PDA

View Full Version : Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse

TheBigD
4th Feb 2013, 14:52
I recently received an email from a Ppruner who shall remain anonymous. He is a non US citizen and the email started off with how to go about obtaining one's CFI in the States. I was very obliged to help until I read that the gentleman doesn't expect to get paid and he would be willing to instruct for free!!! I told him all of the reasons why he should not instruct for free, but he probably won't take my advice. WTF has this industry come to? What is wrong with wannabe's/newbie's. Not only are they willing to participate in immoral PFT or P2F schemes but now they are looking at instructing for free? So they will spend 10K to get their CFI's, instruct for FREE for a few years, then PAY 50K for some P2F program, and work for peanuts for another few years ( assuming that the the P2F airline keeps them on after the 300 or 500 hours of line training) Then what will they do, pay to upgrade to the left seat?

I can't get someone to mow my lawn for free, nor would I expect someone to do it for free. Now can you imagine someone paying you for the privilege to mow your lawn? Sounds crazy right? But we have people (who consider themselves professionals) willing to flight instruct for free, P2F, etc. I just don't get this industry any more. The sad part is it will get worse and I don't see it getting better..............Most of these kids don't see that their actions are hurting the industry as a whole.....Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry for the rant guys.

inner
4th Feb 2013, 17:59
Some will never learn. I would just look for another job. Unbelievable how many people would sell their soul. Sounds like that you could not be happy without aviation. This is indeed the bottom.

TheBigD
4th Feb 2013, 20:02
Redbull,

I hear ya. But we, as a pilot group, need to educate and explain to these guys what they are doing is wrong. We need to explain how their actions are degrading the profession, and how it will end up biting them in the long run. I just wish they would listen. The profession would be better off in the end as would their LONG and not short term career prospects. But you're right, a vast majority won't listen and it's better to just ignore them and not get worked up about it.

Squadronbrat
4th Feb 2013, 20:51
BigD

Offer him employment. Give him the W/C's to clean and the belly of aerobats to degrease. That's all he is worth. Let him work up the way most of us have.

itsamushroom
6th Feb 2013, 22:57
I'm curious, how exactly is a 20 something year old supposed to go about creating the foundations of a career as an airline pilot, since you seem to know it all?

Larscho
7th Feb 2013, 02:24
I'm curious, how exactly is a 20 something year old supposed to go about creating the foundations of a career as an airline pilot, since you seem to know it all?

To do stuff for free is certainly not the right way to do it. How can you even call it a "career" if you don't get paid to do it?

People need to realise that it is not worth everything to be up there. Do you think it is reasonable to do something for free that someone is making money out of in a commercial business?
Tow gliders if you want to do something for free!
If you want fun flying, get a PPL, buy your own aircraft and bash it around.

inner
7th Feb 2013, 05:26
Next thing P2I (pay to instruct) :ugh:

Squadronbrat
7th Feb 2013, 08:02

One word - CAREER. How can you call anything a career that you pay to do? You may as well call it a hobby. It's these same 20 something year olds that have ruined this industry by paying firstly for T/R's and now line training.

Nearly There
7th Feb 2013, 11:25
Its always someone elses fault....that attitude is just typical too.

IXUXU
7th Feb 2013, 11:51
Being agree with all this, regarding social networks campaigns and so on...but maybe somebody should made a little research about getting jobs, before start "the career"...
The situation, regarding Europe, is not from 2 days ago...

Papa_Golf
7th Feb 2013, 11:53
Why not start a campaign like this one! Home | Dead Tired (http://www.dead-tired.eu/)
Why don't send it to TVs, newspapers and to everywhere else that can bring this situation to the media?

Because this campaign is meant to protect pilots that already established their career. "Old pilots" do not give a s**t about us youngsters. They were born and raised in different world. I have close relative which is an airline captain in his 50's: at his time he was payed for training by the airline, something that we can only dream about... I don't feel like it's my fault if the western world in general is suffering a constant decline.

Very easy to talk when your already sitting in your shiny jet...:ugh:

IXUXU
7th Feb 2013, 11:59
wrong!

P2F schemes are screwing up the terms and conditions even for those "old pilots"
Actually there are already some P2F "Iwannabecaptainassoonaspossible" programs...

