PDA

View Full Version : Northern Helicopters, Sweden

Schweizer300pilot
12th Mar 2010, 21:43
Hello to you all!
My name is Erik and I'm currently training to become a proffesional helicopter pilot (PPL-H/CPL-H/ATPL) at Northern Helicopters in Jönköping Sweden..Great school by the way!. I must say that it's amazing to find so many people that share my passion for helicopters and helicopter flying, and I'm happy to be a part of this network :}

I'm currently employed (third year) by Airlift Helicopter Sweden AB and I'm loving it (even though I'm still in the groundcrew). It would be nice to see some pics from lime operations and forest fertilizing around the world.(that's what we do). I'll try to post some pictures from Northern Helicopters and Airlift as soon as I figure out how to do it :)

Take care and fly safe!! :ok:
With kind regards//// Erik

Swedude
23rd Mar 2010, 23:51
Good you have come to the right conclusion.

Iam also undertaking the PPL-H training at the moment and have the ambition to progress further if it works out.

So how far have you progressed with your training?

My training center is in Stockholm at Bromma airport.

Br

Schweizer300pilot
24th Mar 2010, 18:50
I'm currently at 34 hours and still have a couple of exams to complete, so I hope I'll be done with my PPL-H at the end of next month=) then on to ATPL :}
So you're training on the R22 then? How is that workin' out for ya so far? progression?

Swedude
24th Mar 2010, 19:29
Iam beginner deluxe, just did my fifth session.

Instructor have just let me take collective,cyclic and pedals at the same time.

So practicing hover, and take of and land from 1meter.

When in the sky its easier much easier.

So at 34 hours you practice alone then?

How is that heli? Stable?

FLY 7
24th Mar 2010, 20:37
I trained on a a 300C in the UK, and although I've moved on to turbine I still fly the 300 whenever I can. Fabulous little helicopter - very safe and and lots of fun.

haukurhardar
2nd Aug 2012, 11:53
hi everybody. does someone experiance from studying at Northen Helichopters in jönköping , Sweden.??

Looks good at the homepage but I would like to hear from someone who has been there.

thanks ..

Haukur Harðar

FYR
2nd Aug 2012, 13:02
Hi Haukur

Try contacting some of these guys on Facebook, they seem to be studying there atm Log In | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/groups/351801184858793/)

Good luck!

haukurhardar
3rd Aug 2012, 11:51
thank you .. will try this.

tony 1969
3rd Aug 2012, 18:01
And use the PPrune search function

And search for the CEO by name...

Peter PanPan
12th Sep 2012, 08:27
Are these folks a legit organization? I have been trying to get a hold of them for the last week, both through email and phone a different hours: they don't respond to emails and whenever you call their front desk employee answers but tells you that no one is available and that no other email address exist other than the general "info" address. If any of you fellow Ppruners know a bit more about this mysterious swedish flight school and wouldn't mind sharing any info about them I'd appreciate. :ok:

Aesir
12th Sep 2012, 08:59
Call Gudlaugur Vidarsson in Grindavik. He did his CPL with them and was very pleased.

2beers
17th Sep 2012, 18:53
There are better schools in Sweden, with good reputations. Probably more expensive but you often get what you pay for...

I know that they for quite a period of time were not allowed to operate training-flights from their home base, not ideal for a helicopter school.

Good luck!
/2beers

Peter PanPan
18th Sep 2012, 20:43
@2beers: you make it sound like Northern is a cheap outfit, I find them quite pricey already. What do you mean by "you get what you pay for"? That seems to be one of the favorite lines within the flight schools industry. Any reviews for Swedish flight schools? Perhaps it's better to just skip them all and go directly to Billund in Denmark.

Sick or ski
8th Jan 2013, 18:48
PM me if you want I've flown and studied there. Not everything that glitters is gold.

oscaR22
4th Feb 2013, 00:57
Hi All,
I'm just about to make the next step from PPL to CPL and am considering my options. I want to do an integrated course and Northern Helicopters apears to tick many of the boxes, but I'm struggling to find anything about them/opinions of their setup or reputation. This is a little concerning. The other option is 43 air school in SA which has a huge, long standing reputation, and lots of sunshine, but a lot further from the UK and home.
Any info is appreciated.
Cheers

Savoia
4th Feb 2013, 08:26
There seem to be a number of unanswered questions as well as unfulfilled promises on this wee thread.

