advice and usually that advice will guide to a one to one with the right person for that suspected condition.

In this forum it should be made clear whether the poster making an opinion or expressing their own experience is medically qualified to do so.

Pace (non medically qualified)

Bad medicine
27th Feb 2013, 19:59
Everybody should take careful heed of the notice at the top of each and every page in this forum: Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME..

Just because somebody says or implies that they are qualified on an anonymous internet forum, doesn't necessarily mean that they are. It would be monumentally unwise to base decisions affecting your carrer/health/life solely on information gathered here.

Cheers,

BM

gingernut
27th Feb 2013, 21:42
The CAA protocol is quite encouraging.

Mental health problems are common amongst the general population, and I expect that this extrapolates to the pilot population.

Reading between the lines Kermit, you need to jump through the necessary hoops.

I hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery:)