Larscho
7th Feb 2013, 13:29
They should not go. Get their PPL and do things slow, very slow.
It is easy to see that there are no jobs out there(for reasonable T/Cs) so why are they in such a rush?
Stay cool and get to know a few people before you do anything.

Why do you spend 100 000 euros on a career that there are no (reasonable)jobs in?
I am generally not disturbed if someone has worked a lot and saved up some money and do it in a slow modular manner so they know a little bit about it before they are at the finish line. But when people pay with money that they don't have and end up in high debts... That makes me sad.

IXUXU
7th Feb 2013, 13:51
Question: How are these new pilots going to start a career and land a first job when NO airline will hire them, due to no experience? How are they going to get this experience? This is how it is nowadays. So, their option is P2F and LT. Give me just one other way for them to go?

What about waiting until airlines asking for lower minimums, which is gonna happen if they find nobody else, and in the meanwhile, trying to find something else....yeah I know what you´re thinking....but maybe you should take a look regarding the new minimum requirements right now in US....you don´t even need the type rating...

This is what it is nowadays, cause the new pilots are willing and eager to accept such conditions.Period.

It will stop when all the pilots stop paying this kind of schemes or when the old pilots start to fight against those P2F guys in order to protect their conditions.

Squadronbrat
7th Feb 2013, 14:42
Question: How are these new pilots going to start a career and land a first job when NO airline will hire them, due to no experience? How are they going to get this experience? This is how it is nowadays. So, their option is P2F and LT. Give me just one other way for them to go?

Like I say - you can't call it a job if you pay to go to work. Just give you "one other way for them to go"? Well, you P2F can go :mad: You've ruined an industry.

I don't feel like it's my fault if the western world in general is suffering a constant decline.

Poor child. Deal with it. All the more reason not to remortgage daddies house to go play with jets.

This is how it is nowadays. So, their option is P2F and LT. Give me just one other way for them to go?

Go to Maun bush flying, instruct, work up the ladder to turboprops like the rest of us did. Theres even this:

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/506920-pilot-apprentice-jet-2-a-4.html#post7681533

We're not all Hamble cadets.

It's not our fault, but yours! You old pilots!

You will (guaranteed) get a very warm reception by any Captain if you ever make it to a jet with that attitude. That's a big if. You're not even a licence holder!

RedBullGaveMeWings

No GAZ45, but I wish I already had a flying job, no matter the aircraft type!
I am about to start PPL here in Italy and then study ATPL theory straight away - next step would be hour building.
If I'd worked for them, I wouldn't have written anything about other schools and hour building places like NCB Aviation and its likes.

Very easy to talk when your already sitting in your shiny jet...

Yes, it is. And I've worked for it, not paid for it.

I am against pay to fly, I have already decided I want to be a flight instructor at first but I don't know whether it will pay the bills or not in the long term even though I may well end up going through this sh*t in future...

Nobody earns a great living by instructing. It's not about that, it's gaining valuable experience. It's better and more honourable than P2F.

IXUXU
7th Feb 2013, 14:43
Red... yeah, you´re right, but is a kind of..
some years ago most of the american fellows were running out looking for greener pastures and now the airlines in US are facing a coming shortage...so they have 3 options, improve their crappy terms and conditions, lowering the minimum requirements until certain point cause the FAA 1500 hour rule is gonna be a fact....or stop operations and /or expansion and let the aircraft grounded.
Market law, cupcake....if you can not sell your car for 5, you will lower the price... but if you have a long queue of crazy guys offering you 10....:rolleyes:

Do you get my point?

