PDA

View Full Version : NPPL - What to do next?

mapkyca
4th Feb 2013, 15:22
Hi Folks,

I've recently got my NPPL (SLMG), and have been enjoying flying around the place. Going on a few longer crosscountry flights (weather and work permitting), and have done the usual friends and family sight seeing flights that every newly qualified pilot must have done.

However, I'm really keen to continue learning and honing my skills, rather than just pootle around the sky, so I was wondering if people had any suggestions for furthering my studies?

The NPPL doesn't allow for additional ratings (IMC, Night etc), so would my best starting point be to convert my licence to the full JAA-PPL (or whatever the ESA equivalent is nowadays)?

I have a full ICAO medical (rather than a doctor's signoff), does that make any difference to what I can do on a standard NPPL?

What would you do in my situation? :)

4th Feb 2013, 22:23
With a full medical you may cross the channel

BEagle
5th Feb 2013, 06:38
With a full medical you may cross the channel

Provided that you also meet the requirements stated in NPPL Fees (http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/flying_to_France.php) .

ChrisA87
5th Feb 2013, 08:06
Did you come from a gliding background?

Last year I completed my NPPL(SLMG) and have since added the (SSEA) rating which is only a matter of differences training and gives you access to a much wider range of aircraft. I've also done a tail-wheel conversion so that later in the season with more experience I can help with aerotow operations

The process for converting to an EASA PPL seems to be shrouded in mystery at the moment, and involves a "course of instruction at a registered FTO" but with no guidelines what this course should involve!

Just go out there and have fun, what SLMG are you flying?

Personally I always try learn/practice something on each flight, even if it's just flying to strict heading/speed/altitude tolerances or speaking to a new ATS unit.

kevkdg
5th Feb 2013, 08:56
Hi,

Under the EASA Licence transition reports in CAP804 you can convert your NPPL SLMG directly to a full ICAO PPL licence with TMG restriction, and then remove the TMG restriction once you have the licence by some SEP training and skills test.

Choose from one of two obvious conversion routes:

(a) Non-ICAO 'LAPL(A) with TMG Restriction' (CAP 804 pages 494 & 495)

OR

(b) Full-ICAO 'PPL(A) TMG Only' (CAP 804 Pages 502 & 503)

You will need a Class 2 medical for the PPL or a LAPL medical for the LAPL.

Check the requirements in CAP804.

Would be the easiest route to a full ICAO PPL licence.

Sensible Flyer
5th Feb 2013, 20:01
ChrisA87 - Did you used to fly with 4C's? I think I might know you!

mapkyca
12th Feb 2013, 09:48
Thanks for your help guys! Yes, I have come from a gliding background, although not for a while. I currently fly a T61 Venture (which is older than I am, so has the real classic car feel!)

Pilotage
12th Feb 2013, 09:56
If you convert to an LAPL you can then add a night rating.

P

thing
12th Feb 2013, 14:47
Why not just go for the full fat PPL funds permitting? You already have your class II medical. Then you can do your IMC rating; I think you have until April 2014 to do it in it's current form although don't quote me on that. It's the single best rating you can get.

Apart from increasing safety (I believe only one IMC rated pilot has ever been killed due to loss of control in IMC) it also means you can get back from somewhere if the weather turns dog where otherwise you might have been looking for a hotel for the night.