PDA

View Full Version : Dead Reckoning Computers

Herc-u-lease
5th Feb 2013, 11:48
Hello All,

Does anyone have pictures of Mk4 or Mk5 dead reckoning computers they would be willing to share? It would help me out a great deal. Happy to PM if required.

With thanks

H

Stuff
5th Feb 2013, 11:59
There's any number of images of them on Google.

http://www.rekeninstrumenten.nl/pages%20and%20pictures/17421.jpg

david parry
5th Feb 2013, 16:51
Ha! Ha! RAS To TAS, where is my red chinagraph to put on the wind speed and direction;)

unclenelli
5th Feb 2013, 17:22
H-u-L
Check your PM's
I may be able to help

CoffmanStarter
5th Feb 2013, 17:28
Excuse me for asking but are CDR's still issued and are students taught how to use the good old Wiz Wheel ?

Sloppy Link
5th Feb 2013, 20:38
Probably can find one you can have, PM me. Still use the whizz wheel for time/distance and fuel calcs.

yotty
5th Feb 2013, 21:40
Come on Herc, it's "ded" as in deduced! Not dead!:eek:

barnstormer1968
5th Feb 2013, 21:43
It says dead on the pic of the actual item above :)

yotty
5th Feb 2013, 21:53
Must be right then! ;)

MAD Boom
6th Feb 2013, 07:38
Coffman,

As a Wiz-wheel fan, I'm happy to see it is still being taught on Multi Engine groundschool at Cranwell.

Courtney Mil
6th Feb 2013, 08:49
Still taught? I should say so!

http://flightcomputer.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/StarTrek-FlightComputer.jpg

CoffmanStarter
6th Feb 2013, 08:53
Well played Courtney :D:D:D:D

Not much drift at Warp Speed 8 though !

ABL262
6th Feb 2013, 08:53
Can anybody explain the differences between the Mk4, 4A, 5, 5A, etc CDRs? Also, which version is current issue for Nav training during EFTS on the Tutor and does anybody out there have one available to purchase or in return for a donation to RAFBF?

All help much appreciated.

ABL262

Courtney Mil
6th Feb 2013, 08:58
Interesting, though, that EVERYONE adopts the same facial expression when using one, Coff.

Roadster280
6th Feb 2013, 12:20
I've got a "lite" version of this on my watch. Very useful for quick currency conversions and the like. It wasn't a learning curve, more of a learning wall. Once you've climbed the wall, it's easy as pie. If you don't get the thing to begin with, it may as well be in Chinese.

99 Change Hands
6th Feb 2013, 13:49
Outstanding photo Courtney, I want to have your babies. :D

Dg800
6th Feb 2013, 14:16
Not much drift at Warp Speed 8 though !

Never underestimate the strength of those interstellar winds! :ok:

Motleycallsign
6th Feb 2013, 15:27
I hope it was a solar powered one.

Mach2
6th Feb 2013, 15:55
No, these 'dead reckoning computers' are no longer issued to EFT studes, nor are they taught how to use one - although there is still an enormous model of one (about 7 ft high!) tucked away in one of the store rooms:)

CoffmanStarter
6th Feb 2013, 16:26
Mach2 ... That's sad ... IMHO the CDR is the most visual/practical way to demonstrate the Triangle of Velocities. So how is Pilot Nav now taught to EFT studes ? :ok:

LateArmLive
6th Feb 2013, 16:35
Pilot nav is probably still taught in the same fashion at EFT, but the use of the CDR is (I would assume) not necessary in the days of aircraft with computers.

In my relatively short 15 or so years in the RAF I have never seen one of these CDRs in use, nor have I been taught how to use one at groundschool (and I've been on lots of groundschools...)

MDR is the way forward, for anything more precise you can ask Google ;)

Charlie Time
6th Feb 2013, 16:43
Still used on the fleet I fly in. Computers are great but, even with dual redundancy, can still fail. Also a great planning aid if you don't have the luxury of a reliable MPS - how else are you going to work out a complex PNR or ROA between 2 moving bases?

Tinribs
6th Feb 2013, 17:09
DR computers may be bought through any of the pilot type magazines. The civi ones such as ATRP5 are entirely plastic while the service have some metal alloy components.

The differences for the marks are; full size high and low speed for jets and helicopters. The half size version is for fast jets because it is easier to stow and less of an inteference when in use

Early models had a nice brown canvas cover which was replaced later by a tatty plastic version

Geehovah
6th Feb 2013, 17:30
I had to dust off my original 70s version to get through my PPL re qualification

The worrying thing is it all came flooding back.

Courtney Mil
6th Feb 2013, 17:33
Yes, Geehovah, but your book has proved that you have something of a memory. Remembering how to use a Dalton Comp is slightly bordering on worrying.

MightyGem
6th Feb 2013, 20:16
The half size version is for fast jets because it is easier to stow and less of an inteference when in use
I just photocopied the sliding scale and then cut it down to just fit in the computer. Good enough for pootling around at 120kts.

Herc-u-lease
7th Feb 2013, 19:02
Chaps,

Thank you for the replies, some useful stuff there. I'll be in touch shortly.

Thanks

H