Samju
7th Feb 2013, 14:46
Yes, I will also put blame on these old Pilots. Where were they when the retirement age for Pilots was increased to 65 from 60 , knowing fully well that this will stop all the outgo for full five years, meaning no body retired but the influx continued at at much faster pace because the reason given was severe shortage of Pilots and every one jumped in . The flying schools also mushroomed to make hay. What no body from this old lot saw that when there will be excess supply, the buyers will have the choice. They will start charging for TR and raise the bar of hours required to filter out and the flying schools exploited the scene by offering to build hours for money ( you call P2F). Think about those poor kids who at the height of demand invested hard money for their licences and had no other option but to pay to save the investment. Some may call it value addition, so that you are more marketable then the rest of the crowd. Finally one has to reap what he has sowed. The fresh kids in desperation were ready to work for peanuts and the companies found these old farts too costly. Now when they started to get the kick in their old butt, we see all these moans . There is a saying, if you can sleep while your neighbor is being robbed, don't worry, you will be next . No body that time thought of these young kids when they justified that they have to pay for their numerous grandsons and wives.
Just think who had been responsible for the mess which has started affected them. Next in line will be Capts because soon you will have P2F Capts. It is unfortunate that absence of talent will also be visible after some years as this industry is no longer attractive to bright students

TheBigD
7th Feb 2013, 14:52
I guess I should chime in here since I am the one that posted the topic.
Here goes my attempt to answer some of the questions posted:

1. Question: How are these new pilots going to start a career and land a first job when NO airline will hire them, due to no experience? How are they going to get this experience? This is how it is nowadays. So, their option is P2F and LT. Give me just one other way for them to go?

What BS entitlement attitude is that that once you get your CPL/IR you are entitled to a jet job??? Yes I understand times have changed, back in the 60's even pilots in the States were getting picked up by airlines (United comes to mind) with just a wet CPL/IR ticket. But we as pilots must be adaptable. Yes, things have changed, so let's man up and get used to that and not cry about how things were.

First of all your (f)ATP doesn't mean a thing. It's not an ATP it's just a CPL. So what can you do. How about instead of paying 50K for a type rating and line training you get your instructor certificates and instruct for a while. The jobs are out there. You may have to move, get out of your comfort zone but instructing jobs are out there. Maybe get on with a small turboprop operator. Build up some time. Those entry level jobs are there. A 737/320 gig is NOT ENTRY LEVEL.

You are not entitled to that job just because you paid 100,000 pounds for the training. With that being said, unless you come from money, why would you want to spend close to $150K (100K pounds) for training. Come to the States get your certificates for a third of the cost ($50K all the way up to Commercial/Ir and all the instructor certificates CFI, CFII, MEI) then work out here as CFI's to gain some experience. Get your FAA ATP go home study for the EASA ATP exams and do a conversion. Is that not an option? Yes instructor pay isn't that great, but you know what, it ain't that bad when you are not saddled with debt. Plus the fact that you get to work with some great people and you will learn so much more by instructing. Trust me on that one. I love how most of you guys b*tch that you don't have enough money for an FI certificate. Should have done your homework and gotten that before some useless $30K type rating that you may never get to use. Plus you know what the difference between type rated CPL/IR guys and not type rated ones with an FI is? While the type rated guys are sitting at home, the guys that got their FI certificates are still in the game , building time, flying, making contacts, etc. And if you do get furloughed, which you will in this industry, at least you have your FI to stay current and make a few extra bucks on the side while you are working as a greeter at WalMart. And some of you European pilots can correct me, but I am willing to bet that European FI's are having a much easier time finding jobs in Europe then guys with a FATPL that have, after training was completed, been sitting around for a couple of years not flying and letting their skills slowly deteriorate.

q2: Because this campaign is meant to protect pilots that already established their career. "Old pilots" do not give a s**t about us youngsters.

By the way, nice attitdue. In this game attitude is a big part of the equation and quite frankly you don't have it!!! Quite the opposite. They do care. I am not an old pilot (35 years old) but maybe to the 20 year olds I guess I may be :). We care. We have been there. This industry is brutal. For every job available there are ten times more low time guys applying.. If you are 18 or 19 years old, get a non aviation related degree. Live at home, go to a state school and do it on the cheap. In the summertime, between your years in college , work towards obtaining you PPL. See if this is a profession you would enjoy. Then after you receive your degree then commence with full time training. Why do I say to get a degree? Two reasons, if aviation doesn't work out you have another career to fall back on . And what if you lose your medical? What then?