Northern Helicopters

Northern Helicopters was founded in 2008 with a single Hughes (Schweizer) 300 offering flight training operations based at Jönköping (instead of Halmstad which had been their originally intended operating base).

They went on to become the first Scandinavian operator of the Cabri G2 in mid-2010. The school opened a new facility at the airport in Västerås in late 2010. In mid-2011 the company established a JAR-OPS company in Romania, through which it offers commercial operations in Sweden, initially with a Bell 206 YR-MRA (ex. SE-JNI).

NH now offers flight training in the Cabri G2 (SE-JNE) with turbine transition onto the EC120 and offer type ratings and 'advanced' training courses on additional types too.

They are known (at present) for their offer to take you from "zero to CPL in 12 months for €55,000".

Regarding how 'sound' and professional their services. Its good to listen to the comments of others but .. I recommend to anyone who is serious, go visit them, talk with them, ask for references from past students, speak with past students and, armed with factual information, make your own assessment.

Northern Helicopters Website (http://www.nheli.se/)

KsCQ3_58PBY

I'm currently employed (third year) by Airlift Helicopter Sweden AB and I'm loving it (even though I'm still in the groundcrew). It would be nice to see some pics from lime operations and forest fertilizing around the world.(that's what we do). I'll try to post some pictures from Northern Helicopters and Airlift as soon as I figure out how to do it.

It was a great shame that this gentleman was unable to post any photos as the Swedish scenery tends to make for good photography. He asked for photos of 'lime operations' or liming and these are always great fun to see!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tRIEJF4566s/UQ910DZK0kI/AAAAAAAALxk/J33ReC5e7vc/s895/Laroy+Flyg+AS250B3+Karlshamn%2C+Sweden+11+Mar+04+%28Rickard+ Gillberg%29.jpg
Laroy Flyg AS250B3 SE-JHE over Karlshamn in Sweden on 11th March 2004 (Photo: Rickard Gillberg)

This Laroy Flyg B3 was engaged in 'liming' to control the acidifiction of Sweden's lakes. In 2004 Laroy Flyg spread over 40,000 tonnes of lime on Sweidish lakes.

Nubian
4th Feb 2013, 10:43
We do not hire any instructors that has previous experience

Has Ryanair started with Helicopters??!

2beers
4th Feb 2013, 12:05
My own training was done abroad so only personal experience is from an IR. A fact is that Proflight Nordic and Arlanda Helicopter have both a solid reputation in Sweden with negligible risk of losing money on any pre-paid version. Information can be found on All you need to know about helicopters in Sweden - Nordic Rotors (http://www.nordicrotors.com/) about schools and companies in Sweden.

Northern Helicopters operate a B206 doing joy flights. But they think it is too expensive to do it on A Swedish AOC, so they have a Romanian AOC with a Romanian registered helicopter operating full time in Sweden. Not the kind of outfit where I would spend my money. Search YR-MRA on the above site.

Good luck!
/2beers

tony 1969
4th Feb 2013, 18:34
All from the above posts
And use the PPRuNe search function

And search for the CEO by name...

Northern Helicopters operate a B206 doing joy flights. But they think it is too expensive to do it on A Swedish AOC, so they have a Romanian AOC with a Romanian registered helicopter operating full time in Sweden. Not the kind of outfit where I would spend my money.

I recommend to anyone who is serious, go visit them, talk with them, ask for references from past students, speak with past students and, armed with factual information, make your own assessment.

?????

paco
5th Feb 2013, 06:35
Heliair Sweden will shortly have an approval as well, if it is not already rubber stamped.

Phil

vaibronco
5th Feb 2013, 08:29
Northern Helicopters operate a B206 doing joy flights. But they think it is too expensive to do it on A Swedish AOC, so they have a Romanian AOC with a Romanian registered helicopter operating full time in Sweden. Not the kind of outfit where I would spend my money.

Now more than ever
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/506931-atr72-incident-fco.html :eek: