PDA

View Full Version : A320 in Tailwind

config3
4th Feb 2013, 23:37
Hello to all,

I have been flying the bus for the past four years.

Recently a buddy of mine, who just started flying the bus asked me a simple question on how to the land her in a tailwind condition i.e.. what would be the correct technique. The FCOMS and the FCTM talk mostly about crosswind landings and little is given about the same.

Personally, having made enough landings in tailwinds, I have come to realise that it would be best if the thrust levers are brought back a tad bit earlier than usual. This is to bring the energy of the aircraft under control and to put down the aircraft on the tarmac at the correct spot. Whenever I have tried to come with residual power(not retarding the thrust) she always tends to float, which is unwanted.

My buddying on the other hand, who is a turboprop guy sort of disagrees to this with a valid point who says, if you kill the power early, the wind flow over the wings is reduced which results in loss of lift. Hence, it's better to keep that power in, all the way to touchdown.

WHICH ONE OF US ARE CORRECT?
Looking forward to your reply. :ok:

Slasher
5th Feb 2013, 16:36
Just land the thing as you would with any other jet transport (taking account
as to whether you're light or heavy) - power off slightly early and "check" the
ROD rather than a normal flare. Also check your body angle is correct at 50ft
- too low and you'll cock it up in Normal Law.

Your mate flies a blown wing - different technique.

And no 320 is a "she" - its a definite "it".

Meikleour
5th Feb 2013, 17:30
conf3: ask your turboprop mate to explain where he thinks that the slipstream effect on a wing with no props would come from - he then may see the error in his thinking!

cosmiccomet
6th Feb 2013, 14:45
I have a little more than 1,000 hrs in the baby bus and according to the 3. FCOM Procedures and FCTM there is no difference about the flare and power off technique for tail wind landings.

As other pilots recomend, you should pay more attention on the ROD and the point where you are going to hit the pavement.
Cutting the thrust earlier without checking the ROD and IAS could lead to a hard landing and/or tail strike.

For airline policy, we have to use Thrust Reverser with tail wind except for some specific long runways with less than 10 kts tail wind.
And Thrust Reverser means to use AUTOBRAKE in MED.

config3
8th Feb 2013, 05:53
Sorry for the late reply,

@ Slasher,

Would you be able to technically back what you said? If so, then how? I am in the same opinion as you but can't come up with a reasonably good answer to win this bet.:)

@ Meikleour

I kinda know what you are getting at, care to explain a little more?

@ Cosmiccomet

I agree, ROD and IAS are things to look out for.

Decelerating the aircraft is completely my call as the skipper. My company has left that to our judgment. Personally, MED AB is way to harsh to my liking. I wouldn't mind taking LO AB with full Rev initially and take over the breaking manually with Rev Idle when comfortable speed is reached.

Looking for a more technically/aerodynamically sound answer guys.

Meikleour
8th Feb 2013, 12:54
conf3: The variable factors that affect lift are the angle of attack (AOA) and the speed of airflow over the wing.

On a prop a/c the slipstream from increased power produces a localised increase in the airflow over part of the wing without necessarily an increase in airspeed (initially) or change in AOA.

On a jet wing any increase in lift has to come from either an increase in airspeed or an increase in AOA. Increasing thrust on a jet basically only accelerates the wing to produce more lift or compensates for more drag due to in increase in AOA.

So, to reiterate: increasing power on a prop. wing can increase the wings lift without either a change in AOA or airspeed. Do you now see the difference?

Your friend is also probably alluding to the blanking effect that some prop. types can experience when the throttles are closed for landing.

Microburst2002
8th Feb 2013, 16:11
early idle can lead to hard landing and maybe tailstrike.

In my experience, in tailwind, the 320 tends to sink on the runway during the flare. It is when you have a headwind that you can find yourself floating and floating down the TDZ. In a tailwind target speed is usually VLS plus five or even less.

Normally in tailwind landings I retard a bit later than usual because rate is typically higher and I don't feel I will arrest it quickly with pitch alone, so I fly the airplane with some thrust almost to touchdown, but I am not one of those who only retards after touchdown...

Natstrackalpha
11th Feb 2013, 09:14
Looking for a more technically/aerodynamically sound answer guys.

Yeh, don`t land in a tailwind!:E

Seriously, you know when you set up Vapp etc with 1/3rd the headwind . . .etc., etc. Well, is there not a -ve factor you could put into the equation to get a -ive number? to reduce Vapp with (not a -ive number in airpseed!!)

Also, what the hoot, the bus is going to figure out that you are landing in a tail wind, especially when you have plugged in the W/V - it`ll figure it out just at it figures out the real climb winds as opposed to the met man`s prediction.

This is usually all about ground speed, airspeed rate of descent and having a long enough runway, but it is not anymore, as the bus will land (as mentioned above) and tend to land-on firmer, quicker (earlier) rather than the tendency to float as per HWComponent.