Just take a look at the number of integrated and modular students (sorry I'm a Yank so I don't quite know the exact way things are done across the pond) that have graduated in the past 5 years. Then compare that to the number of pilot jobs available. You will see that there is way more supply and demand. Oh yeah, and the pilot shortage. Not happening. I have been hearing about that as have the other older guys for as long as I can remember. The only one that perpetuates the pilot shortage are the flight schools. We are looking out for your LONG term interests not your short term ones. Yes you P2F, go do some line training, get a few hundred hours on type and maybe hope the airline keeps you. It may or may not work out. However, you have just screwed over and back stabbed another pilot by PAYING for a seat that should be occupied by a PAID FO. In the States, all TR's are paid for by the hiring airline. That's how I got mine. The only airline that requires you get a type is Southwest. All the others (including legacy and regionals) will pay for your type. However, when you pay for your type and participate in a P2F program, we are degrading the industry. That is why the QOL and TC's in this industry are going down the tube. Airlines now they will find guys willing to participate and spend loads of money to seat in the RHS. So yes we as pilots are our own worst enemies. But guess what, another P2F guy will come along and take your spot. The natural progression (besides the military) was (for the most part) GA. Flight instruct, banner tow, traffic watch, diver driver, etc. Thats how most of us "old guys" that don't get it" did it. We were in your shoes. Secretly wishing and dreaming that we would get picked up by an airline with a wet CPL/IR. But guess what, we stopped dreaming and started working towards that goal, by getting our instructor certificates, flying sky divers around, etc... Get some experience move on to the TP game. There was a natural selection. Cause the guys that truly wanted to be pilots persevered and eventually got there. Sure it may have taken 5 or more years, but in the grand scheme of things that is nothing!!! Now that whole model has been turned upside down with these P2F /line training/MPL schemes.

EMB-145LR
9th Feb 2013, 11:18
Christ this thread makes me weep! I only qualified in 2007 and even back then things weren't this bad in terms of P2F. In fact only Ryanair and Astraeus charged for ratings. The fact is, as someone else said earlier, 737s and A320s are not entry level aircraft.

I was modular, throughout my training I kept in contact with many of those who were also doing ATPL writtens, IRs etc. out of those guys, probably around 20, I know of three, including myself that have jobs. One paid to go to Ryanair, he is now desperately trying to get out. One bought an instructors rating, instructed for about a year and by the end of the year had offers from both Eastern Airways and bmi regional. He chose bmi and is still there and the last I heard was about a year away from a command on the ERJ-145.

As for me, I networked like hell and travelled all over Europe during my hour building knocking on doors. I managed to get a job offer on a 19 seat turboprop with a small regional airline. The Chief Pilot who hired me said that he was impressed with my initiative to use my hour building wisely, flying to smaller companies and making contacts. He said he never hires people who just send in a CV or cover letter starting 'To whom it may concern' or 'Dear Sir/Madam'. He liked to see that people did their research on a company and really wanted to work there. Two days after finishing my CPL (I did my IR prior to my CPL), I was in ground school for my type rating.

After a year on the turboprop I applied via an agency for an 'exciting opportunity for low hour pilots'. The job was for a start up flying the A320. The only downside was that you had to pay way over the odds (£30k) for the rating, but it would be paid back to you over three years. I jumped at the chance, but in retrospect I realise now that the interview and 'selection' day was based purely on my ability to pay. I took out a loan, handed in my notice and started my rating. The company that I was supposed to be joining went out of business before it even started flying just as I was finishing my rating. That was four and a half years ago. Today I still have only 1 hour on the Airbus!

However, I had my turboprop experience to fall back on and was lucky to get a job 3000 miles away from home flying the same old piece of tin that I had started on at my first airline. I did that for another year and shortly after getting married I was lucky enough to get a job on the ERJ-145 in my wife's home country.

That A320 rating that I paid for has been nothing but a drain on me. I am still paying it off and I have to pay to get it renewed every three years or risk losing it under EASA. The small turboprop rating that my first company paid for for me kept me in work when the shiny jet thing didn't work out. It led me to my current shiny jet, albeit a 50 seat jet. I love the ERJ-145, it's a fantastic little aircraft. I still envy the bigger boys sometimes, but I know my turn will come, just like it did moving from the 19 seat turboprop on to the ERJ. The A320 rating which I thought would accelerate my career has been nothing but a pain. I need never have done it and I'd probably still have been able to make it to where I am today.

Today I am happy. My turn will come for the 737 or the A320 and then maybe in years to come a 777 or A380. Who knows? But enjoy the journey, that's what it's really about. I love my job. I love the 5am sunrises and flying over mountains on crisp sunny days at FL370, but it has still become a job. A job I love, but still just a job. When all is said and done I look forward to my time off, coming home to my wife and dog and spending time with family and friends.

Network, do your time, put in the hard work and in time it will happen if its meant to. I consider myself very lucky to have had a relatively easy path to where I am now. Many others have to instruct for years, and many will never even make it.

I do not know of one guy who started out in GA or Turboprops that didn't make it to where they wanted to go. I have friends at BA, Emirates and Virgin, all started at the bottom.

average-punter
9th Feb 2013, 13:13
Thank you for an excellent post. It gives us wannabees lots to think about and a lot of advice.

Armchairflyer
9th Feb 2013, 14:02
OK, let's discuss the matter seriously now. Who is to blame then???Don't hate the player, hate the game: If you think we're done with neoliberalism, think again | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/14/neoliberal-theory-economic-failure) .

Piloto2011
9th Feb 2013, 15:20
newpilot,

Networking does the trick indeed, even in Europe.

The key to finding a job is starting off at the bottom. Or find a job that gets you near those already in, i.e. cabin crew, ramp, dispatch. And once you're in and flying, keep knocking on doors to progress.

In this biz, you have to be extremely patient. And persistent. But that will pay off.

I know of people who have send in their CV to the same operator ten plus times before eventually hearing back. Are you doing this?

Just another example: there was an ad on a contractor site, where an Asian HTP operator was looking for skippers: you had to be rated. Or non-rated. Min req was 3000+ TT with a fair share of PIC and multi crew time. Once in you could either wait your time and move up to their jet fleet. Or accrue the hours needed for a certain jet operator in the sandpit. So, there you go, two operators hiring non-rated guys, which could be a path to that first elusive jet job. And I'm sure there's more out there.

Now how to get those initial 3000 TT qualifying you for an application for that TP job, you'd have to be creative.

Go to Africa, meet the people there. If you're unsuccessful in your first year around, try again the following year. Maybe keep in touch with the people already working there. Let them know no hard feelings, you'll be happy to wait until next season.

Look around your area for tug, dropping, aerial photography work. Maybe instructing? It may be hard to see for someone just coming out of flight training how this road could really lead to flying bigger planes, but it does. Ask the old hands hanging here.

The main thing is, keep flying and keep knocking on doors.

It's tough, no question. And many years will go by before finally getting to fly that jet. But if it was easy, everyone'd do it. :)

TheBigD
11th Feb 2013, 14:30
I am telling you we, as pilots, are our worst enemies. If pilots were not paying for the these P2F schemes with LCC's in Europe, airlines would bring in FO's the traditional way, which would then open up slots for new guys to take their spots in GA like glider towing, FI jobs, sky diving gigs etc. I.e. the natural progression to a FO job....Then FO pay would be better, quality of life for FO's would be better, etc, etc.

My advice to all newbies, is take your time, explore your options and save your money. Think long and hard about the pro's and con's of this career before some fast talking, cheap grinning, used car salesman, I mean, flight school rep has you mortgage your house or your parents house for flight training. REALLY do your homework regarding flight training and the costs and sacrifices associated with it.

p.s. newpilot; sending out CV's to every airline via email doesn't cut it. They throw it on a stack with all the other CV's they receive via email. Trust me you are really wasting your time doing that. The way to network is go knocking on doors. Best of luck!

p.s.2 newpilot: by the way we do not call low timers bad names. We were all low timers at one point in our careers. The one's we call bad names are the P2F guys. Big difference. I have the utmost respect, as do most professional pilots, for a low time guy building hours and experience by towing gliders, working as bush pilots, CFI's, guys flying skydivers etc. P2F guys, not so much and I'll leave it at that.......

Stick35
11th Feb 2013, 21:33
@newpilot20

You were saying that you did not into a huge debt??? That is already A LOT nowadays. This is also now your strenght.

TheBigD
11th Feb 2013, 22:19
Stick, Absolutely. New pilot you are quite ahead of the game since you are in no debt.

Go to a local flight school, make contacts there and perhaps get your CFI with that local flight school. I am sure they would bring you on as a part time CFI. So you will still be in the game, staying current, and buidling time. That's what I would do. But first visit local flights schools within an 1 to 1.5 hour driving radius from your home and if they are looking for CFI's, get your CFI rating with that school. I am sure they would employ you. Might be worth a shot.

Piloto2011
12th Feb 2013, 14:19
BigD,

Spot on.

newpilot2010,

Don't be put off. It's not an easy walk.

Do not target the airlines because it's true, virtually all of them want 500 hours, which you do not have at this stage.

The trick is, as I said before, to target GA operators at the bottom of the food chain; SEP work that is.

Start off there, do a good job, be professional right from the start, learn, have fun, make friends. While on the job you will be watched by fellow pilots and earn a reputation - good or bad. If you're hard-working and fun to hang out and have a beer with after work, doors will open.

What's your total time? 400 yet? There's an ad on LPJ.com.

Best of luck!

Pace152
12th Feb 2013, 16:13
Hey Newpilot2010,

Like piloto2011 says, don't give up, it's just that times are really hard at the moment.

Things will hopefully improve but it may'be a while yet. I don't know what you do outside of flying but if possible it's probably a good idea at the moment to focus on trying to build another career (don't put all your eggs in one basket type thing) and just keep looking for pilot jobs you could apply for in the meantime.

p.s what country do you live in where there's no local flight schools?

Callsign Kilo
12th Feb 2013, 18:54
Today my advice to a wannabee would be do what you want, but be prepared to live with the consequences. I'm sick to death of telling people to 'hold off' or informing people of the shady schemes that the airlines are using today. I believe a particular moderator of this forum had the same problem and lost interest:ugh:

The industry, in Europe anyway, is so far down on it's arse at the moment that it faces a monumental struggle to recover. A few more pay to fly or work for nothing pilots adding their shiny new CPLs or MPLs into the melting pot will make no odds. As already suggested, you can buy hours on widebodies now or even pay for a command if you have the dosh. People are still queuing round the corner for Ryanair and Easyjet, despite the fact that neither are expanding and the terms have been further reduced. People thought it was a fantastic idea to become a pilot during a global financial melt down, when airlines, training organisations and flying clubs were and still are falling by the wayside on a regular basis.

So do as you please; it doesn't matter anymore apparently. Unfortunately it seems it will take an accident where a low experienced crew causes fatalities before anything changes. You remember Colgan, right? Offering your services for zero remuneration isn't anything new anyway. There was a :mad: head at my flight school back in 2005 who took out an add in the back of Flight saying he'd work anywhere in the world for nothing. That's back when people were getting jobs!! I understand he went on to purchase a Citation rating and then one for the Airbus with hours on type. I was happy to hear that he still hasn't secured employment. Maybe there is still a little justice left in the world?

Bealzebub
13th Feb 2013, 18:27
Something you don't get in an MPL program or with a grand total of 200 hrs flight time. Look at AF447

The Captain had 11,000 hours including 1,700 on type
The 1st F/O had 6,600 hours including 2,600 on type
The 2nd F/O had 3,000 hours including 800 on type

None of them had done an MPL training programme.

I am lost as to the point you are making?

It's called experience . Look at AF447.
Sorry, I see you have now edited your post to this. With nearly 20,000 hours between them and almost half of that on the flightdeck at the inception of this series of events, the relative levels of overall experience were really quite high.

bagurxvi
16th Feb 2013, 21:48
get this industry any more. The sad part is it will get worse and I don't see it getting better..............Most of these kids don't see that their actions are hurting the industry as a whole.....Just my 2 cents worth. Sorry for the rant guys. If nobody call you to get your first chance you start to wonder what yuo can do to get it and some start to realize they must offer a lot more. When everything was fine, airline pilots thought and cared just about themself thinking that was never going to affect them and they didn't care about the others, the newbie . Unfortunately the water level rised up for everybody and the untouchable are now wet and crying like kids. Bad luck boys and girls! It was obivious this was going to affect you too. It was just a matter of time , now we are all together in an ocean of brown substance.:uhoh:

Go to Maun bush flying, instruct, work up the ladder to turboprops like the rest of us did. Theres even this:Now it is not possible anymore. There is not a lot of job and that few has been taken already from some good and lucky pilots.

