PDA

View Full Version : Pathway to an airline

jthattil
5th Feb 2013, 16:42
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, i didn't know whether to put it here or in the spectators forum.

Anyway, hopefully i'll start training for my PPL in the US in May, and this has prompted me to start thinking of a future in aviation. From most of the posts i've read it seems the industry has been in a huge slump for the past decade, and it's not going to rebound soon, but when it does there will be a huge pilot shortage. Another factor in this is the new FAA rules for part 121 carriers where you need atleast 1500 TT.

Basically what im trying to ask is how will new recruits get an entry into regional airliners to start their careers. New entrants will need find some way to get atleast 1500 TT, and with the number of people coming for pilot training diminishing, the CFI option will not be viable. The cost of leasing an aircraft for that long is also enormous.

I'm not sure, but im guessing the entry into part 135 jobs will become super competitive for a fresh CPL. I'm contemplating the military option, and the aviation college exemption is out of the question (currently studying mech engg.).

So i'd like some input into how to land an airline job in the coming few years.

cyrilroy21
5th Feb 2013, 16:53
@jthattil

Using your location I am assuming that you hold an Indian Passport and also dont have a US green card

Unless you hold an American Citizenship or permanent residency ( aka Green Card ) you wont be allowed to work in with any of the part 121 or part 135 carriers.
None of them are willing to sponsor a foreigner to come and work there as there is no shortage of qualified American for the job

There are a few options available wherein after you get the CPL you can work as an Flight Instructor in the US but you will have to come back once the visa expires .

If you want to come back and work in India well , read this article first

Pilot job dreams crash as aviation suffers - Hindustan Times (http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/SectorsAviation/Pilot-job-dreams-crash-as-aviation-suffers/Article1-1005887.aspx)

If already have the rights to work in the US then ignore my reply

jthattil
6th Feb 2013, 07:21
@cyrilroy21
Actually, Im a US citizen, I just study and live in India.
And I'm thinking about the CFI option, but I was going through the FAA reports, and it seems the number of people earning their PPL and ratings are decreasing, so the chances of actually being able to make a living from that for a few years will be impossible.
I'm well aware of the situation in India, its very sad. But hopefully as the value of the rupee increases things will get better.
Btw, you work at Cochin Intl?

@POS_INT
I understand that's the situation now, but if the pilot shortage that everyone seems to be talking about actually happens, do you think the odds of becoming a captain on a major will increase?

POS_INT
6th Feb 2013, 08:12
Cheif pilot at my airline seems to think there will be a major hiring boom in the middle of 2014 due to retirements. however no one can predict what will happen.

but dont get to ahead ofyourself, the hiring boom will be for pilots with 500 hours on type at a minimum, but more lilkey 1500 TT and upwards.

the 200 hour commercial pilot will still need to build time.

Instructing, para drops, scenic flights, private IFR,Charter etc.

if you can do this and get your TT to around 1000 hour mark then you will possibley be considered for TP job, and then and only then will you make it in to the airlines.

anyhow look at the positives from this road. you will gain alot of situational awareness in the lesser roles, and will become a great pilot this way having coped with lots of different situation's/weather etc.

jthattil
6th Feb 2013, 09:59
Yeah, i understand that i'll need to build a lot of time in an aircraft, and that it'll take a few years of struggle. One of the CFIs i was talking to said he's doubtful the job market will ever pick up and with that he thinks the number of people who get a pilots licence will also decrease, so this will make instructing an unreliable way to gain hours, any opinions?

Secondly, do you think airlines will hire people with 500TT with the new part 121 rules coming into effect? Then they would have to pay them while they get to the 1500TT mark in order for them to start carrying passengers. And even then, they'll prefer people with turbine experience right?

After i graduate, hopefully i'll get placed in an engineering firm. I plan to work there for a few years, during that time is it possible to gain exp by doing para drops and senic flights, or is it more of a full time job. Also do people actually do these things anymore, how many hours could someone reasonably expect to get per year 300-400 maybe more?

Do charters hire fresh CPLs? And what's private IFR, does that provide you an income?

500 above
6th Feb 2013, 10:29
Secondly, do you think airlines will hire people with 500TT with the new part 121 rules coming into effect? Then they would have to pay them while they get to the 1500TT mark in order for them to start carrying passengers. And even then, they'll prefer people with turbine experience right?

Absolutely not in the USA. 1500 hrs min. I can't, however, see Europe imposing that rule. 200hrs kids buying 500hrs on the line is sadly here to stay - at least until BALPA and the IPA put a stop to it, if ever.

cyrilroy21
6th Feb 2013, 11:13
@jthattil

No I dont work at VOCI . I am a native of the city though .

Yeah, i understand that i'll need to build a lot of time in an aircraft, and that it'll take a few years of struggle. One of the CFIs i was talking to said he's doubtful the job market will ever pick up and with that he thinks the number of people who get a pilots licence will also decrease, so this will make instructing an unreliable way to gain hours, any opinions?

While its true that there are lesser number of americans willing to become pilots , the flight schools in the US are now mainly filled with foreigners .
And they continue to keep coming so there will be jobs for instructors .

I dont think any regional in the US will be allowed to hire below 1500TT once the rules come into effect .
While they do give preference for those that have turbine experience , if you read APC they are already finding it hard to fill classes so I dont think turbine experience matters at this point of time

Have a look at this flight school . They are probably the fastest way to get into the regionals
ATP Flight School: Airline Pilot Training & Pilot Career Development (http://www.atpflightschool.com)