PDA

View Full Version : Personal Weather Minimums

G-OE
5th Feb 2013, 16:10
Hi I'm interested in your personal weather minimas and this is a thread I thought I would start where we all write our personal weather minimums, couldn't find another thread like this but sorry If there is.

Layout like this:

1. Location
2. Additional qualifications ( imc etc.)
3. Min vis
4. Max wind
5. Min cloud base
6. Aircraft flown

AdamFrisch
5th Feb 2013, 19:21
For VFR it is pretty much the minimas (FAA). I certainly won't launch into 1 mile vis, but if I'm already up flying I have dealt with it on occasions. It's no fun and I try to get on the ground as soon as possible.

As for ceiling, as long as vis is good under it, I'll tolerate it down to about 700ft. But if vis is bad as well, then it's turnaround time.

Maximum crosswind I've done is gusting to 28kts and let's just say it was a "firm" arrival. That's about as much as I'd like to deal with again. In fact, it's on camera. You can see my go around and subsequent landing from 2:29.

LA to New Orleans cross country, day 3. - YouTube

The Fenland Flyer
5th Feb 2013, 19:50
A lot depends on the type of flight I'm planning, but in general wind 15 gusting 25 max, at least 1000ft cloud base and 8k plus vis. Any less and I prefer to stay on the ground. Aside from the safely reasons, I fly for the view so if I can't see anything there's not much point in being up there for me.

Pace
5th Feb 2013, 20:15
Always fly within your own and the aircraft limits .
A lot depends whether you are flying VFR or IFR and the level if your experience.
What don't I like ? I don't like icing I don't like thunderstorms and fog stops me ; ) Not wildly bothered with winds and do not like scud running low level

Pace

Pilot DAR
5th Feb 2013, 20:49
My tolerance for poor weather is very much governed by what aircraft I'm flying (I'll fly lower weather in my plane, than anyone elses 'cause I know it), and where I'm flying, which might include how far.

I have flown emergency searches close to home in my plane in 400 feet and a mile, but it was in an environment I otherwise know very well. I have flown the 150 in winds gusting over 40 kts, but again, for emergency reasons.

It's no fun being up there wishing you were not, so other than for emergency calls, I'm not!

I am very comfortable VFR in 1000 feet, and 5 miles, winds less than 20 kts in most anything I would fly, as long as it is suitable airspace for such conditions (no mountains, towers, cities etc.)

piperboy84
5th Feb 2013, 21:16
Don't really have it hard cast in distances and speed, but I certainly know e'm when I see e'm

Thought i better add, they are way above FAA minimuns

thing
7th Feb 2013, 11:06
Winds, depends what I'm flying-18 gusting 25 for the 28, gusting 20 for a 172 and I don't like the 152 more than 12 kts, I find it very skittish on the roll out with any gusts. If it's a straight and steady x wind then I might rethink but it hardly ever is.

Vis 2K at low level (2K isn't much at all when you're in it...), but as someone has already said, I fly for fun so I wouldn't go in 2k. I would take off in it to return from somewhere then either go VMC on top or plough through the clag at a reasonable level. Ceiling, depends on the local area, if it's flat and farmland 800', if it's hilly/built up then I would want a fair bit more. You have to get down from a fanstop. Landing ceiling would be 500' off a precision approach.which is the limit of my IMC rating.

gordonquinn
7th Feb 2013, 11:57
Great video AdamFrisch