So all we are in a pretty similar position. This is because any body cared about the others and now we pay all together our selfish behaviour.

Fullagas
20th Feb 2013, 07:37
Taking shortcuts (such as PFT) because you didn't do proper research on career prospects at the outset is no excuse. There are jobs out there if you're patient and creative.
I'm in the US, and there's a local rich guy who bought 2 TRs to get hired on at a jet charter operator. Citation and Falcon. He's stuck in the right seat, as he lacks the skill and attitude to command. Impatience and skill rarely go together.

Why in the world do folks take training for a job they know is top-heavy with entry-level bodies, with little hope for hiring or advancement? Other careers don't have PFT schemers. PFT didn't happen overnight, it's been around for decades. If no one used the scheme, it would die out.

I was instructing years ago and took a call from a Sabre captain looking for a FO for the next day's trip, as his FO was taken I'll. I said I'd be glad to, and asked what the pay would be. He was upset at the question, and said it was jet experience and no pay. I declined.

Not long after, I interviewed with a corporate TP chief pilot who needed a backup FO. One of the last interview questions he asked was what pay I expected for a day trip. I had a price in mind and told him. He didn't react, just finished with a couple more questions. He took me on a day trip for flight eval and paid the rate I quoted. I was hired and on a later trip, he asked me why I thought I got the job. I said it may have been my ME hours or total time. He said, 'No, it's because you had a price in mind and wouldn't work for free'.
Ever since, I've used the same standard. I've never hired someone who would lower the bar for myself and the industry by stooping to such a level.

Piloto2011
24th Feb 2013, 01:14
Those options still do exist indeed. But they won't come easy.

Newpilot, do us all a favor and stop whining. No one forced you into this.

If you have 450 hours under your belt, as you claim, look up that Africa opportunity that was recently advertised on LPJ.com. They're asking for 400 hours. Unless you haven't done so already, which I would think and hope you have, sit down, produce a one-page, no typo CV with a presentable passport size picture, and drop them your CV.

With all due respect, to someone looking for a job I shouldn't have to point out this opportunity. You should have been in for the run well before they went public.

Good luck.

poina
24th Feb 2013, 08:31
I'm retired now so I don't have a dog in this fight. I also remember what it was like trying to get my break into the airlines. Having said that, here's one big difference between my generation and the new guys/gals....Attitude

None of my peers expected to get into the pinnacle of aviation without a few years stint of instructing, s/e air taxi, m/e air taxi, flying the mail, commuters, etc. We had a grasp on our limitations and knew we were lacking something that's debated on aviation boards daily...Instrument flying skills!

And no, 200-300 hours of airline style training does not translate into 2000-3000 hours of instrument flight instruction. It only gives us more "children of the magenta line".

It's no wonder that regular line captains are p/o'ed about p2f, they are all too well aware of one little fact, it's their ATP on the line.

My advice would be, lower your expectations, realize your limitations, make flight instruction your first goal, and above all know that life just isn't fair.

j3pipercub
24th Feb 2013, 11:51
Newpilot2010,

Could you please explain how paying for a Type Rating/Line Training comes out of the 'same pocket' as a bond?

South Prince
24th Feb 2013, 11:58
Hi Poina, you couldn't be more correct. Problem is that more and more recruitment departments are going to rely on the "Magenta Generation".

JB007
24th Feb 2013, 12:55
Thank you Poina...

A post every recruit of the Wannabe Zombie Army should read and inwardly digest...

fade to grey
1st Mar 2013, 21:09
TBH,
The only way this will stop is if the potential aviators say " no way " before entering training. IE reject the industry in this format .

Yes, we used to have the self improver route.I pushed planes etc then instructed - in the UK this route is not really available anymore. There are very few small companies and only about three TP airlines to try, and even if you do end up with 20T TP time, the ways into the major airlines are barred mainly.

As for this " naive 20 year old" , I had an instructing colleague who paid for a B737 rating with British Midland in 1995 !! This is not the youngsters fault, it's been creeping in for at least 18 years. Why did he do it ? No jobs !